Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: PSP switching to Walther PDP 4.5” model

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    I hate the "modern 9mm" argument. The same "modern" technology is put into the larger calibers as well. IT SIMPLY COMES DOWN TO COST and lower recoil. The 9mm is just easier to shoot than a .40, 10mm, or .45 ACP.
    Correct. So why carry a bulkier, harder to shoot, more expensive, etc. caliber if the performance is almost the same?

I remember when our 9mm was Remington 9BP. Very low performing ammo. Then the caliber wars started with .40 S&W and 45ACP. Then commissioner Charles Ramsey allowed us to carry whatever of those three calibers we wanted and the old wheel gun people who kept their 38 Special.

I chose the .40 S&W because everything fit into my current rig setup and because some range guys showed me a side by side comparison of the different calibers hitting a vest strike plate. The .40 made the largest dent.

Ironically the ammo for each caliber was the same brand and model. It*s now Winchester Ranger T Series. But the variety became a logistic nightmare so we are now voluntarily going back to 9mm. I intend to keep the .40 until I retire if at all possible.

The newer 9mm ammo performs much better than the 9BP. 9mm handguns fit smaller hands much better and the recoil is more manageable for more shooters. It is easier to just have one caliber for inventory purposes. And yes, it is much cheaper. So all around I believe it is a sound decision.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pag23 View Post
    What do you base your opinion on? I thought the PSP might go Glock 45 or 47.....
    The OP by Philadelphia Patriot has the Invitation for Bid issued by PA and it specifically states only the Walther will be accepted.

I would like to hear about their selection process.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    The OP by Philadelphia Patriot has the Invitation for Bid issued by PA and it specifically states only the Walther will be accepted.

I would like to hear about their selection process.
    Someone who wrote the bid likes the Walther better.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pag23 View Post
    What do you base your opinion on? I thought the PSP might go Glock 45 or 47.....
    They apparently hate Glock. Before the P227, PSP tried switching from the Glock 37 to the Glock 21. I do not know the full story, but apparently the Glock 21s they had took a major shit during transition training. This left such a bad taste in PSP*s mouth that they then decided to go to Sig P227. Apparently, they still hate Glock because every state agency I know of who issues service weapons, carry Glock.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    They apparently hate Glock. Before the P227, PSP tried switching from the Glock 37 to the Glock 21. I do not know the full story, but apparently the Glock 21s they had took a major shit during transition training. This left such a bad taste in PSP*s mouth that they then decided to go to Sig P227. Apparently, they still hate Glock because every state agency I know of who issues service weapons, carry Glock.
    And was it PSP or NJSP who after switching to Sig, the guns they received, which were manufactured in a new USA (?) based plant, were of such poor quality compared to the test guns, they dumped the guns and the contract and went with Glock. Must have been NJSP.

Didn't that PSP training instructor "accidentally" kill his wife while cleaning his Glock? If my memory is correct maybe that had something to do with it?
    “A Republic, if you can keep it.” - Benjamin Franklin

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    And was it PSP or NJSP who after switching to Sig, the guns they received, which were manufactured in a new USA (?) based plant, were of such poor quality compared to the test guns, they dumped the guns and the contract and went with Glock. Must have been NJSP.
    Yeah the P229 I think had a few issues so they jumped on the Glock bandwagon

(Bucks County)

Rumor was they were testing FN and the P320....the recent P320 publicity put a nail in that coffin.I

Glock screwed up with the G21 issue as they were too arrogant to fix the problem, I can't remember what it was though.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by staylo View Post
    Didn't that PSP training instructor "accidentally" kill his wife while cleaning his Glock? If my memory is correct maybe that had something to do with it?
    I believe it came out later it wasn't an accident.....

(Susquehanna County)

Sounds like an expensive choice to me. Though for some people 9mm is much easier to train with than .45 anything!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast