Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to firearms

(Bucks County)

Default Re: New to firearms

M&P for me as well. I have the 40, but a 9 will feel the same, with a little less recoil. The 40 compact is still a large gun for concealment, so I casual carry, meaning in an IWB holster uncovered, and sometimes I OC. I also have 9mm and if you check out Tanners, they have M&P 9's around 449.00 I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post

The only downside I see to a CZ is they are not as popular so there is less aftermarket support for them. They are great guns to shoot though.
    No, there is another...some of their models are harder to find than a virgin in a brothel. I've been looking for a CZ 75 SA SS for over a year now. No luck and it doesn't look like any is on the way. Great to shoot? Well, a 4" clay pigeon doesn't stand a chance at 50 yds with one.
    Last edited by harold63; May 17th, 2013 at 10:16 AM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Erie County)

Well can't say I've taken a class yet, but I did some of my own research before I bought my first back in February. I ended up with the Beretta M9 as selection was rather thin at the time. Here is what I found out shooting 9mm for the first time. Recoil wasn't bad at all and while it certainly has more weight than the polymers easy enough to control.

So my basic point is unless you left the Navy because you were becoming frail you shouldn't have a problem handling the recoil from whatever you decide to purchase.

(Bucks County)

The M&P 9mm full-size was my first handgun. It felt great in my hands compared to similar-sized Beretta, Ruger, and of course Glock models. It will serve you well. (The recoil from a FS 9mm will not be an issue.)

OTOH, after 6 months firing the M&P9 I went back and tried a CZ85B because CZ had a generally excellent reputation, and the 9mms in particular. So I rented one and compared it directly to my M&P9.

At the counter the M&P9 had a slight edge in feel, but I shot comfortably and noticeably better using the CZ. I now use the CZ almost exclusively.

My points are these: Either of these will serve you well. But the feel you are most interested in is the feel while shooting, and how well you can shoot it. So my suggestion is as mentioned above . . . rent and shoot before buying.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post

The only downside I see to a CZ is they are not as popular so there is less aftermarket support for them. They are great guns to shoot though.

Frankly the CZ's are selling like hotcakes and often used ones are priced higher than new because you cannot find them. I never heard of them and learned of them on this forum. i like metal guns, hammer fired for the most part. I feel CZ's are as good as anything no matter the price and far better than anything at comparable prices. Just wish the RAMI was not so thick or i would sell my Shield and buy one of those as my EDC... That said, many fine pieces available. Believe a 9mm is not a good first piece but when you are ready, at least seek out and TRY a CZ75.

(Northampton County)

IF you want to try put Cz's or Cz clones I would be happy to take you to the range and let you shoot some -you cover the ammo. I have an assortment on hand and a few for sale. I have other varieties on hand as well. It is best to shoot a few before plunking down your hard eared dollars. Often what feels good in the hand at the gun store does not always work out at the range. I am in Easton Pa just north of you I am going to the Range -Easton fish and Game on Sunday morning you are welcome to come along and try some 9 mm pistols out. Brian / EFR P.S, I have plenty of 9 mm ammo on hand just bring some cash or your credit card to cover ammo costs .
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Lancaster County)

I always suggest listening to your instincts. If you tell us the M&P fits great in your hand you may already be sold. Try to take the guys up on the offer to meet and shoot their guns. The firearms community is great for that. There is more generosity here than we will ever get or expect credit for. I am also putting up a picture of my Glock 19 with USN logo since you too are a former squid. They are great pistols with characteristics suited for both the range and carry/defense. Im not trying to sway your opinion since there are so many great options but simply giving you something else to consider..... ...
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Northampton County)

Nothing wrong with anything that has been suggested -try as many as you can to ensure you buy the right one for you.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Montgomery County)

Hi I went to the range today. Much like someone said that if I could handle being in the Navy, I could handle a 9 mm. This was very true! At first I felt uncomfortable, But I found after a few rounds that I felt very comfortable and really had no major difference to the 22. I tried out couple different kinds gun out. Unfortunately, They didn't have a lot of guns that that were talked about here. Fortunately they did have a few. To begin with, being MP which I love love. A great gun the other gone him I tried was the Glock 17. I was not really impressed with the Glock. It was nice to shot, But ther were some issues for me about targeting and just the feel of the gun itself just doesn't feel right to me. The big surprise for me was I tried the Beretta M1A. Which is the same gun that I use while I was in the the Navy. I wasn't really a big fan of the Beretta in the Navy. Mainly because it jammed a lot. After speaking with another ex-Navy guy who told me that Brettas really Don't jam. It was really about maintenance. And if you don't maintain the gun, you can't keep up with it. Taking a chance I fired the Brerreta and I was very impressed the only thing I have against the Beretta is that the magazine release is only on the left side. I'm hoping to get the magazine release switch to the right side. Which I've been told can be done. The other thing that bothered me a little bit was the safety. The M&P and the Glock I like that there are no safety. I think I can overcome the safety but not the magazine release. I was very impressed with the feel the comfort the recoil and just in general the gun itself. I think I am going to get both the M and P9 and the Beretta M1A.

(Chester County)

The Beretta M9A1, 92FS, M9, or 92A1 are all great choices. The A1 models have the rail, and you can switch the mag release to the other side if you want. I think when you say M1A, you are probably talking about the M9A1, but yes it is similar to what you had in the Navy. Don't worry, they are VERY reliable, and accurate pistols. Tanners has a good selection of them, and even had a few CZ's last time I was in there. You can't go wrong with either, but right now you will certainly find a lot more Berettas than CZ's out there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast