Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LTCF turn in?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: LTCF turn in?

Quote Originally Posted by Driver400 View Post
    Some states have a time limit to apply for a resident's permit (license). I know TN requires that if you move into the state you have 6 months to apply. Be sure to check other states laws before you just assume that your PA LTCF is good until it expires as this is not always the case.

But I have found no requirment that you turn in your PA LTCF
    Maybe its just your wording...but it sounds like you only have 6 months from the time you move in to apply for your new state's license?

(Jefferson County)

There is no requirement to turn in your license if you move. It is good until it expires or is revoked. The requirement to have a license from your home state(if they issue) is for the issuance of a PA LTCF to a nonresident. There is no requirement to have one from your home state to keep a LTCF.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Maybe its just your wording...but it sounds like you only have 6 months from the time you move in to apply for your new state's license?
    I am sorry about that. Yes it was the way I worded it.
    For an example, once you become a resident of TN they will honor your PA LTCF for a period of 6 months only. After that time you must apply for a resident permit. I do not know other states laws on this but I do know that this is what TN requires. We are planning on a move to the Bristol VA/TN area so I have been checking into their firearm laws.
    Really all I am saying is for people to please don't think that their PA LTCF will be good in all states until it expires should they move into another state. You may very well be safe in some states, but check the laws in the state you plan on moving into and save yourself some possible grief.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Driver400 View Post
    I am sorry about that. Yes it was the way I worded it.
    For an example, once you become a resident of TN they will honor your PA LTCF for a period of 6 months only. After that time you must apply for a resident permit. .
    Found this:

If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, such person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee. Such person will be processed as a renewal applicant if the eligibility requirements of the other state are substantially similar to the eligibility requirements of Tennessee.
    OK..now i see...you must apply within 6 months of becoming a resident...but then once you have your resident TN permit, your PA LTCF is still good thru the "must have license of your home state"...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12