Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Remington 700 SPS AAC thoughts

I've got an AAC I use as my mountain hunting rifle. Right now its in a BCS 1000 stock, badger 20moa rail, and no scope. I have put one of my other scopes on it just to shoot though. Its submoa with handloads so far, usually around .50 moa 5 round groups. The vortex viper pst will prolly end up on it at some point.

That said, if you have the cash and skill to see where your money went, buy a GAP. Best move I ever made, and it spoiled me totally. The 178 amax is a great bullet, I suggest you start looking at reloading equipment if your going to learn distance shooting.

That said, if you have the cash and skill to see where your money went, buy a GAP. Best move I ever made, and it spoiled me totally. The 178 amax is a great bullet, I suggest you start looking at reloading equipment if your going to learn distance shooting.
    The most sound advice I've seen given on here in a long time. GA Precision rifles are top shelf.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Thanks AM. GAP is a fantastic outfit.

OP, the AAC is a great bet if your getting into LR shooting. It will more than likely outshoot you, and when you burn the barrel out, send it into GAP and have them rebuild it into exactly what you want. Starting with decent to good equipment and learning shooting techniques is more important than starting with top shelf rifles and glass.

Starting with a good rifle and decent glass will allow you to save some cash and reinvest it into another very important area: Match ammo or reloading gear. Both of witch your going to need. I can't tell you the number of times someone will deck out a remmy 5R with an AICS stock and a MK4, and I'll watch them blast awaay with ball ammunition. Its frustrating for me to watch, and for them too. Their 3,000 dollar investment will shoot 2 inch groups! Its a waste.

Anyway, here's my rifle, a rebuilt winchester stealth action:

It can do better ( I can't!) but heres a group at 340 yards:

I pulled (shivering) the lowest left round. Pay no mind to the 5 rounds to the right of the orange circle, that was me "settling in" with the wind. It's 23 degrees here and we were outside shooting for 3 hours. Nothing a brew and a cheese burger couldn't fix though!

Here's another target.
    The bottom group was fired with my first handloads ever. The wording at the bottom of the target was my POA, and the 5 round group to the slight left and slightly above was my POI. Distance was 300 yards.

And of course, banging steel at 300 with my SGL20
    Last edited by USAFSP; January 8th, 2011 at 03:25 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Remington 700 SPS AAC thoughts

Very sharp rifle. I really like how you used a Winchester action. That's awesome. I've always heard that they are great to build off of. I thought about putting a little effort into my FN Patrol Bolt, being that it has the pre-'64 extractor, it's a pretty good setup. It has been put on the back burner for my Badger build and my little Remington 700sps trainer in .223. That and it shoots very well as is right now, I won't mess with it until it needs a new barrel. Good work, a prime example of a great build.

Thanks! I really like the winchester stealth and pre-64 action. The stealth is a bit unique, it uses the hybrid controlled round push feed action, so it allows me to single feed, and still get that very positive extraction/ejection that I want.

Is yours a FN PBR or SPR? OP, take a look at both of those too! You should throw a Manners or Mcmillan on your FN bolt gun, very well worth it.

OP, I'll snap some photos of my AAC in a little bit for you.

As if right now for the FN, it is a PBR. I don't plan on swapping the stock right now, I am pretty happy with the Hogue stock. It's the one with the full length aluminum bedding block and it's pretty solid, it keeps the weight down as well so taking it hunting isn't hassle.

My Badger action is getting a KMW Sentinel, I have been waiting for quite a while for it, but I've been deployed back and forth over the past 3 years anyhow so I haven't been home much. It's supposed to be the best thing in the rifle stock world since sliced bread in the regular world, hopefully I'll find out sooner then later.

Nothing a brew and a cheese burger couldn't fix though!
    It's just after 8am here and man, what I'd do for that right now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12