Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: Local Gun Shop Question?

You want forged. It will be closer to military and stronger for the same weight. Billet is in case you want something that looks really cool but can't be done on a mass produced basis.

If you are paying more than $80 for a stripped lower you are crazy IMO. Unless you are looking for a certain roll mark on the side. PSA blems are often $50 or less on sale and I have some and can't tell what the blem is. Not sure how important looks are to you. They are not very important to me. Note that some use black or nearly black coatings, such as BCM. This surprised me at first since I am more accustomed to the gray finishes.

(Montgomery County)

Thank you for serving

Tanner's in Jamison (Bucks) has stripper Anderson lowers for $70 right now I believe. They are good quality, no frills lowers. They are usually 50 online + shipping and transfer, you're right in line with the price at Tanner's. They also have outstanding customer service and it's usually regarded as one of the best shops in the state.

A smaller shop is Modern Tactical in Lansdale. They are a bit more expensive, but owned by veterans and specialize ARs.

Honestly, who doesn't specialize in AR15's these days? People act as if you need to work magic to put together an AR15.

OP needs to make some friends in the area and they could assist him more than any LGS would ever help him.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks all for the responses, they are GREATLY appreciated . I will be visiting tanners and king to see which I like best as they are an even distance away.

How do I know if the stripped lower is mil spec in all aspects including type of aluminum, measurements, type of coating, and tolerances? I know that companies can claim mil spec if it meets only one or two qualities.

As far as meeting new friends that know what they are doing, I absolutely need to work on that as most of my old highschool buddies are dead beat losers and could care less about my guns or gun rights.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by jgalen0025 View Post
    How do I know if the stripped lower is mil spec in all aspects including type of aluminum, measurements, type of coating, and tolerances? I know that companies can claim mil spec if it meets only one or two qualities.
    Honestly - if you don't want to have to worry about if a lower is "mil-spec" get a lower (and preferably an upper, so mating wont be an issue) from any one of these companies (that I thought of off the top of my head):
    Bravo Company USA (BCM), Aero Precision, Mega Arms, Rainier Arms, Daniel Defense, Palmetto State Armory (PSA), Cross Machine Tool (CMT).

Pick any one of these, and you can't go wrong.

... now if you want the utmost quality, and want to know every possible stinkin detail of what material the lower is made out of, check out: Umbrella Corps Weapon Research Group (UCWRG).
    Last edited by Thompson; April 4th, 2015 at 01:43 AM.

(Warren County)

Welcome to PAFOA!.

Uppers, Lowers, whole guns.... palmetto state armory is a good inexpensive resource.
    http://www.palmettostatearmory.com

Are you building a lamborghini or a chevy truck? You should know why and what you want to buy to build. Spending money for names on pieces can get real expensive real quick.

You can insist on "the best" which is an elusive target, never fully reached.

Somebody somewhere is gonna have a feature, option, advertising gimmick to make you not feel happy about the $ you have sunk into your project.

Or you can buy / build to YOUR needs, and be happy with your project. and prolly have enough $ left for 2 other projects.

AR15.com is full of expertise and boneheads that insist that "XXXX" is absolutely the minimum spec.

Good luck, and remember milspec is a procurement tool, mostly.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Northampton County)

A *1*stripped lower receiver is not really a big deal. The important stuff is in the *2*upper, THAT is where you need to ask questions and educate yourself. There are very few lower receivers that have issues. If you have a question about a particular brand, just ask. The one thing you want to be sure of is that the pin hole sizes are milspec. The only brand I knew of that didn't always do this was Colt in their commercial ARs, and I am not sure they even do it anymore. Maybe there are others. Like I said, the only other thing is if you are concerned about color and finish type. Being prior mil and a Colt owner I preferred grey over black, but I have gotten over it.

Last thing that might concern you is two different *3*buffer tubes, commercial and milspec. That has nothing to do with a stripped lower, but keep it in mind. Most people prefer milspec (just for commonality, it is not better). Eventually you will also need to select the proper buffer but that can always be easily rectified.

(Chester County)

I cant help much with Montco shops but I can welcome you to the forum and wish you the best in your quest for your first Shootin' Iron.
    Jimmy cracked corn and HE didn't care! Why should I?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    Honestly - if you don't want to have to worry about if a lower is "mil-spec" get a lower (and preferably an upper, so mating wont be an issue) from any one of these companies (that I thought of off the top of my head):
    Bravo Company USA (BCM), Aero Precision, Mega Arms, Rainier Arms, Daniel Defense, Palmetto State Armory (PSA), Cross Machine Tool (CMT).

Pick any one of these, and you can't go wrong.

... now if you want the utmost quality, and want to know every possible stinkin detail of what material the lower is made out of, check out: Umbrella Corps Weapon Research Group (UCWRG).
    I am kind of anal when it comes to most things that I do and I was hoping that the receiver will be mil spec. I will definitely look at ICWRG, thanks

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Welcome to PAFOA!.

Uppers, Lowers, whole guns.... palmetto state armory is a good inexpensive resource.
    http://www.palmettostatearmory.com

Are you building a lamborghini or a chevy truck? You should know why and what you want to buy to build. Spending money for names on pieces can get real expensive real quick.

You can insist on "the best" which is an elusive target, never fully reached.

Somebody somewhere is gonna have a feature, option, advertising gimmick to make you not feel happy about the $ you have sunk into your project.

Or you can buy / build to YOUR needs, and be happy with your project. and prolly have enough $ left for 2 other projects.

AR15.com is full of expertise and boneheads that insist that "XXXX" is absolutely the minimum spec.

Good luck, and remember mil spec is a procurement tool, mostly.
    Thanks for the info. I am looking to build a middle of the rode rifle with certain upgraded parts that make the rifle high end for my use.(If that makes sense?) The one thing I hated about my govt issued m16 is that it had a lot of slop(from wear and tear) which I hated. I can understand the not feeling like you need the next latest and greatest to be happy with what you currently own. Seems like everything we own these days has that feeling.

Having money for other projects is definitely a goal! I want the rifle to be good for around 300 yards at the range but also double as a go to all around range rifle. I am still researching what optics I want for that purpose.

I eventually want to build an SBR for tactical use but that wont start happening for another 4 or so months.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast