Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Need some help from a LEO

I like that concept, Hawk. That is probably one of the best ideas that I've heard to date. The only other thing that I would suggest is a note in the copy you send to the police letting them know that you've also sent a copy to the press. I'd bet you could see some action in a hurry if the police know that you've gotten the press involved alread.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Northumberland County)

If he has a PO, talk to his PO. Even if he PO sees him driving, or gets him to admit he has been driving, he can be arrested for violation of his supervision. (no corpus delecti for persons on probation/parole... no rights have to be read to them by their PO, anything they say still can be used against them for violation of their supervision, but not for a new charge.) As far as the police, even if his PO sees him driving, the PO can file a report with the PD, who can them charge him with DUS/DUI. It will hold up in court, its already been challenged and upheld. My dept. does it all the time, the cops love it because they dont have to witness anything, just file the citation.
    ALSO, its a fairly serious offense even though its a Summary offense. Mandatory 60-90 days incarceration under the current law. If he gets enough, PA DOT considers him a "habitual offender" and he can be charged with a misdemeanor.

(Bucks County)

if he's had 3 DUI's and still driving under that suspension, he should be permanently revoked from driving and jailed for a VERY long time.

he's obviously a threat to society, and if he was living near me and I had kids or something I'd feel even stronger about it - heck if I knew him personally and that info, I'd probably end up bumping him "accidentally" just to create an accident report and put that ball into motion. doubt my insurance would even give a damn to pay anything if he wasn't legally allowed to use his vehicle.

aaaanways, after writing that, I just realized I should say - I'm in NO way advocating doing that, I just meant if it was my neighbor, and I had kids... he's a threat to me and them. actually, I'd just go to the courthouse or PD, talk to a detective or something, file a report, maybe something would get somewhere.

Steve did say "Unless I personally know a person does not have a valid license", so in theory the fact that I've informed an officer or detective, they are made aware of it, and can look up his status for confirmation.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by markheck1 View Post
    But you can "Pull Someone Over" for walking down the street with a gun on their hip? There's no violation there either? Sorry..small rant tangent!

Anyway....I see on the Cops shows all the time that they say police received a tip that drugs were being sold in this house, and they send the SWAT team in....how can they do that?

And....if someone tips the police that so-and-so is driving on a suspended license, can they not check the status of said license, and be on the lookout for said person? That is a tip of a crime being committed....no different than say being a witness to a robbery, he is a witness to this crime being committed. What's the difference?
    Just because you "saw something on tv" doesn't mean thats exactly how it happened. You would have to build a case in order to send in the high speed, low drag guys. Under cover buys, surveilance, etc.

We get lots of calls that so-so is driving without a license, his vehicle doesn't have insurance, etc...........you can't camp out in front of his house waiting for him to drive. We have one guy in my town who doesn't care about driving on a suspended license. Last time I checked his license is suspened until the year 2030 if not longer. He's probably driving right now.

Responding to a possible crime in progress is a lot different than stopping someone in a vehicle. Again, an officer needs "reasonable suspicion" to stop a driver, be it for DUI, motor vehicle violation or equipment violation.

And, how does the person who's calling about his friend "Bob" really know that his friends license is suspended? Since when did the friend get to see a copy of his certified driving record showing the suspension.

(Chester County)

The person informed me that his drivers license is suspended and has not been reinstated yet. He also does not have insurance because after 3 DUI offenses and jail time related to that means that he is a "high risk".

I still don't see how this is different than if a sheeple reported an illegal gun or something like that...... DUIs kill a lot of people every year.

(Luzerne County)

If you report your neighbor has an "illegal" gun in his house, that doesn't mean the police can just walk in looking for it.

If you report your friend to the local police, I'm sure they are familiar with him for all of his DUI's and they can keep an eye out for him. If they are familiar with him, then they'll know his license is suspended. But until they see him driving there is nothing they can do about it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Just because you "saw something on tv" doesn't mean thats exactly how it happened. You would have to build a case in order to send in the high speed, low drag guys. Under cover buys, surveilance, etc.

We get lots of calls that so-so is driving without a license, his vehicle doesn't have insurance, etc...........you can't camp out in front of his house waiting for him to drive. We have one guy in my town who doesn't care about driving on a suspended license. Last time I checked his license is suspened until the year 2030 if not longer. He's probably driving right now.

Responding to a possible crime in progress is a lot different than stopping someone in a vehicle. Again, an officer needs "reasonable suspicion" to stop a driver, be it for DUI, motor vehicle violation or equipment violation.

And, how does the person who's calling about his friend "Bob" really know that his friends license is suspended? Since when did the friend get to see a copy of his certified driving record showing the suspension.

I have a question. If a guy’s license is expired until 2030, can he get insurance? If he can't get insurance then he has to turn in his plate, if he has to turn in his plate, then he should stand out like a sore thumb when on the road. If he didn't do the above, what’s the penalty? I think, the vehicle should be confiscated if someone on suspension the 3rd time for DUI is caught driving regardless who owns the car (unless reported stolen).

Hawk
    Toujours prêt

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclesam099 View Post
    Preferrably one that can answer some items about my rights when reporting a friend that has been driving w/o a drivers' license. It is for his own good, but I need to remain anonymous. Please PM or email me. Thank you.
    Try posting on www.snitches.com or www.stoolpigeon.com. You will definitely get some help there.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I have a question. If a guy’s license is expired until 2030, can he get insurance? If he can't get insurance then he has to turn in his plate, if he has to turn in his plate, then he should stand out like a sore thumb when on the road. If he didn't do the above, what’s the penalty? I think, the vehicle should be confiscated if someone on suspension the 3rd time for DUI is caught driving regardless who owns the car (unless reported stolen).

Hawk
    I don't recall if he had insurance or not. He swaps tags, had them registered in his very elderly mother's name, etc. He knows the game. He gets caught, goes to jail for a while, then is back out doing it all over again.

Actually, he's currently wanted by the Sheriff's Dept for failing to appear on charges he stole electricity from PP&L. Seems they shut his power off for not paying his bill. Well, he climbed the pole and night and did a little fiddling around. Got his power back on, but the officer who interviewed neighbors told him the man's hair was "smoking a little" when he came down from the pole!

(Chester County)

Rob, you obviously have not had a friend killed by a drunk driver before if you believe that this is a joke. People that kill other people, "accidentally" because of drinking and driving or intentionally, are criminals. This person has obviously not learned a lesson from a suspension and needs to learn properly that he is not above the law.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast