Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Oaks Gun Show leads to numerous trafficking arrests

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Via rigged voting machines?

Suuuuure, that's gonna work.
    Or via self defense can't release a dead criminal.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    It's a damn good start! Kudos to those responsible for the arrests and prosecutions.

I do, however, have one question that occured to me after reading the article: How did they determine and document what constituted "exhibiting suspicious behavior"?

Was LEO monitoring the show via video cameras throughout the convention center and recording?

Perhaps I am the Pollyanna that I'm occasionally accused of being BUT, I wouldn't have expected that the show would have been under video monitoring.
    As others have said, that show is under constant surveillance by undercover LE, the press, anti-gun activists, and political operatives. Some are probasbly wearing cameras, but I';d bet that most of the video surveillance is by dealers at their own tables. A couple of years ago, I was talking to a dealer when a guy who clearly looked out of place came up and started asking stupid questions about the dealer's products. The dealer told him that his products were only for sale to people who understand how to legally use them and "have a nice day". I laughed, and the dealer showed me his cell phone with a picture of the guy that had been circulated between some of the dealers saying he was either a cop or a stupid politician. I think the guy was too stupid and looked too out of place to be a cop.

Most dealers can spot a straw purchase and refuse to make the sale. The purchasers just move on to another dealer or get nervous and leave. There are no doubt some who figure out what the red flags are and successfully make purchases

A local gun store calls the state police every time it happens, and claims that nothing is ever done. I've seen him refuse a sale to unsuspicious looking (to me) caucasians because something didn't look right.

A dealer in SC that was near my house was put through hell because of a Bloomburg sting operation. Look up Larry Mikalis.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Chester County)

I don't think it is any secret that there are undercover LE task forces working that show regularly to look for illegal activities. It's amazing to me that despite all of the undercover LE present, some bad guys still attempt to pull off straw purchases. I have to believe the LE presence has dramatically reduced the occurrences of the shady stuff to just a handful. The ball is now in the DA's court as to whether those that get caught get jail time or a slap on the wrist. Incidentally, face tattoos would always be a disqualifier in my world!

(Allegheny County)

On that note, I find the use of the word "numerous" in the thread title to be an exaggeration.

A "handful" perhaps, but that group of losers hardly adds up to "numerous".
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sbmania View Post
    I don't think it is any secret that there are undercover LE task forces working that show regularly to look for illegal activities. It's amazing to me that despite all of the undercover LE present, some bad guys still attempt to pull off straw purchases. I have to believe the LE presence has dramatically reduced the occurrences of the shady stuff to just a handful. The ball is now in the DA's court as to whether those that get caught get jail time or a slap on the wrist. Incidentally, face tattoos would always be a disqualifier in my world!
    Thugs usually aren't the smartest in the bunch.
    FJB

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by sbmania View Post
    They're used to not being punished for their actions.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567