Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: Time travellers from the future 'could be here in weeks'

Quote Originally Posted by Aran View Post
    In the future, time travel will be accomplished every dozen episodes, either by Tachyon emissions, slingshotting around the sun, or some other particle of the week.

Relax, they're just coming back on accident/to fix something Q broke/looking for a lost comrade who came back on accident...
    I've been saying that for YEARS.

(Lehigh County)

check this time travel vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRWwI61so5Q

very cool, and actually scientific.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Allegheny County)

Why can you only come back in time as far as the machine was made? You're assuming the machine is necessary to go back and forth? Like sending a signal to itself "through" time?

This stuff is always fun to talk about. Gotta love the scifi! I do...

(Lehigh County)

because the machine didn't exist prior to it's existence. lol... duh.

science imitates science-fiction imitates science.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Beaver County)

Well, I for one think it's very interesting. The only thing holding us back is technology. The taceons (sp?) not the emmisions but the transformation or resemblence of is an interesting concept, so to speak. Anything that would have the lower end speed of light and the upper end almost infinite is definitly exciting. As we all know that when you're approching the speed of light you're mass increases, time decreases as gravity decreases. As with earlier theories, you won't escape time from traveling the speed of light because since your mass is increasing, so will the gravity surrounding you. (pitfall sound) But, with the new cern site I think their going to be looking for antimatter. Which would be the next fuel source for space travel. (Wikapedia here they come). They are not looking for warping space time. They even had a committee get together with scientists to show they wer'nt going to generate black holes.> They showed this on the Discovery Channel.

Back on topic: I think it was about time travel. First warping time and space. I think it can be done, just not with our technology now. But you can see it would be a lot easier to warp space to jump to the other side of the universe in a more efficient mannor than in a straight line. You're really not changing time for x-traveler. Even though they may have traveled several light years. Upon return the travelers watch may only be a few minutes behind the one here on Earth. Second going back in time, I don't think it's possable. Although some would argue if you exceeded the speed of light for several years you would be able to pick up transmissions from years ago. But that's all you would pick up, you have no destination once you're there. Sure you can pick up radio wave transmissions but, so what? Would you say you would then comunicate with the radio transmissions, say give a warning? I'll let yins think on that.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by roland View Post
    But you can see it would be a lot easier to warp space to jump to the other side of the universe in a more efficient mannor than in a straight line.
    actually, the development of negative energy is the key. mathematically it exists... theoretically it can be used for space travel... realistically, it's only a matter of time (ok, bad pun)

negative energy would work like this: take your ship, create a negative energy field around it, and apply more energy towards your destination point, less towards your origin. What you will do is actually collapse space between you and your target while simultaneously expanding space between you and your starting point. You then cross the distance between the collapsed space... turning millions of light years into say... several feet. the traveling itself would be near instantaneous, without having to "fold" space.

You're really not changing time for x-traveler. Even though they may have traveled several light years. Upon return the travelers watch may only be a few minutes behind the one here on Earth.
    a little backwards there. the traveler would return from the trip to find time has passed faster on Earth. Depending on the amount of "time" as well as the speed traveled, the traveler could return to find an Earth several minutes older, or even several thousand years older.

Second going back in time, I don't think it's possable. Although some would argue if you exceeded the speed of light for several years you would be able to pick up transmissions from years ago.
    And there, what you would do is, were you exceeding the constant of light, pass through those transmissions. When you stopped, you could then pick them up. The equivalent would be firing a bullet from a rifle and then transporting downrange fast enough to set up the target (range safety, everyone) BEFORE the bullet got there.

Also, it's "Tachyons" and "possible".

Lastly, the paradox of time travel is never accurate in TV/movies.

Simply, it goes like this: You can NOT change something in the past, as it will have happened in your future. You will therefore NEVER have gone back to make the change, so in fact the change will not have occurred.

And now I've gone crosseyed.
    Last edited by Ten*K; February 8th, 2008 at 11:58 PM.

(Beaver County)

Ten*K, I agree with most of your comments, except the part in time. As the traveller gets closer to the speed of light his time would go faster than the watch on Earth, oops we're saying the same thing now, I was wrong in the first post.

But, secondly,Your implying aplying the positive energy from the same source as the negative energy. Maybe not, and it would be a secondary source. As I would think it would need to be.

And lastly, we're in agreement here, isn't crossing folded space the same as your "collapesed space". Unless you're collapsed space is a black hole, which is what I understand collapsed space to be.

Hey, if we do get time travel...can we get Thomas Jefferson in the house to fix all this bullshit going on now?

I'm writing in TJ when I go to vote, damnit.
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

(Lehigh County)

Ten*K, I agree with most of your comments, except the part in time. As the traveller gets closer to the speed of light his time would go faster than the watch on Earth, oops we're saying the same thing now, I was wrong in the first post.

But, secondly,Your implying aplying the positive energy from the same source as the negative energy. Maybe not, and it would be a secondary source. As I would think it would need to be.

And lastly, we're in agreement here, isn't crossing folded space the same as your "collapesed space". Unless you're collapsed space is a black hole, which is what I understand collapsed space to be.

sorry man, you are backwards again. as YOU get closer to the constant (the term for the speed of light), YOUR time slows down

and collapsing space is different than folding it. folding space to create a wormhole is a gravity-based event, i.e., you create such a massive gravitational force as to bend space-time back on its self close enough that you can pass through a temporary hole in the plane of existence you happen to be in.

collapsing space is based off of negative theoretical energy, and such travel is based off the mathematical concept that space-time is non-linear, in fact that it is already folded over like so much ribbon candy. the waves of space-time are generally evenly spaced apart. please check here for a clearer idea of what im talking about. NOTE: they call it a warp drive, but it is completely different than the idea behind "Star Trek" warp engines.

http://www.popsci.com/military-aviat...-05/warp-drive

(Lehigh County)

and all that, is of course, relative.

because how fast are you really going right now?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast