Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lever or Bolt?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Lever or Bolt?

The Lever Evolution rounds have dropped the size of my ground from 2 - 3 inches at 100 yards to less then 1 out of my .30-30

Also the point of impact at 100 yards is easily 4 - 5 inches higher with eveolution rounds then with the normal rounds I was shooting.

I have heard there were issues with some of the lever guns that don't have scopes not being able to get the sights high enough to match the rounds... but overall I'd say they are a great buy.

that being said I'd still rather have a scope any day, it helps in identifying size of the rack and may also show something beyond the animal that you wouldn't have noticed otherwise (other hunters, houses way in the distance, rocks... etc)
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(York County)

Depends on the weather for me. If it is nice I will take the bolt action, rainy and the lever gets to go for a walk.

(York County)

I hate to just take one so sometimes i just take a different one everyday. But I would have to say my number one grab is a Levergun. I like to mix it up between the T/C in 270 or 308, Marlin 45-70 or 30-30, 7mm, 44mag pistol and 12ga sabots. Good luck to all. -BB
    The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil.
    -Ted Nugent

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Arch007er View Post
    I tried the evolution out of a borrowed 30-30 that im going to hunt with this year and the groups are twice as bad that regular rem. core lok. Just putting it out there.
    That is really too bad because I have had great success with them in the field and at the range. I use them in the 45-70, 30-30 and 44mag revolver and I just can not say enough about them. It does suck sometimes when the gun does not like what you want it to. -BB
    The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil.
    -Ted Nugent

(Monroe County)

Check out my thread in the ammo section with my damage pic's of Leveolution-vs-Win PP's. I found that my .35Rems were also 4-6" higher but thats what they said it would do. I just did not like the possable lack of kill power.

Anyway I pack a scoped Marlin 336 unless the weathers bad and then the
    .308 Isiapore Enfield comes out.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    Check out my thread in the ammo section with my damage pic's of Leveolution-vs-Win PP's. I found that my .35Rems were also 4-6" higher but thats what they said it would do. I just did not like the possable lack of kill power.
    A soda bottle test like that proves nothing to me exept that you can hit your mark. Poor test medium for "kill power" in my opinion. -BB
    -Ted Nugent

(Delaware County)

LEVERevolution ammo may be effected by the gun you use. The Marlin 336 XLR was designed around the LEVERevolution ammo, it has a longer barrel, 24". I have a Marlin 336XLR (30-30). I haven't used the LEVERevolution ammo, nor have I been hunting with the gun, but I did read a few things about the gun before I bought it. The XLR was designed for use with the LEVERevolution ammo.

Marlin engineers, working closely with Hornady ballisticians, have developed a line of lever action rifles—the XLR Series--built to take full advantage of the improvements gained with Hornady’s new LEVEREVOLUTION® ammunition.

Varying by caliber, the improvements achieved in velocity, energy and bullet performance in the LEVEREVOLUTION® spire-pointed, Flex-TipTM cartridges are truly significant.
    (http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/xlr/default.asp)

Again, this is just food for thought on the ammo, I have no personal experience with it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Many guns are certain ammo friendly (or not).

I'm taking my kids lever Marlin 336 this year for the first time. I'll have my friends 12 YO kiddo with me.

I like the scope option for verifying legal game. just me.

I sighted my Marlin 336 in on the Sat before deer season at Coraopolis Sportsman's club.

I loaded my bullets right out of the Speer manual (#10) using a 170 gr flat nosed Speer bullet with 37.5 gr of IMR4350 ( I use this for my 30.06 and didn't want to buy different powder) and just measured a 1" 3 shot group. Ilooked at it and thought 1 1/4" but measured it and it was closer.

Now that we no longer have image hosting, I'll have to learn how to post it out of Photobucket after i learn how to upload onto Photobucket .

Roscoe, you hunt with the Ishy? Heavy?

(Monroe County)

Gander-
    As for the soda bottle test, hey it's what I have on hand. I found that though not the best medium they showed similar results as published in mags using "good" methods.

27-
    Yep, I hunt with it. I had it out Monday in the rain. Then again I shoot NM AR at the Navy Matches and thats slightly heaver so it's ok. I also try to find a tree to rest it against.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Perry County)

I've used leverguns exclusively for deer hunting since i was old enough to hunt. I love them. They're quick to shoulder and aren't a burden when you're driving or just walking.

I also use LeverEvolution ammo for my .35 Rem 336C. I've had absolutely stellar performance from that round. I can put three 200 grain rounds inside an inch at 100. I could never do that with the Core-lokt SP's I used before. And as far as killing an animal, the doe I shot two years ago went about 20 yards before hitting the ground. It left a pretty good size wound and obliterated the heart. The polymer tip actually helps expansion. I have absoultely no reservation when it comes to killing power.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast