Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: 6.8mm Rem. SPC. Do you believe the hype?

6.8 might have the slight edge at distance. within 100M, it's pretty much a wash.

(Westmoreland County)

Hell yeah. Bigger bullet, more powder more distance and you can use a standard AR lower. Now if someone can figure out how to make it make major.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by hzox221 View Post
    Hell yeah. Bigger bullet, more powder more distance and you can use a standard AR lower. Now if someone can figure out how to make it make major.
    Sure...you make it a 6.5 Grendel.

Lycanproblemsolvedthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Delaware County)

I've got an AR-10 and an FAL PARA. I've been trying to justify buying a 6.8mm upper, and I really can't. I'd rather grab one of the 7.62 rifles, or one of the AR-15s, depending on the situation.

If I already had an AR-15 lower registered as an SBR or machine gun, it might be a tougher decision. Right now, if I were going to go the SBR route, I'd probably buy one of the modular AR lowers when they get the 9mm, .45ACP, and 7.62mm magwells into production.

Looking at 6.5 Grendel stats, it looks like it has a little more going for it than 6.8mm.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Lycoming County)

I always thought the 6x45 or 6.5x45 would be the way to go. 6.8? Jack O'Conner would be proud. I like the 6mm and 6.5 TCU alot. To be honest the 7.62x39 Colt I have loves the 168MK and is a tack driver and slams pepper poppers at 200M also, Mike.
    The liberals won't be happy until they control you.

(Schuylkill County)

My take was that they wanted a heavier bullet for windshield and cover penetration. I read lots of stories that 5.56 was not a car stopper... while .50BMG was a car blower-upper.

I don't think that 6.5 or 6.8 is about distance, or 'lethality'.. but simply the need to get to the bad guy when real world items (walls, bricks, windshields) are in the way.

(Berks County)

I don't buy this whole 6.8 SPC hype. The round while it will work in the AR-15, will require a new barrel, bolt, and magazine. Same thing with the 6.5 Grendel. I Have shot both calibers, and like both calibers, but I personally think the 6.8 is on its way out. The 6.5 MPC I have read about seems to have promise, and the only thing that will need to be done is a re barrel, nothing more. Since it comes from the 5.56 case and there is no need for a newer mag, bolt, or belt system for the M249.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you have, is also big enough to take it all away.
    Gerald Ford.

Happiness is 5,000 rounds of match ammo.

Very old thread but, every major AR manufacturer except Colt is now making a 6.8.
    Don't think I have ever seen a 6.5mpc advertised anywhere.
    A handloaded 85gr Barnes will hit 3200fps from a 6.8 with a 16" barrel in the correct configuration. A 110gr Nosler will hit 2800-2850fps.
    www.68forums.com

(Allegheny County)

I have seen a lot (relatively) of 6.8 advertised but very few 6.5 Grendel. Anyone have an idea why?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    I have seen a lot (relatively) of 6.8 advertised but very few 6.5 Grendel. Anyone have an idea why?
    Alexander Arms makes the Grendel and the Beowulf. Demand is so high that a new order with them might take 6 months for delivery. If they cannot keep up with the "word of mouth" advertisements now, I can't imagine them advertising for any more sales.
    Just my thought.....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast