Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: To intervene or to Not intervene, that is the question...

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I see it as 2 choices. You can choose to fear pain, death, and litigation like the critic or you can take what you deem as appropriate action.

(Bucks County)

A famous quote from a 19th century progressive. Old Teddy was a lot of things but not real big on individual rights.
    Walk softly and carry a big stick. But if you*re sticking your nose where it doesn*t belong, don*t complain when you*re azz gets thrown a beating, dog gets shot, family members get jacked up, etc, etc.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    *It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.*
    * Theodore Roosevelt

I see it as 2 choices. You can choose to fear pain, death, and litigation like the critic or you can take what you deem as appropriate action.
    From your OP I'd say you fucked around and were lucky enough to not find out. Trying to break up a fight with 8 to 9 drunk likely illegals is one of the dumbest decisions you could make.

Gun > Dog

There are countless examples of group fights breaking out and people eventually pulling guns and shooting. The only decision is to leave the area and if your worried about it call the police. If other people are around dumb enough to not get out of the area they deserve what comes next.

What would you have done if one called your bluff and said go ahead and let him go? Your left with a dick in hand moment with a dog that won't do shit and staring at 8-9 pissed off drunks already fighting. Good luck claiming self defense if you have to pull your gun when you opted to inject yourself into the situation.

I guess that raises an interesting question through regarding the threat of a dog. Say your walking down the road minding your business and someone starts getting irate with you and threatens to have their dog attack you. I wonder at what point you could legally pull your gun?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by widgetman101 View Post
    I guess that raises an interesting question through regarding the threat of a dog. Say your walking down the road minding your business and someone starts getting irate with you and threatens to have their dog attack you. I wonder at what point you could legally pull your gun?
    Under 3 Pa.C.S. § 459-501, a person may kill any dog that is:

• pursuing, wounding or killing any domestic animal
    • wounding or killing other dogs, cats or household pets; or
    • pursuing, wounding or attacking a human being.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by widgetman101 View Post
    I had this happen to me when I was 17 and still lived in the DPRNJ. Me and a bunch of friends were riding our bicycles through a parking lot, and one of us hit an upright beer bottle and it fell over. This cocky Noo Yawka with two Rottweilers started screaming at us. Said we were "breaking bottles in the parking lot" and he was tired of it, and how about he let his dogs go.

I told him go ahead and see what happens. That I wasn't scared of dogs, and I'd beat them to death with my bike. Also, that I was tired of Noo Yawk Jews overrunning our town, and acting like they owned the place. He didn't do shit.

I pedaled my ass home like it was the final stretch of the Tour De France and got in my '72 Cutlass. I flew back because I was going to run him and his dogs over.

Probably a good thing he was just going in his front door as I pulled into his cul de sac. I sat in front of his driveway and powerbraked until there was a giant rubber smoke cloud. Then I let off the brake, did a donut, and left while cursing his ignorant POS ass out.

Cocky Noo Yawkas have always been my trigger. I can't stand those MFers.

In retrospect, probably not the smartest thing I ever did.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Allegheny County)

*It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.*
    * Theodore Roosevelt

Yeah. And put others at risk while you're at it.

(Allegheny County)

I had a lady threaten to turn her German Sheppard on me. I told her "go ahead, so I can shoot it and you can watch it die". She shut right the fuck up about turning her dog loose.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Under 3 Pa.C.S. § 459-501, a person may kill any dog that is:

• pursuing, wounding or killing any domestic animal
    • wounding or killing other dogs, cats or household pets; or
    • pursuing, wounding or attacking a human being.
    For real? Merely chasing a human or domestic animal is an allowable defense to kill? Hmmmm thanks. I just learned something new. casetext.com

Doubtful that most dog owners in PA are aware of this.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin60 View Post
    For real? Merely chasing a human or domestic animal is an allowable defense to kill? Hmmmm thanks. I just learned something new. casetext.com

Doubtful that most dog owners in PA are aware of this.
    Anybody who has spent any amount of time training should know of the law that's been around for years.
    My instincts have served me well and I will continue to act accordingly despite what our micro-analyzing keyboard warrior thinks.

(Chester County)

Anybody who has spent any amount of time training should know of the law that's been around for years.
    My instincts have served me well and I will continue to act accordingly despite what our micro-analyzing keyboard warrior thinks.
    Big dog lover here... we've had rescues in our house for 25 years. So don't worry, I won't shoot your dog if he comes after me. Although, all bets are off if he attacks my dogs.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast