Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Post AR15 pistol with brace CCW

All,

I have read a lot of conflicting answers online to this question. I recently bought a sig rattler lt (ar15 pistol) with a brace on it, i have my CCW permit, is it legal to carry concealed in vehicle loaded, in pa? Will post link to exact firearm below.

https://www.recoilgunworks.com/mcx-r...-brace-pistol/

(York County)

Default Re: AR15 pistol with brace CCW

So, welcome to PAFOA.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, but the firearm shown is your link
    would be considered a pistol under Pennsylvania law. As such it is legal to carry
    in any manner that a pistol/revolver can be carried. Loaded and in your vehicle,
    concealed or open.
    You would also be legal to carry concealed or open, on foot.

EDIT TO ADD: When you say you have "my CCW" are you saying you have a
    Pennsylvania LTCF (License To Carry Firearms)?
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Yes, I mean LTCF. Thanks for the warm welcome. Glad to be apart of this forum!

I'll second #2. It's legal and I know a great deal of people who were upset at the brace ban, because it would mean no legally loaded braced ar pistol in their truck/van when they drive for a living.

Now that ruling has been tossed, braces are legal again, ar pistols are not sbr's, so it's good.

That being said, if you choose to go this route, i would keep apprized of 2a happenings in the pistol brace/sbr realm, both in pa and nationally. If you're not familiar with what just happened in the past 2 years regarding the braces, I'd start reading and get familiar.
    iAnal

(Delaware County)

I was interested in the gun until I saw the price. Welcome.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Montgomery County)

Yes

It falls under the Pennsylvania definition of 'firearm'. Trying to paste the definition but the legis.state.pa site isn't loading.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Yes

It falls under the Pennsylvania definition of 'firearm'. Trying to paste the definition but the legis.state.pa site isn't loading.
    https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...tn=2&subsctn=0

"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

Incomplete url. Try this one: legis.state.pa.us

While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Jefferson County)

Here is how PA's law works.

1. PA prohibits the carry of "firearms" concealed on or abouts ones person, and in a vehicle.
    2. PA then exempts the carrying concealed on or abouts ones person, or in a vehicle, of "firearms" if licensed, or if going to/from certain locations for certain reasons under certain conditions. One of which is if you have a License To Carry Firearms.

So, you must first assess whether the gun in question is a "firearm", which is defined under 18>61>6102(which happens to be posted in this thread).

If the gun is a "firearm" then you must have a LTCF or fall under exemption.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!