Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Whats your Back up for your Home Defense Pump?

1919A4......

Every day's a Saturday

(Delaware County)

Don't know if I even want to reply after edritchy. My hd shotty is an 870 clone and the backup is my model 10-8. I figure it is best to keep it simple because I am not at my best when awaken from a sound sleep. I also have knives scatted around my house for times when I have to keep it quiet.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    Don't know if I even want to reply after edritchy. My hd shotty is an 870 clone and the backup is my model 10-8. I figure it is best to keep it simple because I am not at my best when awaken from a sound sleep. I also have knives scatted around my house for times when I have to keep it quiet.
    Lets face it most of the time you will never get to a backup. If your primary weapon does not end the problem real quick it's likely that the games over for you anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by edritchey View Post
    Lets face it most of the time you will never get to a backup. If your primary weapon does not end the problem real quick it's likely that the games over for you anyway.

456 - Probably but having "No plans is a definite plan for failure"!
    I also have a AK and Chinese Ithaca 12 gauge along with a slew of 96s/92 ready for duty along with cameras along the perimeters. That SMG Noah spoke of sure sounds nice.

Adding on to what Asmodeus6 stated the Real deal of firing inside your home in the dark the muzzle blast and loud boom could leave you temporally blind and deaf!!! But alive.

I've done some night shooting outside (lots flaming) but not much inside a dark home (of course gear up at the range). Who has with no ear protection and how bad is the muzzle blast and noise from a pistol then what about a Shotgun!!
    Last edited by Neko456; August 3rd, 2011 at 08:42 AM.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    I've done some night shooting outside (lots flaming) but not much inside a dark home (of course gear up at the range). Who has with no ear protection and how bad is the muzzle blast and noise from a pistol then what about a Shotgun!!
    I think pistols are worse without ear plugs. Shotguns are just a big boom but the pistol is a very loud crack. Having said that, I do use .45 ACP for defense and carry because I only want to be responsible for one projectile every time I pull the trigger. You really only need one if you place it properly and the adrenaline associated with a life or death situation would probably negate the temporary headache that comes with firing without hearing protection. Honestly though, birdshot probably has enough energy to kill but not over penetrate. Slugs and steel shot are a terrible idea for defense.

(Lancaster County)

Remington 1100 on one side of the bed and Marlin 336 on the other. I really wish our bedroom was farther away from the door than it is, but we make do with what we have.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    456 - Probably but having "No plans is a definite plan for failure"!
    I also have a AK and Chinese Ithaca 12 gauge along with a slew of 96s/92 ready for duty along with cameras along the perimeters. That SMG Noah spoke of sure sounds nice.

Adding on to what Asmodeus6 stated the Real deal of firing inside your home in the dark the muzzle blast and loud boom could leave you temporally blind and deaf!!! But alive.

Here's what I found comparing the noise of some of these guns.

http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_gunfirenoise.shtml

Table 1. SHOTGUN NOISE DATA (DECIBEL AVERAGES)

.410 Bore 28" barrel 150dB
    26" barrel 150.25dB
    18 _" barrel 156.30dB
    20 Gauge 28" barrel 152.50dB
    22" barrel 154.75dB
    12 Gauge 28" barrel 151.50dB
    26" barrel 156.10dB
    18 _" barrel 161.50dB

Dr. Krammer continues to say that shotgun noise averaged slightly more that 150dB. This is approximately 14dB beyond the threshold of pain, and more than sufficient to cause sudden hearing loss with complications.

Table 2. CENTERFIRE RIFLE DATA

.223, 55GR. Commercial load 18 _" barrel 155.5dB
    .243 in 22" barrel 155.9dB
    .30-30 in 20" barrel 156.0dB
    7mm Magnum in 20" barrel 157.5dB
    .308 in 24" barrel 156.2dB
    .30-06 in 24" barrel 158.5dB
    .30-06 in 18 _" barrel 163.2dB
    .375 — 18" barrel with muzzle brake 170 dB
    Krammer adds that sound pressure levels for the various pistols and ammunition tested yielded an average mean of 157.5 dB, which is greater than those previously shown for shotgun and rifle noise levels. There was also a greater range, from 152.4dB to 164.5dB, representing 12 dB difference, or more than 10 time as much acoustic energy for the top end of the pistol spectrum. It should be noticed that this figure of 164.5 dB approaches the practical limit of impulse noise measurement capability inherent in most modern sound level meters.

Table 3. CENTERFIRE PISTOL DATA

.25 ACP 155.0 dB
    .32 LONG 152.4 dB
    .32 ACP 153.5 dB
    .380 157.7 dB
    9mm 159.8 dB
    .38 S&W 153.5 dB
    .38 Spl 156.3 dB
    .357 Magnum 164.3 dB
    .41 Magnum 163.2 dB
    .44 Spl 155.9 dB
    .45 ACP 157.0 dB
    .45 COLT 154.7 dB

Quote Originally Posted by Misery556 View Post
    I think pistols are worse without ear plugs. Shotguns are just a big boom but the pistol is a very loud crack. Having said that, I do use .45 ACP for defense and carry because I only want to be responsible for one projectile every time I pull the trigger.You really only need one if you place it properly "and the adrenaline associated with a life or death situation would probably negate the temporary ringing without hearing protection and headache that comes with. Honestly though, birdshot probably has enough energy to kill but not over penetrate. Slugs and steel shot are a terrible idea for defense.
    456 - What about this natural means of protection? Some say it it works but you have to ask them twice. I've shot guns without protection didn't hurt but i can't hear as well as others. I'm not sure that really works except for blocking pain, you still lose your hearing slightly.
    Last edited by Neko456; August 5th, 2011 at 08:50 AM.

(Jefferson County)

No pump shotguns are allowed in my house. ..my HD shotty is my general purpose SxS hammered coachgun. Every other gun in the house is a backup.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Pump shotguns are too slow for my tastes.

My Beretta 1200fp will put 7 rds of 12 pellet 00 buck downrange in under 2.5 seconds. That's more than double the effective rate of fire of a full auto Mac 11 SMG. About the only thing that can compete with that level of firepower is a minigun.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast