Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Range Report Wexford SGL

For chivvalry and nkresho, what time(s) of the day were you both there? I need another one of these 50 degree mornings so i can get there at 9:00 or so.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by kaplanr View Post
    For chivvalry and nkresho, what time(s) of the day were you both there? I need another one of these 50 degree mornings so i can get there at 9:00 or so.
    It was Sunday... I was there around 1:30'ish (maybe closer to 2) and left somewhere around half past 3 I think. I wasn't on a schedule so the times are a bit squishy. They don't open the range until noon (I think) on Sunday...

I saw another thread where the range permits are going to be required as of April 1. I'm hoping it's an April fool's joke... but probably not and I really don't mind at all spending a little money to ensure the ranges stay open and are maintained.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Allegheny County)

If they enforce the permits and all the douchbags out then I may get one and go occasionally when time is pressing and I don't want to drive to PMSC.

(Allegheny County)

I would love to drop a little cash to keep that place going.

I just wonder if it would be enforced anough to make it worthwhile.

Where might one apply for said range permit?

(Allegheny County)

Looks to be the case. Found this: http://www.nrahuntersrights.org/Article.aspx?id=4565

PA: Permit Process Approved for Game Land Ranges
    Published: 2/2/2011

Salient points -
    The new regulation requires all users of State Game Land shooting ranges to possess either a valid Pennsylvania hunting or furtaker license or a Game Commission-issued range permit, which would cost $30 per year for residents and nonresidents. Exceptions to this permit requirement are those 16 years of age and younger properly accompanied by a licensed or permitted person 18 years of age or older, and each licensed hunter or range permit holder could have one guest.

For the first year, all permits will be effective from April 1, 2011, until June 30, 2012. After the first year, each permit issued will be valid from July 1 until June 30.

Permits will be able to be purchased through “The Outdoor Shop” on the agency’s website (www.pgc.state.pa.us). Following the purchase, which will require payment by credit or debit cards, a downloadable permit will be provided and the permit holder may print it on a home computer. The agency also will be able to sell the permits through its Harrisburg headquarters and six Region Offices. However, since the purchase will be processed through “The Outdoor Shop,” only credit cards will be able to be used for payment.

(Butler County)

If they are gonna charge that they better make sure they keep up with the range MUCH better than they do. Last time I was there it was a WRECK! Personally I think this is BS.
    I was anti-Obama when Anti-Obama wasn't cool. *Springfield Armory Bi-Tone XDm-40 3.8*

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    If they enforce the permits and all the douchbags out then I may get one and go occasionally when time is pressing and I don't want to drive to PMSC.
    Amen brother. I don't mind paying some bucks, although I agree that some improvements to the place would be welcome like:

1. Cement/Asphalt Floor (muddy rocks/puddles suck)
    2. More frequently replaced target backings
    Stay frosty....

(Butler County)

I'm pretty sure the purpose of this new fee is to save the ranges from being eliminated not to provide additional improvements to them. Fewer hunters every year yet more people are using the ranges than ever.

To me, it would be nice if they just stayed open and available. I could care less about a little mud puddle and raggedy backstops.

$30 a year to shoot there as much as I want and it's 10 minutes from my house vs. my club which is 45+? Yeah, I'll pay that even if I do have to put up with stupid rules about how many rounds in and be cautious about the occasional nutjob or group of young gang-banger wannabes showing up to "bust a cap".
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Allegheny County)

I can't see saving a few bucks being worth that much.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I can't see saving a few bucks being worth that much.
    Saving a few bucks how? I have no intention of giving up my membership at PMSC... there are WAY too many upsides to having a private club membership vs. the state game lands ranges.

I just think $30 for the year is worth it, to me, to keep the SGL range open and available.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast