Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: Expert advice on selecting a handgun

Quote Originally Posted by Fudmottin View Post
    I've never carried a gun that could hold more than eleven rounds. That was a G30. But I wasn't confident with it because of feed failures. So I switched to the rather more sophisticated but less powerful HK P7M8. That gun will feed an empty case! It also has an unusual manual of arms that may make a bad guy who takes it from you not figure out how to shoot it straight away.

Anyway, I'm not trying to say not to carry something that's not effective. I agree with the above sentiment that you should also be comfortable with what you carry. I don't see myself dropping down to a 25 ACP.

I have felt under gunned when carrying the S&W 638. The J frame is just not got the round count. It is also hard to handle so hitting anything requires it to be too darn close. A 7+1 capacity 380 makes me feel better even though the round is considered weaker. I've tested it against junk cars in the past and I really, really wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a 95gr FMJ from a 380.

Warpt762x39, an AR-15 with 20 inch barrel is more effective than an M4 with 14 inch barrel. I think some of them are even shorter than that. Those knock several football field lengths off of the effective range since the 5.56 relies so much on velocity.

I also think that the guy who wrote Blackhawk Down missed more than he would care to admit. I don't care how drugged up you are. You get hit in the chest with one of those rounds and you are going down sometime in the next ten seconds.
    Don't forget about the cops blasting BGs at close range with 20+ rounds of .40 S&W and not dropping the guy right away.

Pure adrenalin can keep you up and running dispite normally grevious wounds.

Look at Brad Kasal. He was hit 7 times with AK fire and had 40 pieces of shrapnel in his body from grenades. All of it in an enclosed space. Sometimes being hit repeatedly even at close range doesn't mean you will go down right away or even at all.

That's Kasal in the middle.

Hi, I am new to handguns and found this site while doing some research for a self defense/home defense gun. I will first have to admit that I was really intersted in buying a Taurus Judge, but after reading a thread on here I changed my mind (Thank you Synergy, it was a lot of your post on that thread that enlightened me on the Judge's capabilities).

I am new to handguns as stated, but own a few semi autos and revolvers. I kind of jumped into buying some things that maybe now I wished I hadn't, but feel that I have a decent starting ground. After reading this entire thread (several caffine drinks later cause it is very late at night), I have a few questions that I would like to get a perspective on from some more knowledgable people than I. Hopefully my questions don't make me look stupid.

1.) I would say that I believe a revolver to be more reliable than a semi auto matic, however after reading this understand their handicap of capacity. My fear is that the I will have jams frequently when using a hollow point round due to slide ramp catching the nose of the round. Also, my engineering background makes me concerned of leaving a magazine loaded will affect the spring strength therefore causing a second problem with semi automatic's reliabiltiy. Am I off on these 2 concerns? Is there anything that I can do?

2.)Related to the 1st question: What is a typical life expectancy of a good semi auto like a springfield or glock (if those are good)? By this I mean assuming it was well taken care of, clean after each shooting practice in the form of years or number of rounds fired per gun and per magazine?

3.)Do you think a good tactical flashlight turned on and mounted to the front of the gun would help reduce the affects of muzzle flash during a nighttime setting?

Sorry for the wall, but many of you seem way more educated than I and this is a thread for expert advice on selecting a handgun so I thought I would ask here.

Thanks

I forgot to mention that I am more specifically looking at 2 guns for 2 different scenarios. I want a gun for concealed carry and am looking at buying a springfield xdm 9mm because of it's capacity. I am a big guy so I don't think concealment will be much of a problem. The other gun I am thinking about could be either my springfile XD45 or my Taurus 608 revolver for a night stand gun.

(York County)

My take, in short form:
    1. If you are concerned with the nose, use a polymer filled Jacketed Hollow Point like Cor-Bon's Powr'Ball. This will also help with the possibility of expansion failure due to heavy clothing. Springs are so advanced these days though some people disagree. But in the Army they preach that you can pull a dry loaded magazine out of an ammo box from the cold war era, pop it in an M-16A1 and fire it off.
    2. Your grandchildren will be shooting it.
    3. I prefer tritium night sights. One shot, one kill. Shouldn't need to worry about muzzle flash then... :0)

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by BAM5150 View Post
    1.) I would say that I believe a revolver to be more reliable than a semi auto matic, however after reading this understand their handicap of capacity. My fear is that the I will have jams frequently when using a hollow point round due to slide ramp catching the nose of the round.
    This is not an issue in most modern semi-auto's. Some 1911's can give problems with hollow point ammunition, but even that is becoming more and more rare these days (it's not an issue with the 1911 design so much as it is poor fit, improper assembly or substandard parts from certain manufacturers to cut costs and increase profit). Barring a defect, a modern semi-auto is more likely to have a failure to feed due to user-controlled problems such as improper grip leading to limp wristing, worm springs (recoil spring mostly, the life span on these tends to vary per gun but most of them are 5000 rounds or more) leaving a gun exceptionally dirty (as in after shooting for tens of hours for most quality polymer semi-autos), improper lubrication or using substandard ammunition.

Also, my engineering background makes me concerned of leaving a magazine loaded will affect the spring strength therefore causing a second problem with semi automatic's reliabiltiy.
    Not a concern, the compression of the spring doesn't wear it out, repeatedly compressing and decompressing does. So magazine springs will indeed wear out, but that's done by shooting or by loading and unloading them.

Is there anything that I can do?
    1.Take a basic handgun course to make sure you know the basics of shooting. Some can figure it out for themselves, most can't. When you figure out most of it on your own but also learn a few bad habits along the way, it can take a long time to identify and then correct them. Start out right. A basic course will give you an idea of proper grip, proper trigger technique and how to use the sights. After that, shoot a lot, take some advanced tactical courses, join an IDPA or IPSC club and get better.

2.Keep the gun properly lubricated. A good starting point is the manual, do what it says to start, then search out information on the 'net about how people who run their guns hard are lubing them (provided they're running the same gun as you, how a Grandmaster lubes his 1911 may have no bearing on how you should lube your Springfield XD).

3.Learn the maintenance cycle of your gun. The manual may have this, you may have to contact the manufacturer or search the information out on the net. Find out when the recoil spring needs replaced (how many rounds).

4.Inspect your magazines each time you clean your gun after firing. Check the springs for visible signs of wear or corrosion. When it's time, replace the stock magazine springs with Wolf springs +10% power springs if you have the option. While this isn't necessarily necessary, it generally won't hurt. You can go your entire life running the stock magazine springs in a Glock and never have an issue, but Wolf springs are stronger and it's a teeny, tiny bit of extra insurance in some guns in stock confirguration (Glock) and a huge help in others (1911/2011, some HK's etc...)

2.)Related to the 1st question: What is a typical life expectancy of a good semi auto like a springfield or glock (if those are good)? By this I mean assuming it was well taken care of, clean after each shooting practice in the form of years or number of rounds fired per gun and per magazine?
    Magazine bodies will wear out over time, but that's usually a long, long time for most magazines. The springs in the mags and the gun will go first. Those are all easily replaceable on almost all semi-automatic handguns, if you can follow the manual to clean the gun or the magazine, you can usually change the springs. The gun itself, provided it's a quality gun like a Glock, XD, HK, CZ, 1911, M&P etc... minus the springs, should last longer than you do if it's maintained properly. Change the springs, keep it lubed and inspect the gun for any damage or inexplicable wear. There are guys that shoot tens of thousands of rounds a year, and they can wear a gun out, most shooters don't approach that number though. If you turn out to be one of those guys, then you'll know when it's time to replace the gun. I've seen guns go a reported 100,000 rounds and still have life left in them, but most seem to retire the gun before then because the guys that shoot that much also like to buy guns and shoot stuff, a lot.

3.)Do you think a good tactical flashlight turned on and mounted to the front of the gun would help reduce the affects of muzzle flash during a nighttime setting?
    It could, but that carries with it it's own set of concerns and issues. Using a light with a gun is a specific skill that I really think people should learn more about before they do it. A novice without any practical experience or education can easily give their position away and give their adversary a huge target by using a light improperly (and sometimes that can happen even when you do everything right). Muzzle flash in a nighttime defensive shoot is really one of the least of your worries (quality self-defense rounds have flash retardant powder, which helps reduce the flash). There are benefits to having a light mounted to a gun, but in novice hands I think the benefits are outweighed by the potential pitfalls. Some may disagree though.
    Last edited by NineseveN; August 1st, 2009 at 01:00 PM.

VMI 2002,

Thanks for your reply. What exactly do you mean by dry loaded magazine? Does that mean an empty magazine or one that has been loaded and allowed to sit for a long time? You addressed my questions well, but I do wonder if one should keep their magazine loaded all the time or cycle between loaded magazines from time to time? Also, should you keep a magazine fully loaded to its capacity or should you partially load it (say maybe ~75% capacity). What I am getting at is that I am the type of person who would prefer to have something ready to go, but I may not mess with it or shoot it for long periods unless otherwise advised to.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by BAM5150 View Post
    VMI 2002,

Thanks for your reply. What exactly do you mean by dry loaded magazine? Does that mean an empty magazine or one that has been loaded and allowed to sit for a long time? You addressed my questions well, but I do wonder if one should keep their magazine loaded all the time or cycle between loaded magazines from time to time? Also, should you keep a magazine fully loaded to its capacity or should you partially load it (say maybe ~75% capacity). What I am getting at is that I am the type of person who would prefer to have something ready to go, but I may not mess with it or shoot it for long periods unless otherwise advised to.
    I addressed this in my initial reply to you, but here's an article that might help ease your mind a bit:
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...7/ai_99130369/

Thanks for you input NineseveN. I will definately read this article. I just signed up for a range membership at one of the gunshops here and will see if they have any one who can give some training. What little I do know is from a cop friend of mine, but that training was more like taking the dime tour, lol. Thanks again.

(Montgomery County)

Excellent informative article. Especially since it describes what it might be like in the real world as opposed to the controlled environment at the range. Thanks for posting it.

Ham radio: when all else fails.

(Lebanon County)

Awesome thread. Incredibly Helpful.

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast