Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default waxxing 22lr ammo

I'm having trouble with super cheap ammo feeding and noticed some ammo has a slimy coating on it. These seem to all feed without trouble. Is there something I can do at home to add a coating that won't hurt anything? I think I've read people use dish soap?

The gun is a taurus tx22 and they almost chamber all the way, just have to tap it a little.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: waxxing 22lr ammo

Is the chamber clean? The wax builds up quickly and affects reliability.

(Bucks County)

All brands of .22lr are lubed. As mentioned clean your chamber and while you are at it the rest of the gun too. If after cleaning you are still having problems feeding it is more likely nose shape or velocity of the cheap ammo.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    All brands of .22lr are lubed. As mentioned clean your chamber and while you are at it the rest of the gun too. If after cleaning you are still having problems feeding it is more likely nose shape or velocity of the cheap ammo.
    Is there a technic you guys use to clean the chamber? I had cleaned it up some but there might be better methods. Rounds like Norma are extremely slippery where as the Remington feel very dry.

(Bucks County)

I avoid using brushes with a .22lr barrel so just use a good bore cleaner and some tight patches. I don't remember fowling a chamber so a round wouldn't feed but you will know immediately when you look down the barrel if there is built up crud in the chamber. When I get feeding problems it is because the gun is filthy. When was the last time it was stripped and cleaned?

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    I avoid using brushes with a .22lr barrel so just use a good bore cleaner and some tight patches. I don't remember fowling a chamber so a round wouldn't feed but you will know immediately when you look down the barrel if there is built up crud in the chamber. When I get feeding problems it is because the gun is filthy. When was the last time it was stripped and cleaned?
    I mean, I cleaned it with solvent and q tips last night and lubed it. It feeds, just doesn't always go all the way closed, maybe an 1/4 to 1/8 inch left to go. However, if I switch to armscor which is noticeably more greasy, it feeds just fine. The norma again is down right slick and it feeds great. It isn't every round. I'll clean it again and see.

(Delaware County)

I use a nylon 6 or 6.5mm brush to clean rimfire chambers. My 617 will get hard to chamber quickly using anything except copper washed ammo.

(Lackawanna County)

Some semi-auto .22s just don't like cheap ammo. My Taurus PT22 will jam every mag with cheap ammo but runs just fine with more expensive stuff.

If you are using very low powered .22 rounds, they may not be sending the slide rearward enough for the slide to have enough ass to load the next round. Try some CCI Stingers or the like and I bet you no longer have any issues.

(Cumberland County)

Update. It looks like it was the chamber. It took me a minute to see it but there was a very fine ridge built up, looks like right where the case ends. I was able to get it cleared out and now the shells slide right in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast