Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: I moved from Delaware County to Montgomery County do I need to apply for a new ca

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    The LTCF is for PA and reciprocating states...BUT

I think that the address on your LTCF and actual place of residence should match.

But please don't go by what I think.
    Do you believe this to be law or is it just your opinion? If opinion why do you feel this way?

(honest curiousity)
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: I moved from Delaware County to Montgomery County do I need to apply for a new ca

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    Do you believe this to be law or is it just your opinion? If opinion why do you feel this way?

(honest curiousity)
    It's his opinion.

No law states you need to update your address

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    It's his opinion.

No law states you need to update your address
    I know there is no law, I was wondering if Hokkmike did. I am curious why he feels this way.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    In what way?
    The sheriff should notify you shortly before your ltcf expires. If he doesn't have your current address, the notification wont get to you. While I keep pretty good track of these things, sometimes that reminder is handy... especially when life comes at you full force.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    The LTCF is for PA and reciprocating states...BUT

I think that the address on your LTCF and actual place of residence should match.

But please don't go by what I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post

(honest curiousity)
    While there is no law requiring it, if, for some reason, you had to show ID and your LTCF to an LEO it would make for an easier time not having to explain to an LEO why they don't match AND that it doesn't matter they don't match, you know, because an LEO always knows every law on the books ...

Another reason, as mentioned, would be for the notice of an upcoming expiration. DELCO sent me my renewal notice a week after I applied for renewal.

(Northampton County)

Yep. Although after we got married, my wife changd her name and address. Called the issuing Sheriff and updated the info. They wouldn't give her a new card, though. Just know that you could go through the process and still not get a card with the right info...

(Delaware County)

The handling of address changes and lost LTCFs is woeful and varies, county by county, at the whim of the sheriff/PPD.

It's a state-mandated license but the county sheriff administrative crap gets in the way of it working the way you'd think it should. Soberbyker pretty much summed it up. Just imagine if driver's licenses and vehicle registrations were handled that way...

In some ways, you're better off being a non-resident since you have a choice of where to get the darn thing.

(Indiana County)

There are no provisions in the Uniform Firearms Act for effecting an address change for an LTCF, so (a) it's not required, and (b) you couldn't do it even if you wanted to. The license is good until it expires (that's state law). As long as your driver's license is up to date, that's all that should matter. If a cop gets confused over such, it's incumbent upon you to make it his problem, not yours.

On an unrelated case, in 1988 I was living in Mount Lebanon, Pa., just outside of Pittsburgh. My New York State driver's license had a New York City address on it (I was active duty Army, stationed at nearby Oakdale Army Base), and further stated it expired in 1972. Think I didn't have to educate a few LEOs?
    Last edited by Statkowski; November 25th, 2012 at 12:07 PM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_D View Post
    The handling of address changes and lost LTCFs is woeful and varies, county by county, at the whim of the sheriff/PPD.

It's a state-mandated license but the county sheriff administrative crap gets in the way of it working the way you'd think it should. Soberbyker pretty much summed it up. Just imagine if driver's licenses and vehicle registrations were handled that way...
    No.... The process is UNIFORM throughout the state and every county follows the SAME procedure and process.

That being said... many Sheriffs/Chiefs BREAK THE LAW and make up their own policies. Big difference

In some ways, you're better off being a non-resident since you have a choice of where to get the darn thing.
    Totally agree

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    No.... The process is UNIFORM throughout the state and every county follows the SAME procedure and process.

That being said... many Sheriffs/Chiefs BREAK THE LAW and make up their own policies. Big difference
    That's the point I was trying to make (but may have worded it poorly). The UFA SHOULD specifically address the issue so that there is no room for interpretation on how loss or change of address is handled (although that still may not fix the issue). The problem is that the UFA doesn't address it at all (at least I could not find anything under 6109 that says anything about it - but that's not definitive as I have not scoured the whole UFA) so that whatever a sheriff wants to do regarding it is within the realm of the statute since it's neither mandated nor prohibited. That could default to not doing anything, which it usually does. So, yes, this particular item is UNIFORMLY undefined across the state so the "procedure" is NO procedure.

If 18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: (e) (3) (i) said "current address" or "address at time of issuance" rather than just "address" or if clauses were added to specifically handle loss or address change, there should be less ambiguity.

Also, the business of "revoking" a lost license before reissuing it is another sore point since if you were to apply to other states that ask if you have ever had an LTCF revoked, you'd have to answer yes and explain explain the reason for revocation. The PA application does not ask that question. If your D/L is lost or stolen, they don't revoke your old one and issue an entirely new one. You fill out the form, cough up the dough and it gets reissued - there is a procedure to handle it.

I spent many years as a quality assurance liaison between the firm I worked for and the DOD. Because of that, I just hate seeing dangling ends, particularly when it involves something that could have a significant effect on a person's life (in immediate circumstance or extended) - it could be a hassle depending on the amount of accurate knowledge an involved LEO might have about LTCF matters.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast