Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: S&W 500 ES BUG Worthy?

Nope, didnt give much thought hence the forum post, it's mainly being bought to just have a 500 to shoot, I hadn't even known they made the short barrel for it, so when I saw that, I was debating weather i should get the short barrel so it can sub in as a BUG giving it added personal value. With how big after someone pointed out the frame dimensions are, I probably wont be using it as a BUG. I think I would carry it only if for some reason my XD was out of service but that'd be it.

Yes, i want to overpenetrate and hopefully clip the spine, I want a huge wound
    right thru the otherside. Everyone that gets robbed down here in the city is
    alone and mostly at night. Again I do have my HK45 with 200gr Doubletaps if
    I see others around. I can draw either.

>>>>>>the question is if the extreme size, lack of ammo capacity and recoil is worth it because of the stopping power..

I got the 500 in my hands now bouncing it araound and I dont see why people
    think its heavy. Its well balanced too.

Ammo capacity, yes it is only a 5 shot but I have HK in other pocket for a quick new
    york reload.

Now if i could just put the damn thing down! Love this monster.

take care
    TGH

Quote Originally Posted by Thaigirl Hunter View Post
    Yes, i want to overpenetrate and hopefully clip the spine, I want a huge wound
    right thru the otherside. Everyone that gets robbed down here in the city is
    alone and mostly at night. Again I do have my HK45 with 200gr Doubletaps if
    I see others around. I can draw either.

Your focus on trying to "obliterate" your target is completely blinding you of other issues. If you are implying that you are willing to sacrifice an innocent bystanders life, just to prove you can shoot a big gun at someone, maybe you should seriously reconsider carrying a firearm. We as defensive shooters should be concerned with stopping a threat by the LEAST means necessary, not the most. For your own sake, I hope you never have an opportunity to fire your gun in a defensive situation. Remember, this forum is public. It wouldn't take a DA long to figure out your online aliases, search your posts here or other forums and construe from your posts about huge wound channels and such that your shooting was a premeditated attack waiting for a happening.

Saving yourself from being robbed is not worth taking an innocent bystander's life. No way, No how.

I hear what your saying, but read my post closely. I said I have the option to
    draw a 45acp if people are around.

Did you ever see that movie "Omega Man?" Well here the city empties
    out and and the goblins show up after dark. I am not worried about blasting
    thru a BG because there wont be anyone around, and its all brick walls
    here, not houses. And yes I do want to obliterate the BG before he obliterates me.
    I'll tell any prosecuter that and how could they fault me. The BGs rob you when
    you are isolated.

-------------------------

On a different note there was a forum where a police pathologists posting
    I think named "meat- something". He got got me thinking of the higher
    powered rounds as he recommended .357 and above. I have done a search
    and cant find it, someone remember this? Anyway he had like 25 years of examining
    bullet riddled bodies and had alot of interesting insight into stopping power
    vs calibers etc.
    He had like 2-3 bodies a day in a big city. Can someone post a link if they can.

Regards
    TGH

I'll tell any prosecuter that and how could they fault me.
    They'll fault you, because they get paid to. It is not about if you were morally correct or not.

If the city empties out and the "goblins" come out in such force, why would you be out there with them? Seems like a simple choice to avoid a bad situation.

If you are so confident that you can make a split second decision on how many bad guys there are, what is behind all of them, if the walls behind them are strong enough to stop a .500 round, if the round has a possibility of ricocheting somewhere not wanted after over penetrating, draw the "correct" gun for the job, and somehow manage to draw in time to be useful, so be it.

As for me, I'll take a lower powered side arm filled with bullets designed to stop within a human target with lower risk of over penetration, and training.

Back on topic.... Buy a .500 for the novelty. Buy a .500 for hunting. Don't expect it to be the best self defense gun.

Lucas,

Please dont tell me you are carrying a 22LR.. ? Taser?

Why do I live in the city? Well its very convenient for me. The area I live in itself
    is the "Cultural District" where all the theatres/restaurants are and its a very rich/expensive
    area and they are trying to clean it up. Yes I agree with you if I did volunteerily
    live in a bad area like the Hill district or Braddock yes thats not a good choice.
    I am hoping it turns around here. If it gets worse I guess I will move.

On the overpenetration stuff, a 357 sig or 10mm 45 etc has the potential to
    zip right thru someone. I would be also worried about a "missed shot". I think
    even the police are only 20-30% accurate?

take care and get some firepower on ya.
    TGH

Lucas,

Please dont tell me you are carrying a 22LR.. ? Taser?

Why do I live in the city? Well its very convenient for me. The area I live in itself
    is the "Cultural District" where all the theatres/restaurants are and its a very rich/expensive
    area and they are trying to clean it up. Yes I agree with you if I did volunteerily
    live in a bad area like the Hill district or Braddock yes thats not a good choice.
    I am hoping it turns around here. If it gets worse I guess I will move.

On the overpenetration stuff, a 357 sig or 10mm 45 etc has the potential to
    zip right thru someone. I would be also worried about a "missed shot". I think
    even the police are only 20-30% accurate?

take care and get some firepower on ya.
    TGH

With 25 rounds of 230gr JHP .45ACP, and 7 rounds of .380 DPX as a backup, I am not undergunned, thank you. The whole police accuracy debate is entirely unrelated.
    I didn't question why you live in the city. I questioned why you would voluntarily place yourself out with the "goblins" at night in shady areas. There are plenty of nice areas in the city.

(Allegheny County)

I've shot both the Smith & Wesson 500 .500 Mag 8-3/8" and the Smith & Wesson 500 .500 Mag 4", both had barrel compensators.

I'll tell you the 4" version kicked really high and hard. The longer barrel didn't kick as much. I can't imagine how hard the 2" would be. I put five rounds through each of them and that was enough for me. I wouldn't consider carrying either of the weapons, they were just for fun at the gun range. For me they are too bulky and heavy to carry for several hours. But if someone else can carry and use this weapon for SD, well then that's a person I want by my side in a jam!!!

My favorite carry is a SIG P220 in 45ACP, my BUG is a Kel-Tec P3AT in .380
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123