Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Considering a 1911

There is a version called CCO (concealed carry officer's) pistol which is the shorter barrel of the Commander and a grip frame shortened by one round of capacity.

But, many, many 1911 afficionados feel the Commander length barrel (4-1/4") with the full size frame, especially in steel, is the best pointing, best balanced, best feeling version of the design. Some feel the original 5" is the only "classic" version, but having been introduced in the 1950s, I think, the Commander is considered pretty classic by most, as well. The original Commander, by Colt, had an aluminum frame and was chambered in 9mm, believe it or not. The .45 has always been more popular, but the Original in 9mm is undergoing a resurgence right now.

I mentioned the Springfield Ronin as a look I really like. They also make Commaner (4-1/4" barrel, full-sized frame) with an aluminum alloy frame model.
    https://www.springfield-armory.com/1...5-acp-handgun/

Ronin.jpg

(Centre County)

I really don't think you could go wrong with any model from any of the major manufacturers, domestic OR foreign, they all have the same basic design, internal parts, etc. as the original Browning 1911. The only differences are going to be the frame, slide and barrel material and the fit and finish. Me, if I were giving one to someone would go with the basic 5" barrel model, with upgraded iron sights and a beavertail grip safety. Again, how long has the basic model been around and served people all over the world well?
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Every poster will suggest something different, because that is what THEY have and they think it's the best.

Btw... Springfield Armory, Range Officer.
    They are getting hard to find as they are discontinued...

(Bucks County)

A Springfield Armory is a great gun to get and will run even better with some ignition parts and a trigger job.... The Milspec version is a good learning tool as well.

If you want out of the box quality and accuracy at a decent price..Dan Wesson can't be beat

(Montgomery County)

Is $2000 the total budget or just the pistol budget? You gonna get a lot of good recommendations here. Can't really go wrong with any of the big names. Dan Wesson, Ruger, Springfield, Smith& Wesson, Rock Island, Colt, Sig, Kimber, all make nice 1911s. There is a company called Stealth Arms that allows you to customize your pistol from the factory and they have been getting a lot of good reviews. I have some from Colt, Smith & Wesson, Dan Wesson, STI, RIA, Kimber, Sig, and ATI. The one with the nicest trigger and my favorite to shoot is my S&W Performance Center. I would suggest going to a gun show and looking around there.
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

(Bucks County)

I would make it the pistol budget and get two $1000 1911s. One for me and one for my kid......

(Montgomery County)

Used Wilson Combat ACP or higher model if you can find one in budget. Sign up over at 1911Addicts to get one second hand. You need 50 posts but there's an ACP for $1800 shipped... That's what you need. Or wait for something to get posted since you have time being the recipient is a child.

Better used semi-custom than buying new production, the platform is just too finicky for low budget builds and risk of issues... Owned many 1911s and it's worth it to buy one cry once and get one that you can be nearly sure will work right away

Extractor dimensions, slide to frame fit, bushing fit, beavertail fit, trigger break, trigger bow fit, magazine release fit and feel, barrel lockup fit - all these things are tough to get right, semi customs cost what they cost for a reason - labor is expensive, and a 1911 build needs labor.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234