Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Constable kicks in wrong door - Homeowner armed(Near Pittsburgh)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I saw what was likely a re-broadcast of this on WPXI this morning.
    He goes into more detail about what happened, including being put on the ground in handcuffs along with his sixteen year old daughter. Both face down on the pavement, hands cuffed, guns pointed at them.

Said they again asked if he was the guy they were looking for. Says they never apologized - just got in the cars and left.

That's messed up.
    That's more than messed up, it's detainment without probable cause, along with trespassing.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Once I become a Constable, you won't be reading about ME doing crap like that. I am replacing a guy that was a bad apple.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-...8.story?page=5

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Beretta View Post
    Once I become a Constable, you won't be reading about ME doing crap like that. I am replacing a guy that was a bad apple.

Good luck getting work from your local MDJs! After a bad apple, I bet they'll be twice as reluctant to give work to a new constable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Beretta View Post

that is terrible!

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    Good luck getting work from your local MDJs! After a bad apple, I bet they'll be twice as reluctant to give work to a new constable.

Nah.... the local DJ is all for me getting the job. I also have 4 constables in the area that want me to win too. As the ONLY female constable in the whole county is retiring to become a DJ; I will end up being needed frequently. Doesn't hurt that I am well liked too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    LEO calling out other LEO.

wow
    Well if the shoe fit's.

Not all Constables may be half assed in thier duties, but the ones that work around me locally are notoriously "ate up". There have been several occasions where shots have been fired for no reason as well as prisoners running off. I can only call them like I see them and around my way I get a little nervous when there is a Constable around. I see some of these dudes at the gunshop and they have no clue what they are talking about as well as thier handling of weapons is also rather scary. I see them cruising around in thier Crown Vic's and apparantley that's all you need to be a Constable, 95% of thier cars or whatever they drive do not even have the proper gear installed for Prisoner Transport. Not to mention that a majority of them are pushing 60 years of age as well as bieng signifigantly overweight.

In my opinion, The whole Constable System in PA needs either a major overhaul or done away with totally. I mean the only requirements are to be elected a Constable or have your Constable appoint you, take the class and there you go. Someone needs to step in and take a good look at the system and all Constables in general and weed out the bad apples, or else we will keep having incidents at the fault of Constables.
    Sector 4

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I saw what was likely a re-broadcast of this on WPXI this morning.
    He goes into more detail about what happened, including being put on the ground in handcuffs along with his sixteen year old daughter. Both face down on the pavement, hands cuffed, guns pointed at them.

Said they again asked if he was the guy they were looking for. Says they never apologized - just got in the cars and left.

That's messed up.
    It kind of sounds like they were looking to rob someone. Don't tell the local police that your serving a warrant, plain clothes, what was it 3 or 4 leos, midnight for child support warrant.

They str8 up charged one of the guys and now are investigating the others, somethings not right.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by agentw0 View Post
    Well if the shoe fit's.

Not all Constables may be half assed in thier duties, but the ones that work around me locally are notoriously "ate up". There have been several occasions where shots have been fired for no reason as well as prisoners running off. I can only call them like I see them and around my way I get a little nervous when there is a Constable around. I see some of these dudes at the gunshop and they have no clue what they are talking about as well as thier handling of weapons is also rather scary. I see them cruising around in thier Crown Vic's and apparantley that's all you need to be a Constable, 95% of thier cars or whatever they drive do not even have the proper gear installed for Prisoner Transport. Not to mention that a majority of them are pushing 60 years of age as well as bieng signifigantly overweight.

In my opinion, The whole Constable System in PA needs either a major overhaul or done away with totally. I mean the only requirements are to be elected a Constable or have your Constable appoint you, take the class and there you go. Someone needs to step in and take a good look at the system and all Constables in general and weed out the bad apples, or else we will keep having incidents at the fault of Constables.
    I'm way more worried about the bad apples in the police department than the constables. There are more of them, they have more power, and the rest of the cops cover for them.
    If we're going to address issues with the state of LE in PA, that's where to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Helter View Post
    I'm way more worried about the bad apples in the police department than the constables. There are more of them, they have more power, and the rest of the cops cover for them.
    If we're going to address issues with the state of LE in PA, that's where to start.
    To me it would make more sense to start small and work up. At least Police Departments have more training and have Policy and Procedure to go by and someone to answer to, if you do get an Officer that you feel your rights have been violated by. Police Officers are actually Police Officers. Constables however are not although a lot of them think that they are, it would seem that a decision should be made by the State to say here are what Constables are for, here is who they answer to, here is thier S.O.P. etc...
    Sector 4

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by agentw0 View Post
    To me it would make more sense to start small and work up. At least Police Departments have more training and have Policy and Procedure to go by and someone to answer to, if you do get an Officer that you feel your rights have been violated by. Police Officers are actually Police Officers. Constables however are not although a lot of them think that they are, it would seem that a decision should be made by the State to say here are what Constables are for, here is who they answer to, here is thier S.O.P. etc...
    Because that works so well for the cops? Clearly that type of thing, someone to answer to, an SOP, etc... doesn't matter, because we see far more abuses by normal police than by constables.
    Bottom line, if a constable kicks in my door I can a) defend myself if I decide to and b) sue the shit out of him if I decide to and have a good chance of a reasonable decision without unreasonable negative consequences.
    If the police kick down my door, I can't defend myself, and I can't sue him or the department with any expectation of victory, unless the situation was absurdly abusive/negligent *and* I have video of the incident. If I do, I can expect to be harassed.
    Given the choice, I'd just plain rather have abusive constables than abusive cops. Until we sort out the problems with the actual police force, I see no reason to try to model constables to be more like the police.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast