Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Grizz, I have a question for you.

I am considering a revolver for hunting next year. Do you know anything about the Dan Wesson line of revolvers? I have begun to research them and they seem to be good revovlers. For now, this pistol will only be for PA whitetail, so I'm leaning towards 357 magnum.

(Allegheny County)

I have a question too. I have a Taurus 627 Tracker .357 with a 4" bbr. Would this be something I could hunt with and what ammo would be best. I don't have a scope for it and would rather not buy one yet if I don't have to since I'm not sure if I'd use this gun again for hunting if I decide to stay that course in the future. Do people hunt without them? My experience with pistol hunting is zero. My son is at the HTE course as i write this and I'm sure this answer is in the books but can you carry a pistol and a rifle? And my last question....maybe....how many rounds can you have in the pistol? My Tracker holds 7. Thanks in advance

I believe 6" and 8" are the standard for hunting revolvers. I'm sure you could get away with hunting with a 4" if you limit your shots to say 30 yards or so...especially if you aren't going to be using a scope on it.

(Union County)

Aubie515

Dan Wesson psitols were well and made and extremely accurate due to the way the barrels were attached to the frames. They sold a version called the pistol pack where you could buy the frame along with several different barrel length and shrouds lengths. This way you could match the barrel length to purpose you were using the revolver for.

The .357 Mag chambering will work for Pa white tails. Not my choice of chambering but will do the job

grizz
    Last edited by GRIZZLYBEAR; September 24th, 2006 at 10:45 AM. Reason: add content

(Union County)

plr16

Your Tranus will also work on Pa white tails. The 4" barrel should not be much of a handicap if you can hit a 6 or 7 inch circle at all distances out to about 50 yards regularly.

Scoping is not a requirement with a hunting pistol--I have some scoped and some that are not, don't feel underguned using either a scoped or unscoped firearm. It is a lot easier and quicker getting a sight picture on a moving deer with open sights.

Yes you carry both a pistol and rifle in Pa and no limit that I know of as to the number of cartridges in Pa; just don't hunt with a semi-auto as these are illegal in Pa.
    If you have a CCW the revolver can be carried under the coat---if no CCW carry the revolver in plan view.

Most people like the 6 inch and up barrel lengths because they are easier to shot accurately with due to the longer sight radius. One the best known handgun hunter ever Elmer Kieth (one of them credited with getting S&W to make the .44MaG) carried a M29 Smith & Wesson with a 4 inch barrel.

grizz
    Last edited by GRIZZLYBEAR; September 24th, 2006 at 10:58 AM. Reason: adding content

I was reading about the pistol pack. Saw some on GB, but I"m not sure I want so many barrels...I know it's a neat concept, but I'm leaning towards just getting a 6" or 8" barrel.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks guys, I'm gonna take it out with me. Hopefully an oppertunity will present itself to use it.

(Allegheny County)

Guys,

I met an ex police chief of a local pd at a party. We started bs'ing about guns and such. He carried a S&W Mod 66 4" for most of his career and also hunted with it.

He said he never had a problem downing a deer with a .357 out to 50 yds.

I usually carry a Ruger Redhawk w 7 1/2" bbl. but last year carried a S&W 66 w/ 4""bbl.

I would not hesitate to shoot out to 50 with it and would probably go about 75 with the .44.

If I scoped the Redhawk, I would probably shoot out to 100.

Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

I am going to put a 2x burris scope on my DW. I feel that 2x is plenty for pistol hunting.

(Adams County)

For Bear, I'd much rather have a .44. Ruger makes a nice .44 cal.