Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: HSM 454 Casull "Bear Load" ***Be Warned***

Ok, armchair ninjas win here. You guys are absoutely correct, there is no problem with the ammo and I would highly recommend it.

Way to be a douche nozzle. Good luck with the ammo - hope you have better luck than I have.

Screw me for trying to share my expierence for the benefit of others. Put you aluminum foil caps back on and look for the next well intentioned post to flame and make your tiny peepee feel better.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PaJeepn View Post
    Hey guys,

I pulled 2 bullets from the case and found a 2 grain variation between just those two samples - just further proving how terrible this ammo is.

I ran 5 through my seat/crimp die and I was able to get all 5 out, but still had some movement. Will adjust and try again.

For what it's worth, at $1.20/round I dont want to have to screw with the ammo to make it work, especially when it is marketed as self defense rounds.
    Oh yeah I agree you shouldn’t have to screw around with any factory bought ammunition, especially defense rounds. How much is the charge weight? Helps understand the 2 grain variation better. Does bullet have a crimp groove? Sometimes over crimping buckles the case, loosening the grip, can also happen when there is no groove to crimp into. G.I. 45 used a tar to seal and grip the bullet along with the crimp. Lee factory crimp die is a superior way to crimp. I don’t know if the make it to fit 454. Thanks for posting the heads up though, the ammunition price on all the magnum stuff is too much to put up with crap like this.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PaJeepn View Post
    Ok, armchair ninjas win here. You guys are absoutely correct, there is no problem with the ammo and I would highly recommend it.

Way to be a douche nozzle. Good luck with the ammo - hope you have better luck than I have.

Screw me for trying to share my expierence for the benefit of others. Put you aluminum foil caps back on and look for the next well intentioned post to flame and make your tiny peepee feel better.
    Tiny peepee feel better. LOL made me laugh like bevas and butthead.

Why are people so triggered? Short fuses. Is it the raging culture war? Cult of victim hood? Too many trophies?
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Bucks County)

Short fuses

Uh, I don't think that's where his/her mind went.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Blair County)

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...ow-point-20box
    I know some people only want lead.....but These are what i keep in my Alaskan. 260gr at 1800fps. Should kill anything on the continent. They are hollows, but also bonded.
    Recoil is manageable and they are accurate Thru a 2" barrel.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by red87yj View Post
    Hey all!

I apologize if this is in the wrong place, but I would like to warn others before they make the same mistake I did.

I bought 2 boxes of HSM 454 Casull 325gr Bear Load from Cabelas about 1 month ago. Sunday, I go to fire the first cylinder and get 2-3 rounds in before the gun locks up. This is not my first time shooting the revolver - a 6.5" Ruger Super BlackHawk. I noted that the rounds provided slightly less recoil than the handloads that were shot directly after this incident. After only a couple rounds, the remaining rounds (all of them!) in the firearm had jumped the cannelure so far that the rounds protruded past the end of the cylinder and were hitting the forcing cone. I had to pull the base pin with live rounds in the cylinder to clear the problem. Needless to say, not an ideal situation!

While this is not an unknown occurrence in light weight firearms, I would not consider this to be a light weight firearm! My hand loads (30.0 gr H110 over a 300 gr bullet - please do not replicate load and if you do, you are responsible for your own actions!) have never resulted in this situation and my crimp only slightly deforms the ridges in the cannelure.

Please beware if you should purchase this ammo and hope to actually use it as bear protection, you will be sorely mistaken! After spending about $120 on two boxes of ammo, I believe my only recourse will be to pull the bullets and add the cases to my collection since you are not able to return ammo at Cabelas. I have reached out to the manufacturer with no response and at this point, I do not expect one.

Best of luck all!
    Apparently you aren't the only one experiencing the bad crimp making the gun jam up on that ammo.

https://rugerforum.net/ammo-dump/104...ear-loads.html

real bummerSubmitted 4 years ago
    By Ben
    From Montana

Verified BuyerI bought these for bear protection while I'm out in the woods here in Montana.Well I shot 5 out of 6 in my ruger super red hawk toklat. Number six wouldn't chamber because it had jumped crimp. Won't be buying again. I need to know that if I need them to fire all are going to fire.
    Bottom Line No, I would not recommend to a friend
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...eck-box-of-50#

I would contact the manufacturer and tell them of the problem and ask for them to remedy this.

https://hsmammunition.com/bear-load/
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Montgomery County)

Sadly, I have contacted HSM and have still not heard anything back. I doubt I will at this point!

I have the ability to make the ammo work(ish), but my goal in creating this thread was to warn others about the quality of the ammo. Once I pulled the bullets and measured the weight of each, that just further verified the poor quality of the ammo. I can weigh most any other bullet I buy for reloading and have the variation less than 1/10th of what I found with these.

Quote Originally Posted by red87yj View Post

I have the ability to make the ammo work(ish), but my goal in creating this thread was to warn others about the quality of the ammo.
    The majority of my .500 magnum ammo is HSM. I have had exactly ZERO problems with the ammo. Hopefully you just got a few bad rounds. The stuff isnt cheap and should be perfect. Keep trying to contact HSM, so they can make it right. If they dont, keep spreading the word on the quality control issues on every forum you can. Sooner or later someone will get the message.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12