Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Legally Armed Jogger Defends His Right to Carry Gun in Front of Phila Police.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    What would your average round-trip time to Harrisburg be if you travel in your private vehicle? Somewhat more than mine, I'd wager. And significantly longer than the ride to your sheriff. What about those who use public transit?
    An individual can make application for Act 235 at any Pennsylvania State Police Barracks. The same could be done with LTCF possibly. The PSP does a great job with the administration of Act 235 and Act 120. By investing the process for an LTCF with the PSP it could definitely help to make the process more uniform throughout the Commonwealth.

Default Re: Legally Armed Jogger Defends His Right to Carry Gun in Front of Phila Police.

Officer; "There's been 2 murders on this corner , , , "

Runner; " No shit! Why do you think I'm carrying a gun?"
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    What would your average round-trip time to Harrisburg be if you travel in your private vehicle? Somewhat more than mine, I'd wager. And significantly longer than the ride to your sheriff. What about those who use public transit?
    I was thinking along the line of a PSP Station..

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Well, I figured that much out. (:

The question is, why did they write it that way? I just wonder, specifically, why?

Normally, one would think state govt would prefer to keep this power for itself. So I'm just curious why it parsed it out to a lower level.

Many years ago I had a class that this was discussed in and the general theory was that the restriction of guns and denial of carrying firearms or licensing to carry firearms began at a time when most communities had no local police and the Sheriff was either a town sheriff or county sheriff. They were the original control function. In the era after the civil war into the era of the Wild West, the office of Sheriff was usually the only law enforcement function. Many communities and counties began to ban firearm carrying, and that then transformed into exceptions and licensing for others required to carry based on work, threat, or the largest reason.... politics. Hence the Sheriff was tasked with the banning of guns and issuance of licensing.
    They ended up with it, because they were the only ones around to do it, when that society decided quite foolishly that carrying a gun in a civilized world was not necessary except for certain reasons.

State level policing did not begin until 1905 when our very own Governor Pennypacker created the Pennsylvania State Police. Right Uncle Jumbo...

By the way, that class was probably one of the best college CJ courses I ever had, we talked and discussed things that engaged you and made you think. Today it would never occur and what was discussed would cause the current generation of student to run screaming to their safe place, and we would be former students after our first discussion.
    Last edited by Big Kahuna 19547; May 5th, 2016 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Clear up typing

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna 19547 View Post
    Many years ago I had a class that this was discussed in and the general theory was that the restriction of guns and denial of carrying firearms or licensing to carry firearms began at a time when most communities had no local police and the Sheriff was either a town sheriff or county sheriff. They were the original control function. In the era after the civil war into the era of the Wild West, the office of Sheriff was usually the only law enforcement function. Many communities and counties began to ban firearm carrying, and that then transformed into exceptions and licensing for others required to carry based on work, threat, or the largest reason.... politics. Hence the Sheriff was tasked with the banning of guns and issuance of licensing.
    They ended up with it, because they were the only ones around to do it, when that society decided quite foolishly that carrying a gun in a civilized world was not necessary except for certain reasons.

State level policing did not begin until 1905 when our very own Governor Pennypacker created the Pennsylvania State Police. Right Uncle Jumbo...

By the way, that class was probably one of the best college CJ courses I ever had, we talked and discussed things that engaged you and made you think. Today it would never occur and what was discussed would cause the current generation of student to run screaming to their safe place, and we would be former students after our first discussion.
    Interesting. Thanks for posting (:

But I'm guessing the UFA was passed after the creation of the PSP and certainly after PennDot. Seems like they could have made it a statewide thing at that point.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    You don't have to immediately produce your LTCF to Philly cops when OC'ing, but they are then entitled to arrest you for possessing a firearm on the streets of Philadelphia.

Licensing is an exception to the ban; the burden is on you to prove the exception. The license is proof. Show the proof, or they can take you in and you can experience the charm of a Philly cell.

As there is a 24/7/365 call center maintained by PSP per the law, would not providing your name be enough to ensure enable them to do their job & investigate if a crime is infact being committed?
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    As there is a 24/7/365 call center maintained by PSP per the law, would not providing your name be enough to ensure enable them to do their job & investigate if a crime is infact being committed?
    Computer systems go down for service. There are regular times where BMV is down for maintenance and nothing can get looked up. So that 24/7/365 is not really 24/7/365.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Computer systems go down for service. There are regular times where BMV is down for maintenance and nothing can get looked up. So that 24/7/365 is not really 24/7/365.
    Good ones have redundant capability - ala "data warehouse" - so even if a primary system goes down for edits, there is still a read-only system available for retrieval.

Some systems suck (:

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Well, the burden is on you to show that you are within the exception; so, kind of like with alibis, you can assert it and they can check it out to see if they're wasting their time. But they can take you into custody and book you while they do it.

In Philly, just show them the LTCF.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

If it were me, in Philly I would show my LTCF any other area the LEO can have a nice day and be on his way. I hope to get my MD permit soon and then I will get my PA. I am on day 54 of a 90 day wait for my MD permit.

NOBODY

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast