Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: Brown Bear/Silver Bear? Steel Cased Russian Ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I know it has been mentioned, but the steel used for most of this, even if the jackets on the bullets are plated steel, is a very mild steel and should not cause much concern for wear. BUT, even it wear was a concern, by the time it mattered, your cost savings should more than pay for the parts.
    Indeed. Seeing as I wrote the op almost a year ago I can say that I've shot approximately one buttload of steel cased ammo since and have had no ill effects aside from the occasional hard primer. And the fact that some Russian stuff is kinda stinky. Aside from that it's been smooth sailing.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I know it has been mentioned, but the steel used for most of this, even if the jackets on the bullets are plated steel, is a very mild steel and should not cause much concern for wear.

To elaborate, the steel used in forming cartridge cases MUST by definition be for "deep draw" stamping, and that usually means dead soft. The stamped steel case blanks are annealed (heated to soften the metal, aka "draw out the temper") at several points during the forming process lest the cases crack, because the steel work hardens during each step of the forming process.

I've done Rockwell hardness on several types of steel cases from former Soviet Union and East Germany, present day Russia, China, Hungary, and Czechosovakia. Most of the cases tested with HRb =48 to 65. This is "b" scale, very soft compared to ordnance and tool steels. For example, the apparent hardness of AK, AR, and FAL extractors and bolts on are typically HRc = 48 to 56. Some of these gun parts won't file -- a file just skates over the surface without getting a "bite". Some of these parts must be ground to be adjusted because a file won't work. That is SO much harder than HRb 48 to 65 that NO WAY will a steel case scratch a bolt or extractor, but an extractor hook READILY mars/scratches a steel cartridge case. So what's going to wear out what?

Steel cases will wear out the contacting parts of a quality designed and constructed modern firearm? Not in a lifetime of shooting.

Noah
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; March 6th, 2011 at 08:03 PM.
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    To elaborate, the steel used in forming cartridge cases MUST by definition be for "deep draw" stamping, and that usually means dead soft. The stamped steel case blanks are annealed (heated to soften the metal, aka "draw out the temper") at several points during the forming process lest the cases crack, because the steel work hardens during each step of the forming process.

I've done Rockwell hardness on several types of steel cases from former Soviet Union and East Germany, present day Russia, China, Hungary, and Czechosovakia. Most of the cases tested with HRb =48 to 65. This is "b" scale, very soft compared to ordnance and tool steels. For example, the apparent hardness of AK, AR, and FAL extractors and bolts on are typically HRc = 48 to 56. Some of these gun parts won't file -- a file just skates over the surface without getting a "bite". Some of these parts must be ground to be adjusted because a file won't work. That is SO much harder than HRb 48 to 65 that NO WAY will a steel case scratch a bolt or extractor, but an extractor hook READILY mars/scratches a steel cartridge case. So what's going to wear out what?

Steel cases will wear out the contacting parts of a quality designed and constructed modern firearm? Not in a lifetime of shooting.

Noah
    Excellent. It is nice to see real numbers as well.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123