Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: Does LTCF only apply to handguns?

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    I already have that covered
    Just curious - where do you put your left hand when you shoot that thing???
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

(Montgomery County)

Left hand goes on the front grip, which is immediately in front of the grip with the trigger.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by acosenza2 View Post
    I know in PA it is legal to own handguns and rifles, as well as AR's and AK's that are not automatic weapons.
    This is not technically true. It's perfectly legal to own automatic weapons in PA, as well as suppressors, SBRs, SBSs, etc., as long as one adheres to the federal regulations regarding the ownership of said weapons. There's forms to fill out, fingerprinting, paying tax stamps, receiving approval from a Sheriff, federal judge, or local PD Chief, and isn't exactly trivial, but if the proper steps are taken it is indeed legal in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Zef_66 View Post
    The statues that lildobe posted are exactly correct. You can concealed carry anything that PA deems is a firearm. And according to their definition, that includes pistols, revolvers, short barreled rifles, and short barreled shotguns.
    My understanding of the OP's question is: what about weapons that are NOT defined to be a "firearm"? Do those weapons (a traditional long gun, like a standard shotgun or rifle) also require a LTCF, or can they be CC'd without a license? Or, is it outright illegal to CC them?

If there's someone else out there that knows better, please correct me if I'm wrong, but my opinion based on a quick perusal of the UFA is below:

Quote Originally Posted by acosenza2 View Post
    My question is this.....does my LTCF allow me to conceal carry a rifle such as an AK or AR?
    As always, let me say here that I'm not a lawyer, so take this advice FWIW.

Laws typically list what one can NOT do; so, it's assumed legal unless the law specifically states it's illegal. Given that a long gun is not described as a "firearm" per se in the parts of the law requiring a license to carry a "firearm" concealed, on the surface I would say it's legal.

It is, however, specifically stated that it's illegal to carry a loaded long gun in the car. So IF the above is true, you must be on foot the entire time the long gun is loaded.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by edstephan View Post
    But a AR or AK with a folding stock will come in well below the 26" OAL when folded.
    It is not considered an SBR or AOW as overall length is measured with stock extended.
    Am I correct?
    Ed
    I don't know about an AR, but my WASR-10 measures at 27 or 28 with the M-4 stock removed.

OAL is measured with the stock extended.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12