Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 26 of 146 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: ATF Just Released Their Brace Ruling

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    I just saw the article and was going to post here,good thing I checked first lol....anyhow,I suspect that Gaetz's act and the ATF share one thing in common and that is that neither of them will be going anywhere.
    the act it self isnt going anywhere but Gaetz did point out that they can start going after the ATF in other ways. i thought that they could remove individuals approved budgets.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Obviously everyone should comply.
    Is it?
    I'm guilty, I was wrong. When the government pulled this shit with bump stocks I said "it's a plastic toy, what do I care, and besides, I don't own one". Well here we are today having the same conversations over arm braces. If this doesn't stop next year we will be talking about your buffer tube or hand stop. It's not so clear to me that complying with whatever comes is the best route. I don't know what I'm going to do just yet but I doubt there's an SBR in my future.
    The Hostler

PickingPA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by akley88 View Post
    the act it self isnt going anywhere but Gaetz did point out that they can start going after the ATF in other ways. i thought that they could remove individuals approved budgets.
    The House Appropriations Committee carries an inordinate amount of power and controls the money that funds federal agencies. Gaetz is not on that committee, however he is influential among the members. He is a member of the Judiciary Committee, which wields its own sledge and is chaired by Jim Jordan.

Gaetz’s Act will not pass the Senate, even if it happens to get through committee and pass in the House. It is however not an exercise in blowing hot air. The IRS & ATF are not Constitutionally established or protected agencies, unlike Congressional appropriations

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    There's not really a helpful answer, so I'm stuck at sarcasm. Nobody has a definitive grasp of how narrowly or broadly the AFT is going to be interpreting this shit. As written, they could say anything with a buffer tube or receiver extension now counts as an SBR. You want to be 100% safe, disassembly is the only guarantee that it is at this point or quite frankly any point going forward, since they can change their mind on a whim about what's legal and not. Registration is probably a close second, at least you'll get the cool stamp of approval and be able to put a stock on it. Those are the "safe" options, now are they the best options is going to be a personal thing.
    But you can't put a stock on it. If you want a stock on a pistol you still need to pay the tax. In order to qualify for the tax free registration, the gun must have a brace and cannot be changed to a stock later without re-registering and paying the tax. This is not a "free" SBR in the traditional sense. The ATF can't waive that fee on real SBRs. This is a special case for braced guns, only. They know that this will get shot down eventually. The last thing they want to do is have to pay back the $200 tax on even a percentage of 10-40 million guns if they tried to make everyone pay up.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    But you can't put a stock on it. If you want a stock on a pistol you still need to pay the tax. In order to qualify for the tax free registration, the gun must have a brace and cannot be changed to a stock later without re-registering and paying the tax. This is not a "free" SBR in the traditional sense. The ATF can't waive that fee on real SBRs. This is a special case for braced guns, only. They know that this will get shot down eventually. The last thing they want to do is have to pay back the $200 tax on even a percentage of 10-40 million guns if they tried to make everyone pay up.
    That*s wrong, once approved you can put a stock on it, it will be an sbr. From the ATF faq page.

Today was a good day!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    This ^^^^
    They know it's probably getting shot down, they don't what to be involved in thousands of $200 law suites. They want two things from this, to judge compliance levels and to add more names to their back door gun registrations. They have been after a national registration for many years, it's.their wet dream. This brings it a step closer.
    The Hostler

(Northampton County)

Default Re: ATF Just Dropped Their Brace Ruling

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I'm wondering if I should take advantage of this to get a free SBR approval. Do we still need to get them etched? It looked to me like they could be left with the original mfgs markings but I do get lost in all that mumbo jumbo.
    The ATF's FAQ says no.

If the SBR equipped with a “stabilizing brace” is registered within the 120-day tax forbearance
    period, the possessor is allowed to adopt the markings on the firearm. The maker’s marking
    exception is only applicable to firearms that are registered pursuant to the final rule. If the
    firearm is a personally made firearm, the possessor must mark in accordance with 27 CFR 478.92
    & 479.102 prior to submitting the E-Form 1.

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    That*s wrong, once approved you can put a stock on it, it will be an sbr. From the ATF faq page.

Interesting. This is counter to other info I had. I sit corrected.

(Lycoming County)

See, clear as fucking mud. I'm going to guess it's intentionally so also, since nobody seems to know WTF is going on.

(Chester County)

Death by a thousand cuts.

Page 26 of 146 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast