Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Margins on firearms

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    The markup on guns by dealers typically range between 5% and 25% depending on the dealer. Places like Gander Mountain has a really high markup - they will list things at MSRP when other shops have a price over $100 less for the same thing.

Dealers don't make much money on guns. The money is in the accessories and other sporting goods.
    This is untrue about Gander Mountain, at least when I worked at the one in Dickson City (granted this was 8 years ago). All new guns typically had a markup of 5% to 10%. All used guns have a markup of at least 20%, but usually 30%. What they used to do for that was if you were selling your gun outright, you got 70% of the value listed in Big Blue Book of Gun Values. If you were trading it in and buying another one same day, you got 80% of the trade in value from the book.

Gander makes squat on firearms, their bread and butter is clothing.
    Stay armed my friends.

(Bucks County)

FWIW, I was inadvertently given my dealer's distributor price on a common Mossberg 500. Their price was $50 above cost, which still came in lower than ordering from Bud's and paying the transfer. Seemed fair to me all around.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by wrangler1120 View Post
    This is untrue about Gander Mountain, at least when I worked at the one in Dickson City (granted this was 8 years ago). All new guns typically had a markup of 5% to 10%. All used guns have a markup of at least 20%, but usually 30%. What they used to do for that was if you were selling your gun outright, you got 70% of the value listed in Big Blue Book of Gun Values. If you were trading it in and buying another one same day, you got 80% of the trade in value from the book.

For a lot of guns, it is true. When they put a $479-$499 tag on an H&R Buffalo Classic, which is MSRP, while other stores sell the gun for well under $400 - that says a lot about Gander Mountain. At Walmarts that still sell guns, or at least still have their FFL, you can special order the Buff Classic for about what Buds is selling them for.

I've seen a bunch of other disproportionate pricing of Gander versus many other places on a number of guns.
    Last edited by knight0334; December 30th, 2013 at 02:12 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lawrence County)

I don't know about Dickson City but it's absolutely true about all the Gander Mountain stores I've been to in Western Pa. I was just there about 2 weeks ago and they had a Ruger SR1911 for $799 and a 10/22 takedown for $349, both full MSRP. Haven't seen the takedowns lately but I saw them at $299 a few months ago and I've looked at a few SR1911's recently because I've been thinking about buying the commander size and they're usually about $649.

(Lehigh County)

Thanks for everyone's input.

That is what i thought... the margin on the actual firearm is poor, the money is in all of the other stuff like the 1000's of rounds of amo and various other items i had purchases such as holsters, etc.

I call shenanigans! Gander In Dickson City is selling Glock 17,19,23 Gen 4s for $699, yes $699! At my LGS they are 525.

I guess I could have edited my post, but the proof is in the pudding

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...=617799&r=view

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12