Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Montgomery Co - Lower Merion LTCF Process

Faster than Delco was or Philly is. But this is a huge issue if they are double dipping on the $25 fee.

And they shouldn't need references.

(Montgomery County)

Two years ago my Upper Merion Police check cost nothing. Start to finish, license took four days.

(Montgomery County)

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but this is what shows up when I Google. I just went today to police department and they told me that I have to pay the fee even though I told him that they're not allowed to charge and they said too bad. I did call the solicitor and left a voice mail but I don't think anything will happen but I am thinking of doing is filing a small claims suit just to get the $25 back and hopefully if enough people do that in the lower Merion Police Department will stop Charging.

Quote Originally Posted by sir Joseph View Post
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but this is what shows up when I Google. I just went today to police department and they told me that I have to pay the fee even though I told him that they're not allowed to charge and they said too bad. I did call the solicitor and left a voice mail but I don't think anything will happen but I am thinking of doing is filing a small claims suit just to get the $25 back and hopefully if enough people do that in the lower Merion Police Department will stop Charging.
    It is my understanding - from reading here & elsewhere but not by experience - that if you drop the LTCF application off in Norristown without the local police check form you'll still get your license, but it'll take upwards of the full 45 (?) day legal time the county has to issue or deny it. If you're not in a rush this might be a viable route.
    Last edited by Jorg Schlagzeuger; February 20th, 2014 at 05:54 PM. Reason: added omitted word

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jorg Schlagzeuger View Post
    It is my understanding - from reading here & elsewhere but not by experience - that if you drop the LTCF application off in Norristown without the local police check form you'll still get your license, but it'll take upwards of the full 45 (?) day legal time the county has to issue or deny it. If you're not in a rush this might be a viable route.
    Yes this is what I've heard most. If you go in with the local check paperwork, Montco will most likely issue on the spot. If you don't, they will most likely take the maximum time allowed by law.

(Luzerne County)

they will most likely take the maximum time allowed by law.
    Just wondering. 45 Calendar days or 45 business days?

(Delaware County)

MONTCO used to require the (new) applicant get the police card filled out. Now they leave it up to the applicant but basically say if you don't do it you will wait the full amount of time allowed by law.

As for what is 45 days, business or consecutive, each county seems to have a different opinion.

http://www.montcopa.org/DocumentCenter/View/732

3. The Local Police Check card is part of our investigation. We suggest that you fill this out and have it completed by your local police department to save time (they will either call you to pick it up or mail it to us.) Alternatively, you may drop it off to our office with your application; however, you may have to wait up to 45 days before you can return for your permit. Note: this applies to new applicants only. The Local Police check card is only valid for 60 days from date of signature by Police Department.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jorg Schlagzeuger View Post
    It isn't a punitive thing from the county (it is from Lower Merion).
    It is just that the sherif will have to do the investigation, same as in Chester, Delaware, Allegheny and any number of other counties. If you can get the card check for free and without a long delay (clearly some towns are using fees as a way to oppress the citizenry) then you can get your LTCF a bit faster.

Lord only knows what will happen when the new sherif is sworn in.

(Montgomery County)

Fuck the card, just wait the time... or at least that's what I did.

People that think it's "faster" this way are lying to themselves. When I lived in the Reading area, my LTCF was issued on the spot, just by running PICS and making sure my form was filled out correctly, and of course the $25.

No way in hell will I ever go beg my local PD to exercise my rights, or give them an extra $25 in tribute. It's bad enough we have to go to Norristown at all.

(Lehigh County)

When my g/f went to Lower Merion for her Police check card, they didn't charge her, but they took FOREVER. I'm talking like, 6 weeks until she finally got an answer. The person behind the counter also advised her quote "not to carry openly" whatever that means.

Luckily I moved out of Montgomery and live in Bucks county now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast