Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Clinton County)

Default Re: Range time with the Bushmaster ACR and disassembly(videos and range report)

Quote Originally Posted by rockkrawler628 View Post
    Gixxer, Hey I just bought an ACR and currently awaiting arrival from the distributor... you mentioned the shell casings are ejecting @ 5.00 and hit your buddy in the face. (hes lefty) Well, I AM LEFTY! I'm hoping the shell deflector is indeed adjustable, so if you would be kind enough to affirm this I would appreciate it very much!
    Thanks!
    The direction that the shells were ejecting may vary greatly from gun to gun as well as being dependent upon what the casing weighs, the loads and bullet weights you are shooting.

As far as the shell deflector, I loosened the allen screw only to find out that the hole isn't oblong like I thought it was going to be. You can take the SD off but whether or not there will be different factory or after market SD options has yet to be seen. A good machinist could come up with something suitable I can imagine.

Like I said, mine is probably unique to what I had at the time. Havn't had the chance to try anything else but the wolf FMJ's I had laying around. Your situation may very well be different than mine.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Range time with the Bushmaster ACR and disassembly(videos and range report)

Alright, thanks alot. I guess I will have to see for my self how it ejects. I've heard both good/bad.
    Rep inbound...

The distributor didn't have any when I ordered it, I'm thinking they had to send them out because of the recall.
    thanks again

(Delaware County)

The ACR I was shooting was throwing the brass between 2 and 4 o'clock. I haven't tried shooting it lefty though.

Some Bushmaster ACR Observations

ACR Observations, Part 2
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Montgomery County)

Great info. I can't wait to get this thing now and actually shoot it.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    The ACR I was shooting was throwing the brass between 2 and 4 o'clock. I haven't tried shooting it lefty though.

Some Bushmaster ACR Observations

ACR Observations, Part 2
    I like your review.

To add a few things, when taking the barrel out try pulling back on the charging handle just slightly after you have unlocked the trunnion nut and the barrel should just slide right out without much force. And when taking the piston out when the barrel/piston assembly is still seated in the upper you should only have to take the selector knob out and then you can grab the piston behind the gas block to pull it out.

I've also tried tons of different mags and have yet to have a problem with the bolt holding back. When the mag is empty, you can feel a slight change in recoil when the bolt locks to the rear but as far as sound its almost the same. This can probably be attributed to the lack of a buffer tube and spring on the ACR unlike the AR's.

Recoil is identical to the AR in my book. I've compared them side by side at the range. What surprises me is the direction of recoil is the same flat trajectory as with the linear AR platform. I would have thought the way the bolt carrier is positioned in the upper would have made a slight increase in axis tilt while firing causing the muzzle to rise more but it doesn't. It's nearly identical to the way the AR shoots.

Again, thanks for your review.
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    I like your review.
    Thanks

To add a few things, when taking the barrel out try pulling back on the charging handle just slightly after you have unlocked the trunnion nut and the barrel should just slide right out without much force.
    Duly noted. I wouldn't plan on removing the barrel often though.

And when taking the piston out when the barrel/piston assembly is still seated in the upper you should only have to take the selector knob out and then you can grab the piston behind the gas block to pull it out.
    Okay, you lost me. Selector knob? Do you mean the charging handle, or gas plug? I couldn't get my fingers or even a pair of needlenose pliers in between the barrel and upper receiver to get at the gas piston.

I've also tried tons of different mags and have yet to have a problem with the bolt holding back. When the mag is empty, you can feel a slight change in recoil when the bolt locks to the rear but as far as sound its almost the same. This can probably be attributed to the lack of a buffer tube and spring on the ACR unlike the AR's.
    I think I'm missing the "Sproing!" of the AR buffer spring in the buffer tube. I wasn't able to detect any difference in recoil when the ACR ran empty, but will try to feel for it next time.

Recoil is identical to the AR in my book. I've compared them side by side at the range. What surprises me is the direction of recoil is the same flat trajectory as with the linear AR platform. I would have thought the way the bolt carrier is positioned in the upper would have made a slight increase in axis tilt while firing causing the muzzle to rise more but it doesn't. It's nearly identical to the way the AR shoots.
    I think people were comparing the ACR with $4 A2 flash hider to their AR-15s with trick $75-$100 compensator/flash hider combo units like the FCS556 or the Rainer Arms unit, which isn't fair.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Philadelphia County)

I cant vouch for the legitimacy of this release, but here ya go nontheless..

http://www.scribd.com/full/39589694?...8ga8jzv33dn77w
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    Okay, you lost me. Selector knob? Do you mean the charging handle, or gas plug? I couldn't get my fingers or even a pair of needlenose pliers in between the barrel and upper receiver to get at the gas piston.

Yea the gas plug/gas selector. If you turn it to where the release button is down towards the barrel, the piston will slide right out towards the front.

I think I'm missing the "Sproing!" of the AR buffer spring in the buffer tube. I wasn't able to detect any difference in recoil when the ACR ran empty, but will try to feel for it next time.

sproooooiiiiiiing!
    Mine in blue.
    μολ ν λαβέ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12