Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Re: Do you belong to a local Militia

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    No.

My question is, from what, where or from whom do these groups receive their moral authority? That concerns me.

Both the organized and unorganized militias are creatures of the state, sanctioned by the state and governed by the state.

By "state", I mean Pennsylvania. By Pennsylvania I mean "us", its citizens.

Armed bands of citizens can quickly turn into an armed mob. If I encounter an armed group of *citizens* claiming to hold some kind of authority, they better have the papers to prove it. Otherwise it's gonna turn ugly real fast.
    I'd feel better with an armed mob of militiamen than I would an armed mob of police especially after seeing what the police have been doing for the last couple of years.

We never used to have problems with the Sheriff's posse of the old days (besides the racial problems which have subsided quite a bit). LEOs had their chance to show what they could do, and what have we seen. Police murdering people, lying, cheating, stealing, covering up, opening fire at running away people.

When something doesn't work, you come up with a new strategy. I'm not sure what your suggestion is to change the problem of LEO abuses is, but I'm dumbfounded as to what else can be done.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    We never used to have problems with the Sheriff's posse of the old days (besides the racial problems which have subsided quite a bit).
    to be honest, no one really has any idea how many innocent people sheriff's possees of yesteryear killed--black or white.

also, they weren't just random groups of armed citizens...they were deputized--thus making them agents of the government.

in some cases, they were completely corrupt.

i have no problem with militias as long as they don't do anything other than train to resist big brother/foreign invasion in case it ever comes to that, but if they ever start setting up roadblocks or claim some authority over me, i agree with tony...there will be problems.

btw, i am the supreme commander of the allied defense forces of stanistan...we are a militia of one (as i am the only resident of stanistan)

LRT (a.k.a. stan)

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    btw, i am the supreme commander of the allied defense forces of stanistan...we are a militia of one (as i am the only resident of stanistan)

LRT (a.k.a. stan)
    You better watch out, we all know what happened to Peter in Family Guy when he declared his own country. Just don't annex Joe's Pool.

I'm just making suggestions, I wasn't around back then. But I can surely see this isn't working out too well and changes need to be made before people start to fight back.

(Cambria County)

Bands of Armed Citizens. What the heck are we on this site??????

What does this site consist of? I hear a lot of talk about training, stockpiling, what round to buy, what gun to buy, buy lots of magazines with that weapon. Get about 1000 rounds stored up.(sounds like a militia)

Now if things go stupid. Are we better off with all each of these people running around on their own trying to decide what to do and what is best for the neighborhood. Or would belonging to an organized militia improve your chances of survival? Would it make you more beneficial to your State
    in times of trouble.

What if Katrina hit your town. What if four or five of your buddies got together after a disaster, or because your town was rioting (Rodney King night). Wouldn't you have technically, suddenly become a milita? Or are you just a armed citiziens (How will the police know the difference??). Were those armed store owners on top of thier stores forming a militia.

God forbid something does happen. But if it would, wouldn't you and your buddies benefit from having gotten together and practiced some good commen sense techniques. When your all sitting in someones basement or attic and the city is rioting, who will make the decisions for your gang on what you should do. If you had formed a milita. These questions will have an answer for you.

Is there a difference between them (militia) and you (armed citizen)? I just think they have decided to take one more step. You have decided to take one more step, by carrying a handgun. Those around you that don't are concerned about armed citizens roaming the neighborhood. Hmmmmm.

They are preparing for that one step that we hope never comes. But if it does, they probably got a better chance than most of us do.

(don't take offense everyone. I just like to ask questions to make everyone think. I'm not doing it to piss anyone off. I'm trying to get you to think about something before it happens. Once the SHTF it is too late.)
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    as i am the only resident of stanistan
    Try not to get occupied.

LOL
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheHighChild View Post
    Try not to get occupied.

LOL
    Yeah, and I'm thinking a coup would be especially troubling!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Yeah, and I'm thinking a coup would be especially troubling!
    ROFLMAO

But I am not part of a milita or anything, but I wouldnt mind being in one. As with an above poster, if something like katrina etc happened, having an organized force would be a great boon. There are way more citizens than government, and that would have to be supplemented in the event of a disaster.

One example would be if you watch the series Jericho at all. They have somewhat of a town milita now. If it would have been in place before all the bombs and break down of society, it would have helped the town a great deal. Now two months after the SHTF they're getting actually good and organized.

(Cambria County)

Funny you mention the roadblocks. I have been there. Seriously.

Right after the last Johnstown Flood (1976). Marshall Law was announced in Johnstown. As you can imagine. There wasn't much help nearby as far as National Guard. They were spread very thin.

Roadblocks were put up, armed by local citizens armed with deer rifles and shotguns (never remember seeing anything resembling a military weapon) to prevent looters from getting into Johnstown. You had to have a special pass issued by the local military unit to move around the roads. ( I know, we had one issued to us to haul ice for dead bodies down to the hospitals from Johnstown Airport when it was flown in.

Seeing people in plain clothes, waving rifle around, giving orders, was a hell of a lot scarier than seeing someone in camo, waving a rifle, giving orders. I wouldn't have known if they were National Guard or not (either the guy in camo or the plain clothes). But at least the guys in camo looked the part. Those in blue jeans and sweat shirts, they made me nervous. They could have been national guardsman. But being in street clothing, made you wonder about them.

A local militia would have benefited the area tremendously at this time. And I think that is what they are aimed at doing any more.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Allegheny County)

I hear a lot of talk about training, stockpiling, what round to buy, what gun to buy, buy lots of magazines with that weapon. Get about 1000 rounds stored up.(sounds like a militia)

Now if things go stupid. Are we better off with all each of these people running around on their own...
    Mtbkski,
    I hear what you're saying.
    I used to visit another forum that has "survival/scenario/aftermath" categories and I would read them for tips, but mostly for the humor.
    Seems about 95% of those who post are thinking they will "bug out" with 100,000 rds. of ammo, their AK and a pocket knife and live out some sci-fi fantasy-life where they travel by night, killing zombies and drinking water that's been filtered of radiation by dropping in some tablets that they must have a never-ending supply of.
    Being prepared is a good thing. Those who do so will understand that I'm not poking fun of them... I think we all know the types I'm talking about.

Anyway, MY thought is that even without an "organized" militia, we need some amount of support to survive a SHTF scenario and to resist "big brother" alone would be laughable.

(Allegheny County)

Wow, I don't recall that (armed roadblocks) from the flood, but we didn't go driving around much at the time. I do remember how so many bridges were out due to damage, even all the way out your way. We were lucky. lived up on Mt. Hope. Still, there was a trench several feet deep along the road that kept many from leaving their driveways.

I do recall seeing the National Guard trucks and members on the news, helping where they could. I also remember seeing the bodies outside at the temporary morgue up in Geistown(?) near where the Market Basket is located.

I see your point about the confusion with armed people both in and out of "uniform". Never really considered what someone on the "outside" would think if I were to do something like that. Those non-uniformed folk could have had the best intentions in the world and yet some could view them as "kooks".

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast