Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: Discharging a Firearm

Quote Originally Posted by brianinpa View Post
    When the borough tells you the answer, tell them you grew up in Missouri, so "Show Me."
    If I can ever get a hold of them....they just sent me a bill for $150 and I'm still waiting for them to call me back. It's operated part time.....I'm not paying them squat until they tell me what it's for....
    Please visit our site: http://www.hddefenseusa.com

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheKon View Post
    If I can ever get a hold of them....they just sent me a bill for $150 and I'm still waiting for them to call me back. It's operated part time.....I'm not paying them squat until they tell me what it's for....
    A bill for what?
    Brian - US Navy Retired - If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheKon View Post
    I never actually considered asking them to "prove it", that's a heck of a point. Does anyone know how to find out if you are on "Protected Hunting Land"? I understand you cannot discharge a firearm in those areas. Is that what the POSTED signs are? I don't hunt so I'm not up on the hunting rules.
    The posted signs may be private property markers.

I am trying to find the same info in my borough and township. I have not found a statute prohibiting target shooting from either.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by brianinpa View Post
    A bill for what?
    I'm guessing for trash and sewer...but the paperwork didn't indicate that....and they spelled my name wrong so I've got all kinds of problems with that.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    I am trying to find the same info in my borough and township. I have not found a statute prohibiting target shooting from either.
    Just about 90% of Pa townships have zoning online. Could fall under zoning or even under the nuisance ordinances. Some of the issue may be the ability to keep your projectiles on your property.

If you only call and ask the township about the legalities of something, you are likely to get an answer you will not like. I tried this by inquiring about archery hunting in my township and was given a very fast no. Once I tried to explain to the person I was speaking with that the ordinances only prohibited the discharge of firearms, they still insisted that it meant hunting overall. Once they had their answer in their head, there was no changing it, no matter how many times I explained it (some people just like to dig in and are unable to understand or receive new concepts.)

So, unconvinced by this persons answer, I emailed the Board of Supervisors and the Chief of Police with the ordinances in question as well as my interpretation of them. Two days later, I received a phone call from the chief himself stating that it was, in fact, legal to hunt archery in the township.

The point is, do your research first; look at any ordinance that might influence your issue and see if there is anything in there. Once you are convinced (or at least fairly certain) that what you want to do is legal, present that information to whoever you think might be able to give you the go ahead.

As far as a range goes, I don't think that a mound of dirt and a target box will be sufficient, but that is simply my opinion. Good luck and be safe!

(Monroe County)

I had the same question in our township. We have 3 houses close to ours and was wondering if there was a distance issue. I asked the Chief of Police and he said as long as there's a sufficient backstop I can shoot to my hearts content.

(Montgomery County)

This question comes up often.Take a look around your house. Do you want any of your neighbors firing weapons in their backyard?

(Lebanon County)

Do you live in Camp Hill Borough? Here is the section that deals with weapons discharge. Now, if you aren't directly living in Camp Hill Borough, this may not apply.
    Brian - US Navy Retired - If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverPA View Post
    This question comes up often.Take a look around your house. Do you want any of your neighbors firing weapons in their backyard?
    The way the hills are setup I would personally have no objection.
    And Brian I now live in Lewisberry Borough. The way my yard is setup it looks like mother nature actually made me a perfect backstop.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast