Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Re: 2nd BODY ARMOR GROUP BUY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Tagging this thread because I want in on the next group buy.

Also, whats the benefit inn buying steel plates versus ceramic?
    Ceramic is lighter. But here are some facts that I have found when checking it them when considering going in on the first group buy.

The idea behind SAPI (ceramic) plates as body armor is that the hard material stops the bullet by breaking, absorbing, and dampening the impact in order to catch it. A projectile flying extremely fast carries with it immense kinetic energy, and so the material of the SAPI plate must be strong enough to be able to handle this energy.

When a bullet or other projectile moving at a high velocity hits the SAPI plate, the hard ceramic material shatters and the bullet material is blunted. This process absorbs and dissipates the kinetic energy of the projectile, effectively blocking the projectile and protecting against penetration through the body armor.

Ceramic plates: These plates are relatively lightweight for the protection provided, but are often more expensive, can be fragile in day-to-day use, and usually cannot withstand as many closely spaced hits as other plate types. Ceramic plates need to be x-rayed each year to ensure that hidden cracks are not present. They also have a shorter life span since they were also prone to breakage if dropped or you fell on them.

These factors led me away from SAPI and towards metal, more than the cost did. (That and that I may be ordering a second set for the kid in the near future) If the time ever comes, that I find myself wearing my body armor. Then things have gone down hill pretty badly. I won't be able to purchase replacement ceramic plates. I will be stuck with what I have, and they will have to last me as long as I need them too.

These are why I opted to go with the heavier metal plates over the ceramic plates.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Delaware County)

Your reasons for getting these plates not only mirror why I wanted to run these group buys, but also the cost was a huge factor in determining the longevity of these plates. Ceramic plates have a shelp life of 5-6 years.

Steel does not have a shelf life.

Steel plates with the proper carrier will help dissipate the kinetic energy from a direct hit. Additional protection from the rhino liner prevents the bullet fragments from introducing a secondary wound.

Steel is heavier, but we need the exercise anyway.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Ceramic is lighter. But here are some facts that I have found when checking it them when considering going in on the first group buy.

The idea behind SAPI (ceramic) plates as body armor is that the hard material stops the bullet by breaking, absorbing, and dampening the impact in order to catch it. A projectile flying extremely fast carries with it immense kinetic energy, and so the material of the SAPI plate must be strong enough to be able to handle this energy.

When a bullet or other projectile moving at a high velocity hits the SAPI plate, the hard ceramic material shatters and the bullet material is blunted. This process absorbs and dissipates the kinetic energy of the projectile, effectively blocking the projectile and protecting against penetration through the body armor.

Ceramic plates: These plates are relatively lightweight for the protection provided, but are often more expensive, can be fragile in day-to-day use, and usually cannot withstand as many closely spaced hits as other plate types. Ceramic plates need to be x-rayed each year to ensure that hidden cracks are not present. They also have a shorter life span since they were also prone to breakage if dropped or you fell on them.

These factors led me away from SAPI and towards metal, more than the cost did. (That and that I may be ordering a second set for the kid in the near future) If the time ever comes, that I find myself wearing my body armor. Then things have gone down hill pretty badly. I won't be able to purchase replacement ceramic plates. I will be stuck with what I have, and they will have to last me as long as I need them too.

These are why I opted to go with the heavier metal plates over the ceramic plates.
    Those are all excellent points. However, with steel plates, I would think getting hit with a round you are more likely to be hit in your appendages or head by ricocheting off the steel or even fragmenting and hitting other areas f the body like a dozen razor blades.

Whereas with ceramic, they absorb the round and keeps is from further potential injury.

Granted, I am only now learning about body armor and I may be wrong. But I would like to hear your thoughts on this.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Those are all excellent points. However, with steel plates, I would think getting hit with a round you are more likely to be hit in your appendages or head by ricocheting off the steel or even fragmenting and hitting other areas f the body like a dozen razor blades.

Whereas with ceramic, they absorb the round and keeps is from further potential injury.

Granted, I am only now learning about body armor and I may be wrong. But I would like to hear your thoughts on this.
    If the plates are just metal, your right. Fragmentation can be a problem. But then, I'ld rather catch metal fragments in my arms and legs instead of a round in the chest or back.

The plates we ordered had the option of "Rhino Coating". It is shown to absorb the fragments of the rounds, eliminating that problem. I know I paid extra for the coating. The test they did showed that it worked very well.

Also, they don't totally cover your body. But they are designed to cover your "vital organs". Worn up high on the body, they protect the important stuff that you need to live. A gut shot would hurt, but isn't as likely to kill you immediately like a shot into your hearts or lungs.

Testing the Rhino Liner

Last edited by Mtbkski; March 28th, 2013 at 12:23 AM.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Delaware County)

You are correct in your statement. The plates are designed to give you survivability from a direct hit to the plates. Without the plates, you don't stand a good chance of surviving, if hit in the vitals.

There are other forms of body armor that could be worn in conjunction with these plates. I am not sure that would be a suitable solution to eliminating a threat. Pound for Pound, buck to buck, these coated plates offer a greta level of protection overall.

We will be doing another buy within a few weeks.

Renov8

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    If the plates are just metal, your right. Fragmentation can be a problem. But then, I'ld rather catch metal fragments in my arms and legs instead of a round in the chest or back.

The plates we ordered had the option of "Rhino Coating". It is shown to absorb the fragments of the rounds, eliminating that problem. I know I paid extra for the coating. The test they did showed that it worked very well.

Also, they don't totally cover your body. But they are designed to cover your "vital organs". Worn up high on the body, they protect the important stuff that you need to live. A gut shot would hurt, but isn't as likely to kill you immediately like a shot into your hearts or lungs.
    Thanks for the vids.
    If they can hold the bullet of a .308 than I would feel comfortable in wearing them so long as they have the Rhino Liner.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Delaware County)

If not the rhino liner, then you need some typ of kevlar sleeve to catch the spaul. Those bullet fragments are traveling awefully fast and are razor sharp.

They will cut thru a PC without any protection. the fragments can hit you under the chin and neck area, severing the carotid artery.

Better to have the plates coated and/or covered to prevent fragments from escaping.

(Northampton County)

Just got word that my order shipped (#2520).

. . . any updates on the carrier GB?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by BionicMan View Post
    Just got word that my order shipped (#2520).

. . . any updates on the carrier GB?
    Waiting for the plates to arrive and then we will pick up with the PC.

(Allegheny County)

I just received my matching plate carrier in the mail and was a bit confused. It came with pockets for the side plates that have molle on one side, but no means of attaching them to the carrier... so should I just get some MALICE clips or something?

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast