Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Drexell University in Philly...

Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    So...here's my thoughts on this:

Fuck their policy, your own safety trumps their imbecilic fears and safety rules.
    Carry concealed, and they most likely won't know. Also, they can't legally do anything to you other than ask you to leave (now, if you don't then they can nail ya for tresspassing).

Disclaimer: I AM NOT A LAWYER AND NOTHING I SAY CAN BE TAKEN AS LEGAL COUNSEL*
    I know plenty of folks who do, and as you said, as long as you don't do anything stupid, there's no reason that anyone will ever know if you're properly cc'ing. (There was an idiot who "dropped" his Glock 23 in the campus library last year - needless to say, don't do that)

God forbid you ever have to use it, well then, I'm sure that the consequences must be less than the danger you faced, which in my mind makes facing the consequences absolutely worth it.

(Bucks County)

Basically, if you are not a student they have no recourse against you for breaking their policy. And yes, DUPD is very anti-weapon. They need to carry .40's because it's a rough area and they are the POLICE...but god forbid if anyone else does

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by worker987 View Post
    It's POLICY - NOT A LAW!
    ^^^THIS^^^

wear a dark t-shirt and CC. who gives a shit about university policy if youre not a student? what are they going to do, send you to the principal? please. they worst they can do is ask you to leave, and then, if you refuse, report you for tresspassing. given how many shootings occur on and around that campus, id take the risk and go CC.

IANAL

(Philadelphia County)

And even if you are a student, the inherent risks and complications of getting caught (and consequences) should be weighed against your safety, and you should make a personal decision, and be ready to face the consequences either way.

I am absolutely not advocating for anyone to intentionally break any established rules and or by-laws of any institution, I am merely suggesting that one's personal safety and security (and peace of mind) might be worth enough to oneself to warrant the inherent risks, and that the decision may be made as a personal one.

(Montgomery County)

If you're not a student, why go on campus at all? DUPD cannot prohibit you from carrying on public sidewalks within the University City area. They can only prohibit you from carrying on DU property, which, for me, is done so rarely now that I am no longer a student.

(Montgomery County)

Im bringing this thread back to life in order to ask my own question....is it not state law that also bans carrying a firearm on public AND private school property? Would that not make it illegal as well as against drexel's policy? I ask because ill be a new student there and the amount of muggings and robberies that happen on campus is insane.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by football061 View Post
    Im bringing this thread back to life in order to ask my own question....is it not state law that also bans carrying a firearm on public AND private school property? Would that not make it illegal as well as against drexel's policy? I ask because ill be a new student there and the amount of muggings and robberies that happen on campus is insane.
    State law only prohibits carry for primary and secondary schools - public or private. This does not include colleges or universities.

I am not a lawyer.

Indeed, private universities are not included in the law. I carried on that campus every day for 3 years, shot on the rifle range, and was in the ROTC there. It's none of their business how I protect myself and others. The campus itself wasn't extremely dangerous back then, but the neighborhood was and is. Even the panhandlers are violent. There was one back then who used to hit people with a broom if you didn't give him money. He was asking for money for food, and one day I offered him a can of food, which he promptly refused and swung the broom. Can't trade a can of corn for heroin I guess. He was shot with a BB gun from one of the frat houses. I'm sure he's dead by now.

(Montgomery County)

This really sucks. If there was ONE place I'd really wish I could carry it would be on this campus. Basically as a student the certain punishment of getting caught would be expulsion and most likely the inability to attend any other local colleges with that on your rapsheet. But seriously.....I've received 2 safety messages already in the last 3 days from Drexel that there has been a mugging at gun point and just today a "strong arm" robbery. All cases the robbers/muggers flee and haven't been caught. To make it worse I'll be taking night classes and be walking the campus at night.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by football061 View Post
    This really sucks. If there was ONE place I'd really wish I could carry it would be on this campus. Basically as a student the certain punishment of getting caught would be expulsion and most likely the inability to attend any other local colleges with that on your rapsheet.
    The penalty for disobeying is that, but complying could be the death sentence. Funny how that works, isn't it? Decisions, decisions.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast