Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Shooting a snake

Snakes in Pennsylvania
    Collecting or killing snakes

All snakes in Pennsylvania are protected by Fish and Boat Commission regulations. Species that are not listed as Endangered, Threatened, or Candidate may be captured or possessed under specific daily and possession limits (Consult the Summary of Fishing Regulations and Laws [http://www.fishandboat.com/fishpub/summary/repamp.html]). Endangered or Threatened species such as Kirtland’s snake, eastern massasauga and rough green snake cannot be caught, killed, possessed, imported to, or exported from Pennsylvania. The timber rattlesnake is protected under additional regulations and permits regarding seasons and possession limits. Specific questions about current regulations can be directed to any of the Commission’s Regional Law Enforcement Offices or the Herpetology and Endangered Species Coordinator.

According to the PAFBC, it is unlawful to kill a reptile or amphibian with a firearm. Anyone remember when hunting frogs with .22 shot shells was legal?

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by JCWohlschlag View Post
    Snakes in Pennsylvania
    Collecting or killing snakes

All snakes in Pennsylvania are protected by Fish and Boat Commission regulations. Species that are not listed as Endangered, Threatened, or Candidate may be captured or possessed under specific daily and possession limits (Consult the Summary of Fishing Regulations and Laws [http://www.fishandboat.com/fishpub/summary/repamp.html]). Endangered or Threatened species such as Kirtland’s snake, eastern massasauga and rough green snake cannot be caught, killed, possessed, imported to, or exported from Pennsylvania. The timber rattlesnake is protected under additional regulations and permits regarding seasons and possession limits. Specific questions about current regulations can be directed to any of the Commission’s Regional Law Enforcement Offices or the Herpetology and Endangered Species Coordinator.
    Good to know thanks, rep on the way....We haven't ID the snake yet, but you can't kill it even if its trying to attack you? The reason I'm asking is because I told my ma and the next door neighbors because they have "bubble" children that allergic to anything and everything, they dropped off an eppy needle in case we see one outside unconscious outside and I know if a snake comes near my ma shes either gonna stomp on it or empty a mag of .380 in it lol

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by mickey01023 View Post
    Good to know thanks, rep on the way....We haven't ID the snake yet, but you can't kill it even if its trying to attack you? The reason I'm asking is because I told my ma and the next door neighbors because they have "bubble" children that allergic to anything and everything, they dropped off an eppy needle in case we see one outside unconscious outside and I know if a snake comes near my ma shes either gonna stomp on it or empty a mag of .380 in it lol
    From the description that you gave in a prior post, that snake was as harmful as a rubber one from Toys 'r Us. Most likely a Black Snake or Rat Snake. Maybe at most you might have needed a tetanus shot and anti-biotic ointment.

Take some time to study snakes so that you can ID them. Even the poisonous ones dont deserve to die just because one was present.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    According to the PAFBC, it is unlawful to kill a reptile or amphibian with a firearm.
    Indeed.
    58 Pa. Code § 79.2

• Title 58 Pa. Code. Recreation
      • Part II. Fish and Boat Commission
        • Subpart B. Fishing
          • Chapter 79. Reptiles and Amphibians
            • § 79.2. Taking reptiles or amphibians.

(a) General.
    (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, reptiles and amphibians may only be taken by hand, hook and line, snake hooks or tongs, turtle hooks, traps and nets less than 4 feet square or 4 feet in diameter.
    (2) It is unlawful to take, catch or kill a reptile or amphibian through use of a firearm.
    (3) It is unlawful to take, catch or kill a reptile or amphibian through the use of chemicals, smoke, explosives, winches, jacks or other devices or materials or manually in a manner that may disrupt, damage or destroy dens or the immediate surroundings thereof. While hunting reptiles and amphibians, it is unlawful to possess chemicals, explosives, winches, jacks or other devices or materials that may disrupt, damage or destroy dens and their immediate surroundings. It is unlawful to alter or destroy habitat in the pursuit of a reptile or amphibian.
    (4) It is unlawful to damage or disrupt the nest or eggs of a reptile or to gather, take or possess the eggs of any reptile.
    (b) Turtles.
    (1) It is unlawful to take, catch or kill a turtle by means of a hook other than a turtle hook as defined in § 79.1 (relating to definitions).
    (2) It is unlawful for a person to leave a set line, turtle trap or other device for catching turtles unattended unless the device has attached a tag or other means of identification containing the name, address and telephone number of the owner or user of the device. Traps, nets or devices used for catching turtles must be of a floating or partially submerged design so as to allow for the release of untargeted turtles unharmed.
    (c) Frogs.
    (1) Frogs may be taken with long bows and arrow, including compound bows, crossbows, spears or gigs. Spears or gigs may not be mechanically propelled, may not have more than five barbed points and may not be used in approved trout waters.
    (2) It is unlawful to take, catch or kill a frog by use of artificial light at night.

We haven't ID the snake yet, but you can't kill it even if its trying to attack you?
    That depends on whether you were reasonably in fear for your life or serious injury, I guess.

(Chester County)

He was black and skinny around foot n half 2 feet with a line of brown down the middle on his back...i don't know what sunning means, it wasn't sunny out if that helps......pshh pest control my ass there squirrels, mice, skunks, if the flood lights go on it looks like a swarm of nats and flys the size of a cloud surround the area lol forget shooting him for trying to taste me he should be shot for doing a poor job lol

there wasn't any sticks or anything
    Sounds like it might have been a Garter snake. http://www.paherps.com/herps/snakes/garter_snake

If it was, I'd have probably picked it up and showed it to my kids.

Here's a good site for info about PA snakes. http://www.paherps.com/herps/snakes
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    Sounds like it might have been a Garter snake. [If it was, I'd have probably picked it up and showed it to my kids.
    ]
    I did that for my kids about 3 weeks ago (before the rain started and cold blooded animals could warm themselves in the sun)

Damn thing crapped all over my hands! Whooooooeeeeee snake poop is MUSKY! The girls weren't afraid of the snake but the smell sure chased 'em away!

Then I went and finished making dinner.

Anyone want to come over for dinner sometime?
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Philadelphia County)

because the fucking thing was coming to bite me thats why
    MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA omg... waaaayyy too funny.
    Audentes Fortuna Iuvat

(Berks County)

Talking Re: Shooting a snake

I personally would not shoot a snake its complete overkill. Try your heel or a rock. I know someone who killed a rattlesnake but it almost bit him first. By the way you are being called a wimp because you were scared of the snake. Guess that makes me one too.

I found a Northern Ridgeback in my basement a few years back.

Cool bug eating snake about the size of a large nightcrawler.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast