Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: Private party, interstate sales of percussion revolvers?

Quote Originally Posted by 60clock View Post
    No I didn*t miss your point. A percussion revolver under a certain overall length is a *firearm* in PA (think carry laws, prohibited persons, etc). However, for a PA resident simply buying one in PA, they are considered *antique firearms*, and therefore they can be purchased as long as the purchaser is over 21 and not considered prohibited, etc.

I understand that PA residents (and likely residents of many other states) can purchase percussion/flintlock/BP arms online from the well known sellers (what I assume are FFL dealers) in other states (say Virginia or Tennessee) and have them sent into PA.

My specific question is a private party in one state selling a percussion revolver to a PA resident when neither party is an FFL. No one seems to be able to answer that question.

Further, I*ve heard some people say *well, the private seller from the other state could ship it to an FFL in PA.* Well, it*s a percussion revolver, so what is the PA FFL supposed to do then? Can they even legally process 4473 an *antique firearm* not regulated by Federal laws (regarding sales) like a modern Glock? I don*t see how that*s possible, and that*s another question I*d like answered.
    FFL's aren't supposed to use 4473's for "antique firearms". THEY ARE NOT FIREARMS.

Cap & Ball revolvers are NOT legally "firearms" - with exception of a limited shithole states, they can be bought/sold/traded without any paperwork, regulations, or anything. PA and TX are two of the good states. A person in TX can sell to and ship directly to a PA resident without any paperwork. Now, finding a common carrier to ship it that knows gun laws is another story.

You have to deprogram your brain to understand that "antique firearms" aren't legally "firearms". By the dictionary, yes they are. By the law, they are NOT.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Ok I’m not trying to be argumentative - but I don’t see how a 10” smoothbore shotgun could be legal in PA. I get how the revolvers that take shotshells can be sold as handguns because they have rifled barrels, but that thing you linked to is a short barreled shotgun. It’s not a replica of an antique gun. Regardless of ignition method, I would seriously stay away from something like that. I’m talking about 19th century Remington and Colt replica revolvers with cap and ball cylinders only.
    Its not a firearm, rifled barrels and barrel length mean nothing on muzzle loaders. You are making it more complicated than it needs to be. Posession by a felon it a whole different set of laws.

(Bradford County)

Well, let’s look at two examples: a private party in Texas selling to a private party in PA, and a Private party in Arkansas selling to a private party in PA.
    Both perfectly legal. Again, I ship blackpowder arms all over the country, and people ship them to me. No ffl needed.

Where you're most likely to run into a hassle is with UPS or FedEx unless you print your own label online. UPS in particular (management level) is virulenty anti-firearm and even though these are not legally firearms they will give you a hard time at a service desk or on the phone. US Postal has typically been much easier (at least imho) to deal with although for long barrel packages (40-50" barrels) they are more expensive.

As noted above - don't overcomplicate this. Your entire scenario is entirely legal.
    Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12