Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lycoming County)

Default Re: Glocks & having to move sights

An out of round barrel can cause this as well as a land being cut incorrectly.

(Allegheny County)

Shoot some differant distances also, try starting out at 5 yds then keep moving the target back, see where it starts to go left. It does'nt take much to be off at 20yds when shooting a G27.

Every Glock I ever owned has always shot center with no sight ajustment need, but I rarely shoot past 15yds.
    Last edited by arjohnson; February 23rd, 2010 at 09:27 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    Targets look somewhat like this?
    Yes, that's pretty much how my targets (pie plates hung on plywood ) look at 20 yrds. Originally I was shooting at soda cans at 10 yards and found I had to hold high and right to hit the can. I could consistantly hit the cans if I would imagine aiming at a bad guy's left shoulder to hit him center mass. Worked, but not ideal.

I’m 31 and have been shooting all my life, but only a few times a year. As a young’n, I shot competition air pistol for many years. Focusing on the front sight and following through is engrained in me. However, the G27 is ‘my’ first ‘real’ pistol. I have a other various hand-me-downs .41 mag, .380, etc. that I shoot once in a while. Never had a problem transitioning between different types of pistols.

My G27 is stock except for a wolf guide rod and spring (original broke @ 40 rnds) and a talon decal grip. Fit and finish on the piece is nice. No obvious flaws. I don’t have any trouble keeping a firm grip on it or maintaining sight picture. After firing a round the sights are not far off from the target and I only let the trigger forward just enough for the trigger to reset. I also dry fire a bunch to practice the trigger pull. With all that said, I don’t think it’s my technique, but I certainly want to do some more shooting and prove it to myself.

Thank you for the many good suggestions are posted on resolving my issue.

BIL has a G27 too, so I’ll shoot his and see what I do. I’ve shot his G17 without any trouble. I’ll bench shoot mine to see if that helps, and I’ll also try shooting week hand and 1-handed competition style. I’ve tried to shoot about 100 rnds every weekend for the past month or so, but I think the bottom line is that it will take a bit more ammo and practice to iron this issue out. Unfortunately I don’t know any local expert glock shooters to let them test it.

If I can rule myself out as the problem, I’ll look into sending to the factory for a look-over. I’d like to keep it stock as much as possible.

(Allegheny County)

What would cause a guide rod to break in 40 rds?

Maybe the pistol does have problems?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    What would cause a guide rod to break in 40 rds?

Maybe the pistol does have problems?
    yes, that bit of info does put things in a different light.

i'd still try to have a prolific glock shooter shoot it if possible, but given the guide rod breaking, i am much more inclined to think something really is messed up with the gun and a call to glock is in order.
    F*S=k

(Berks County)

Unhappy Re: Glocks & having to move sights

Apparently there was a string of dual spring guide rods that were flawed. I called glock and they immediately shipped me a replacement.

But.... I may be in denial that there's nothing wrong with my glock.

I field stripped it the other day after shooting to check it out. The larger (wolf) spring overlapped itself a few spirals. No apparent damage, and the pistol did work, but that's not exactly how the spring should compress!

After another 100 rnds this weekend a field strip showed no issues.

Guess I just need to keep shooting. I'm going to throw the replacement stock guide rod back in to see if I can break it as the original.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFreedom View Post
    Guess I just need to keep shooting. I'm going to throw the replacement stock guide rod back in to see if I can break it as the original.
    This is what I would do.

You initiated a failure in the original guide rod / spring assembly which may be plastic but is fairly durable. Now I realize it's a .40, and not a 9mm like mine. But it's meant to last quite a bit longer than 40 rounds. Now your aftermarket recoil assembly is binding. (Could be the fact that most of these are gimmicky to start with and usually do not fit or work correctly.)

Or your pistol could genuinely be screwed up. You're 2 for 2 with recoil assembly problems. I'd put the thing back to stock, in a box, and it would be on it's way back to Glock for them to at least eyeball.

I would shoot it with the stock recoil assembly first to see if you could initiate another failure. And I'd probably check the pistol out pretty intently. See if there are irregular wear marks, or things binding. Something is either wrong, you have horrible luck, or you put the slide on backwards...

(Chester County)

FWIW, I've NEVER seen a broken Glock guide rod.

The rentals we had ran on the original guide rod/ spring into the 10's of thousands of rounds.

If Glock says they had a bad batch, I'd believe it. I'd also put a factory one in there and see if it breaks again. I don't like aftermarket internals, but that's me.

(Lawrence County)

A stacking recoil spring can kill a lot of parts.......

Lycanreplacethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12