Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: 504 Gateway Timeout

Not getting the 504 as much as just annoying lag in response times every time I'm on here.

Quote Originally Posted by lager1829 View Post
    Not getting the 504 as much as just annoying lag in response times every time I'm on here.
    Glad i read this. We not sure if it was my device, connection or what.

(Chester County)

Apparently, 502/504 errors and constant lag times are the new normal on the forum.

Any thoughts on how to report (complain) to the wizard behind the curtain?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Apparently, 502/504 errors and constant lag times are the new normal on the forum.

Any thoughts on how to report (complain) to the wizard behind the curtain?
    The wizard knows.

The issue is that the wizard lacks either the money, time or inclination for remediation.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    The wizard knows.

The issue is that the wizard lacks either the money, time or inclination for remediation.
    Thanks for the intel.

Others on the forum need to kick in $.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the intel.

Others on the forum need to kick in $.
    My understanding is that this whole thing is running on local hardware.

What would be interesting to know is, what would it take to move it to a cloud environment and what that monthly cost would be. The advantage of course is the ability to "spin up" resources on an as-needed basis. For example, you could bring online additional virtual servers and/or compute power during busy times of the day, and spin them back down in off-hours.

To be clear, it would be a major effort. More than a "a few men show" like Dan & company is likely to be able to pull off, given they have day jobs and all. It's the kinda thing that requires a consulting company to design and implement, I think, given the size and scale of PAFOA's user base and database. I'm not even sure that software like vBulletin is compatible with a modern virtual-server environment with dynamic resource allocation. I do know that they're up to version 6, and this site runs on version 4. That's a serious lag. Version 4 was released in 2009 is end of life. No more development! I think it has been EOL since 2011.

Looking at their site, I see this, "Use vBulletin Cloud and we'll handle your hosting, site maintenance and upgrades for you". I think that's the way to go. Given that they offered a hosted environment, the current version probably DOES run in a modern virtual-server environment with dynamic resource allocation - AND the vendor could do the conversion from the existing environment (for a fee, of course).

I have no doubt Dan and company know all about this, and have simply not done it for whatever reasons they have.

Needs more cowbell.
    FJB

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Needs more cowbell.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    My understanding is that this whole thing is running on local hardware.

What would be interesting to know is, what would it take to move it to a cloud environment and what that monthly cost would be. The advantage of course is the ability to "spin up" resources on an as-needed basis. For example, you could bring online additional virtual servers and/or compute power during busy times of the day, and spin them back down in off-hours.

To be clear, it would be a major effort. More than a "a few men show" like Dan & company is likely to be able to pull off, given they have day jobs and all. It's the kinda thing that requires a consulting company to design and implement, I think, given the size and scale of PAFOA's user base and database. I'm not even sure that software like vBulletin is compatible with a modern virtual-server environment with dynamic resource allocation. I do know that they're up to version 6, and this site runs on version 4. That's a serious lag. Version 4 was released in 2009 is end of life. No more development! I think it has been EOL since 2011.

Looking at their site, I see this, "Use vBulletin Cloud and we'll handle your hosting, site maintenance and upgrades for you". I think that's the way to go. Given that they offered a hosted environment, the current version probably DOES run in a modern virtual-server environment with dynamic resource allocation - AND the vendor could do the conversion from the existing environment (for a fee, of course).

I have no doubt Dan and company know all about this, and have simply not done it for whatever reasons they have.
    Perhaps they don't know and would benefit from your IT expertise (being serious).

There needs to be a plan toward improvement, because the status quo is unsustainable.

(Allegheny County)

Perhaps they don't know and would benefit from your IT expertise (being serious).

There needs to be a plan toward improvement, because the status quo is unsustainable.
    In the interest of full disclosure, any IT expertise I had has long since gone stale. I'm no cloud "engineer", not by a long shot. These days, I do project management type stuff, not actual nuts and bolts work. That stuff is done by people with real know-how. If I were asked,I'd be happy to participate on a project team to the extent that I could, but a project like this would need real people.

But you're right. A site like this needs a plan. If this were a commercial enterprise, the software would almost certainly not have been allowed to get so far out of date. But there would also be real money behind a solution too. From a technology standpoint, it seems like a train wreck waiting to happen. If a catastrophic failure were to occur, would the site recover? Good chance it wouldn't, but I'm guessing. I'm not in a position to know.

But just to give you an idea....I'm currently a PM on a legacy software replacement project. We are replacing a 30 year old home grown thing with a commercial project. Implementation is the better part of 3 years. The replacement software, hosted in the cloud, is on the order of $400K/year. Fundamentally, it's not THAT much more sophisticated than what you see on this site. We have about 300 users. The difference is that it HAS to work. If this site doesn't work, the consequences, honestly speaking, are really insignificant. We will all have to find a new site to bitch about things on (;

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast