Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Phishing out the right answer

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    politely suggest that they try using the search feature. (which I think SUCKS beyond belief - I can't even find things that I'VE posted.)
    agree'd you can type in the exact name of a thread and nothing will come up... VB searches are awful, not PAFOA's fault though...

either way its the internet, your not gonna not have the bullshit answers, assholes, extremest and a few other things...

(Berks County)

So when dealing with people who come here and ask a $1,000,000 question that already has been answered in previous threads, maybe the best advice is to read those other threads.
    Maybe we form a commitee to review all new threads before they become active for posting, and have a vote...then another commitee review...then an open comment period from contributing members.....

I have faith the Moderators and Admins will kill a thread if something illegal or questionable is brought up.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Cambria County)

I have used the search. And haven't been able to find a thread that I know I started or was interested in. Case in Point. A Kel tec 9 that I someone was selling. Took me forever to find that thread again. It was how he spelled it.

Problem is what you call the thread when you start it. How it is spelled.

Now If i search for Fishing, I'm not going to find this thread (gee i spelled it wrong). Or if I search for Repeat postings. I won't find this thread.

It only searches for certain words, spelled a certain way. It isn't perfect. I couldn't find Kalashnikitty for about 2 days cause it was spelled differently by one letter. I knew it was on here. But I couldn't find it.

If you don't want to answer their question. Move on. No one is making you. If no one answer them. They will get bored with the site and leave us all alone. Would that be better. Then it will just be us knowledgeable people on here and screw the new guy....

But if the new comer ask a question. I for one have no problem answer the same question 500 times for 500 new people, cause those 500 people have just found this site and don't truly know how to use it yet. Hopefully they will stick around to make 500 postings, cause some of us took the time to answer those 500 questions over and over again. If you don't want to answer them. DON'T.
    Last edited by Mtbkski; September 23rd, 2007 at 02:58 PM.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Cambria County)

The subject of "using the search feature" has been addressed by Frency multiple times now.

Mods, please close this thread.

Gotcha!
    I disagree with you and Frenchy big time on this one. I think Frenchy needs to take a break and get away from the computer for a while. He is getting edgey. Normally you post great stuff, but if you go back and read your comments. They are blunt. Rude and obnoxious.

Guess not all of us were born knowing how this site works. Just be glad they are here.

If your bored with them. Maybe you need to get outside for a while. They are asking for help. And I expected someone like you to give them great advice. Not the smart ass answers that you did in this posting.

To the kid in Philly......

To the 19 year old......

To the......

You need a break Frenchy. This was your worst posting. I at least stir shit for a response. Not to insult newcomers.
    Last edited by Mtbkski; September 23rd, 2007 at 06:33 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I guess teaching apprentices for over 25 years has made me answer the same questions over and over.

For me ( I am a fairly patient person) it is not a big deal.

I will take the time to answer the same question as many times as I want to.

Occasionally, I just pass on certain threads if I feel they are too repetitious.

It's a choice we each can make if and when we choose to read anything posted here..

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

Mtbkski,
    You quoted me in your post above, and then said
    I disagree with you and Frenchy big time on this one.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, because the part you quoted me saying was a JOKE. You see, I don't agree w/Frenchy on this... he has a valid point when it comes to the potential for bad/questionable info being harmful, but I don't agree with the rest of it.

Anything else in my post got you confused?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

The subject of "using the search feature" has been addressed by Frency multiple times now.

Mods, please close this thread.

Gotcha!

Frenchy, your point is valid to some extent.
    Here's what I do... (a) ignore the post. or (b) answer with a brief response and politely suggest that they try using the search feature. (which I think SUCKS beyond belief - I can't even find things that I'VE posted.)

p.s.
    Jules, our first "disagreement" was about allergy meds... I still think of it every time I need a refill! LOL!
    Everything you said at the bottom of your post is true. and yes, you can "swap a gun or two with me" any time.

See. I even forgot what it was about LOL Maybe some day, I will meet you guys at a group shoot, and we can do that gun swapping thing. Heck, I can even bring you a few boxes of Claratin HEHEHEH. Take care,
    Jules

(Cambria County)

Mtbkski,
    You quoted me in your post above, and then said ...

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, because the part you quoted me saying was a JOKE. You see, I don't agree w/Frenchy on this... he has a valid point when it comes to the potential for bad/questionable info being harmful, but I don't agree with the rest of it.

Anything else in my post got you confused?

Yeah, sorry Empty, I realized it to late, I missed the bottom of the thread you did. To much space between them, I thought it was your sign off signature. Didn't realize it was your real response.

I still love you guys. Nothing personal. Especially to Frenchy. I know I find myself on here probably way more than I should be. This site is addicting. I have to make myself get up and go outside from time to time.

I know I drive Lycan crazy asking questions about AR's that I'm sure he has answered a million times over and over. But he just keep answering them, and tellling me to ask again if I'm still not sure. That is what I love about this site. Everyone is welcomed. No matter the experiance you have. And those that have it, Like you Frenchy, readily share that experiance with all, and we all benefit.

(Allegheny County)

If I were trying to discredit this site I would create two different users. One would ask the question and one would give the desired answer. Then I would have my "incident". I think all you can do is have the disclaimer, and when you get these sorts of questions just point them to the official literature, or tell them to call the local sheriff's office. Maybe we can have those links be more promenent, but otherwise what else is there we can do!?
    I say don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    But if the new comer ask a question. I for one have no problem answer the same question 500 times for 500 new people, cause those 500 people have just found this site
    If you notice, I was talking about the same people asking the same question, not new people. Also seems logical the thread when it is the same should be merged to the older thread so the info is easier to find. It is nothing new here to close a thread and redirect it where it is already in progression.

As for taking a break.. That is exactly the point. I am trying to limit my time on the computer to less the 2 hours per day. It often takes me that long to read many posts that already have answers here.
    The reason most of my posts are better then this one, is because I actually sit down, research things, and proofread them so there are not so many "typos" in them.
    I suppose it is a matter of opinion, You can answer the same thing over and over again till it finally gets anchored in ones mind, or you can chose to point them in the right direction where the post is already answered and move on to new information.

As for looking up information here and not finding it, I rarely use the “Search” here, I always Google or use WebCrawler and when looking for info specific to this site, for example as used earlier about ‘Phishing’
    I would search for

Phishing siteafoa.org
    The spiders do a lot more work then you think here.
    For example if I do a search on Google for
    pa. Patriot siteafoa.org
    I can see all his posts. All 26 pages of them on Google.

If I do the same search but ass Mall Ninja in it,
    pa. Patriot mall ninjas siteafoa.org
    I can see there are only 5 posts where he used the words “mall ninja”

PS. there are 17 pages on Google where Emptymag suggests doing a search on PAFOA.

Emptymag search siteafoa.org
    And 27 where I mention it.

there are a total of 61 pages where the word search is used all together.
    Last edited by Frenchy; September 24th, 2007 at 12:54 AM.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast