Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Default Re: Insulting OC cartoon in our paper yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    I have to just about totally agree with the picture, OCers on here come off as nuts to me. Running around screaming IT'S MY RIGHTS LOOK AT MY GUNS HEHEHEHEH" all day, and it has really gotten old. Your actually one of the few OCers I can think of that comes off as down to earth, good guy.
    That's interesting, because I have a completely opposite view. There are only a couple of people I would classify as a nut, and it has nothing to do with their views on firearms.

and it has really gotten old.
    Then here's a suggestion: leave.
    Last edited by ThomasJ; June 23rd, 2008 at 12:52 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    Your actually one of the few OCers I can think of that comes off as down to earth, good guy.
    Both my wife and I resent the implication.

I challenge you to find a post where I discuss OC vs. CC in anything other than a polite, respectful tone. I would also invite you attend any of the OC meets my wife and I have attended, usually with our 3 1/2 year old son along.

We are a normal family, doing normal things, and we happen to OC. Your characterization is unwarranted, bigoted and false.
    Last edited by MrUgly; June 23rd, 2008 at 12:50 PM.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

Quote Originally Posted by steveforopen View Post
    Got a brief chuckle out of it but still...
    What paper was this in?
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

Was the cartoon from a local or national source?

Was the cartoon prompted by some recent incident in the Erie area?

(Luzerne County)

It's all about perspective. I'm sure I am "nuts" in the minds of some that can't grasp the concept of OC.
    I personally fail to see what the big freakin deal about OC is, but I digress...

My point is that XD45 can call me whatever names he wants. No sweat. It only proves his lack of a rational argument.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Indiana County)

At the end of the day this is an anti-gun cartoon, which happens to portray people who carry firearms with them as nuts. Whether or not you are supportive of open carry, the fact remains that the spirit of the cartoon is one against people carrying firearms.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Was the cartoon from a local or national source?

Was the cartoon prompted by some recent incident in the Erie area?
    The cartoon was out of the SLC Tribune.

I think it might've been chosen for the Erie Times News because of our recent open carry dinner two weeks ago, but who knows... OC is a hot topic right now.
    Open Carry: it's whats for dinner.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS View Post
    I can't say I've seen or heard of people OCing in Homewood or the North Side and other high crime areas in the Pittsburgh region.
    I regularly OC in Beechview, Dormont, Mt. Oliver, Troy Hill, Homestead, The Hill, The Strip, Bloomfield, Oakland Downtown... Pretty much anywhere I go in Pittsburgh, which is pretty much the entire city.

I've never had any problems form any City of Pittsburgh officers, and have only once been asked to cover or leave an establishment (Quakersteak in Oakland) and I haven't been back to it since.

XD45... do I honestly come off as that much of a nutjob? If not, I'll have to try harder.

(Allegheny County)

You guys are funny! I'm guessing you don't recall XD45's history on this forum as a shit-stirrer . But then again, he may be on to something. Some people on this forum do seem to have a "special" view of reality
    Toujours prêt

(Luzerne County)

I question the judgment of anyone that feels they need to educate people through intentional display of a firearm. I tend to think of the creepy guy who brings his kids in a van covered in bible verses to McDonalds to hand out religious material and "witness" to non-believers.
    Odd perspective. I simply choose to not hide my gun, sometimes. I think there is an education aspect to doing so, but I do not OC to teach anyone anything. IOW: it is a side benefit.

I'm not against OC. I def don't think it should be illegal. But I can't help but think that there's something not right with people that have to let people know they're carrying a gun.
    I think your reading into peoples intent too hard. Looking for nefarious or mental delinquency where people simply have a different perspective about hiding v not hiding their gun.

As an example, take your last sentence (in bold) and substitute "let people know they're carrying a gun" ~with~ "hide their gun".
    You would look at that, as a CC'er, and think the person was nutty (to pun the original topic of this thread)

Additionally, OC is about many things, such as comfort, deterrence, political, etc, etc. Some more than others depending on the OC'er. But to say OC'ers in general simply have a mental issue with "showing their guns" is really not a fair assessment. Your trying to discredit the whole by using the example of a possible few.

It seems to me that people OC in areas with low crime rates like rural and suburban areas. I can't say I've seen or heard of people OCing in Homewood or the North Side and other high crime areas in the Pittsburgh region. Why not? My opinion is that people know better than to show their cards, especially in areas where you're a target instead of a citizen. In turn, I think people intentionally OC in low crime areas as a way to draw attention to themselves. A status symbol if you will.
    You were fine up to the part where you made the conclusion that it is a game.

Yes, a lot of OC happens in non-urban areas.
    1) That's where most gun carriers live in PA
    2) Some people do not OC everywhere for personal and tactical reasons. I would not OC in an environment where I could not keep a good situational awareness such as a crowd of people. Not because my OC is only for some agenda, as you accuse, but because it would not be a good choice vs.cc in that situation and in my opinion.

Conclusion:
    Again we have a post that attempts to associate OC with mental incompetence or childish agendas, etc. I find it odd that a number of folks can not acknowledge that people OC for reasons other than some character flaw.
    I don't always hide my gun because I find it unnecessary to do so and I fail to see what the big deal is about it.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast