Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Finally ready to buy a revolver

In the revolver class I would also recommend the Ruger SP101, in my personal experience the Ruger SP101 in 38 special which also can easily handle the 38+P loads, is more manageabble than the .357 Mag version in the 2 1/4" barrel size.
    CZ75 P-01 & Colt AR-15 6920

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Well, I'm a bit prejudiced (I like and collect Rugers) and I really like the SP101 with the 2 1/4 bbl. SS so it's easy to maintain. SA/DA. You can go with a .357 mag or a .38+P. A set of Hogues makes it very comfortable to shoot. As rugged a gun as you can get.
    Another vote here for the SP101... there is one next to me right now, it is an absolutely wonderful gun & it's big brother the GP100 is a fun range gun but a little bulky for carry.
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by das View Post
    Keep looking at Budsgunshop.com and gunbroker.com You can get some very good deals at gun broker especialy if you find one with no reserve that no one is bidding on. Buds has a special snubby section and very good prices.
    Very true. last week I got a real nice 2 3/4 bbl Ruger Security Six for a real good price from Gunbroker. It's an older model but in excellent condition and I've been looking for one to add to my collection. Now I'll have all three, the Security Six, Police Service Six and the Speed Six, all with the short barrels.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Westmoreland County)

I'm in the SP101 crowd... great all-around choice.

(Montgomery County)

Can ya stand another SP101 lover? Great little gun.

Also picked up a Taurus 85 which is a bit smaller for CC. Impressive accuracy for the money.

Now I'm looking for a Taurus 941 just for fun. Can't decide between stainless and blue though ...

Decisions, decisions.

Ham radio: when all else fails.

(Warren County)

I've got 2 Ruger Blackhawks that are a joy to shoot, even my wife likes shooting them. And shooting a single action revolver is a blast to boot...... I'd vote Ruger!
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by 87th PVI View Post
    Another vote here for the SP101... there is one next to me right now, it is an absolutely wonderful gun & it's big brother the GP100 is a fun range gun but a little bulky for carry.
    I on the other hand didn't care for the sp101. i did like the big brother tho. computersteve and wildpony both have a smith and wesson that is awesome. im not sure what model it is...

but its the only one on this table...

You can't go wrong with a Ruger or S&W. I picked up the LCR a few months ago & I have been pleased so far. I have watched them sale on Gunbroker for as low as $365. I paid 400 for mine (new).

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    $300 will just about pay for a brand new Taurus 85. The stainless steel version weighs 21 ounces, which will be a little more pleasant with +Ps than the ultralight, and with target loads or wadcutters should be quite nice.

My wife's 85 ultralight was a very good gun, quite accurate and trouble free. I liked it enough that I'm strongly considering putting one on layaway tomorrow.

The SP101 is a superb gun, one of my favorites, but it's pretty heavy for pocket carry. It is quite pleasant to shoot, though, with +Ps, and some .357 loads. I didn't care a bit for full power 125 grain loads, but I don't like those from 4" guns either. You'd have to get a used one, though, and have to look pretty hard for even a used one at $300.
    And on this note, I put my money where my mouth is, and put a Model 85 Ultralight on layaway today. Hopefully I'll be able to get it out in four weeks, on my birthday, since my wife has made this my birthday present.

Opted for the blued version. I like the looks better and the lack of shinyness. I've never had a problem with my guns rusting even when rained on held up next to my body when I'm all sweaty. Wiping them down every night and cleaning and oiling them every week probably helps.

Chose the ultralight because it better fit with the reasons I wanted a snubby to begin with. Shooting Cathy's showed it's a fine gun to shoot with standard pressure ammo, and plenty controllable with defensive +Ps. While not my definition of "fun," +Ps aren't so unpleasant that I won't practice with them.

$339 for a brand spanking new gun isn't half bad
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Susquehanna County)

I suggest you search the used market for a S&W K-frame 2 1/2" or 3" barreled .357 Magnum.

You'll have 6 rounds instead of 5, and a frame large enough to be comfortable for shooting as a range gun, though you might want to use .38 Special for practice to save a bit of money. On the down side, it won't pocket so well because of it's overall size.

You might also be well served to stick with 158 grain magnum loads when it's carry time.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast