Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: coyotes

(Franklin County)

Default Re: coyotes

For $300 bucks or so you can get a beautiful 5mm rimfire mag. If your looking at rimfire, without a question that would be my choise. Its slightly slower than a 17hmr, faster than a 22mag with current loadings(which are under max psi by a good bit iirc) and brings alot more fpe to the table than either caliber.
    Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    Shoot what you like, like what you shoot.Own what you like, like what you own.

(Centre County)

A couple years ago I used to go out all the time and didn't have much luck so then I just quit going. I'm starting to get back into it now and last weekend I spent $50 and got a couple things from radio shack and built an e caller that I can play coyote sounds I have on my old phone.

Before I used a mouth call which always got howls but never got anything to come into view. After that I got a rabbit in distress tape and used a regular radio but it really wasn't that loud. This cheap e caller I made goes loud enough to make my ears bleed. As for guns I have a 12 gauge, 17 hmr and a 30-06 so, depending on where I'm going will depend on what I take.

(Berks County)

The guy im going with has an electric caller so im good there. Just need to check my rifle and set up a time and day.

(Chester County)

I know a lot of people have been using turkey guns up in NY they have even come out with coyote specific shells for them. I've also been thinking of getting into yote hunting and I think that this might be an option for thick forest. I've also been contemplating getting a rifle in .223 since it has probably the most ammo options.
    WHEN DEMOCRACY TURNS TO TYRANNY, THE ARMED CITIZEN STILL GETS TO VOTE

(Bucks County)

most of the guys i know that hunt coys and foxes use a 223 or 22-250. i use either a 308 or my 300 mag.

i dont care about pelt damage, just stopping them from taking deer and turkeys on my uncles property. theres alot of smaller brush areas and a couple open fields, where i can shoot out to 400 yards, so i mostly use my 300 mag with 220 smks, let me tell you, it turns them inside out. the 3 ive hit with it have dropped like a brick

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

AHHH hunting foxes with .223 or 22-250, esp grey fox, and please don't go fox hunting with hevy- shot meant for coyotes! It was a PIA for me to sew this red fox up for a mount for a guy who was yote hunting, has his furtaker lisc, and had a fox come in instead. He had never taken a fox, so it was his first. Keep in mind that the nicer red foxes were selling for 50.00 a dried pelt ( put up properly) last season.You don't want big holes or bunches of holes and mess.

I know of a coyote shot with a .22 mag and it only went right down due to the guy being lucky and hitting the spine. He did have something crazy happen last season when he was seeing if he could call another yote in. Instead a black feral cat started coming in, then this big brown blur and a fight. He saw a bobcat jump out and grab the cat and kill it, then run off with it. This was just a little south of central southern York county, in MD.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Adams County)

I like 22-250, .223, and I've used my 12 gauge with #4 Buck. How tight these Eastern Coyotes stick to the brush, that 12 gauge works just fine.

(Lebanon County)

I hunt private land in robesonia its attatched to game lands. This past deer season every morning before dark I herd them going off. Never hunted them before. First yr trying it. I can see them laying up on the hill from my tree stand where the sheep are. They watch them. Have not took one down yet. But I can feel its going to happen. Good luck hunting.

(Dauphin County)

Got this guy with the 17HMR. It was a head shot probably 40 yards max. Between the eye and ear. I feel I got lucky. I was actually trying to call in fox. The 17 HMR is perfect for fox but I have a nice big yote on my trail camera that I am after and I don't think the 17 HMR is enough gun. .223 seems like it would do the trick and any of the .22 centerfires that have already been mentioned. Also have you seen the 17 Hornet?? This looks like it would be awesome...I just dont feel like buying another gun right now.

Good luck!!!!! Get them fawn killers.

(Dauphin County)

Hope this attached??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast