Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Moving to Florida

Lived in Port Charlotte 1999 2003,Schools were awesome, Deputys were also professional except for the one who shot a woman in the foot by accident ? Did not open carry except for Cecil Webb wildlife refuge, carried mostly a S&W model 60 5 shot as heat became oppressive. Still go when cooler to get fishing down in Boca Grande. From April thru November not a place to be unless you really like the heat.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Kind of the reverse of PA, no license for open carry, but required for concealed. Weird.

I assume all of those prohibited places are regardless of concealed/permitless or open/permitted. I would have thought better of Florida's gun laws.
    FL is not as pro-gun as some people like to believe. While there are some friendlier areas of FL for guns, urban areas are not and the sentiment is also held by the local politicians and police. Think FL as PA, but with a lot more Philadelphias.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

810.08 Trespass in structure or conveyance.— You can read it for yourself at
    http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...s/0810.08.html

You can see all the trespass laws in the FL Statutes at
    http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...EChapter%20810
    Gary Slider Handgunlaw.us Member Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    FL is not as pro-gun as some people like to believe. While there are some friendlier areas of FL for guns, urban areas are not and the sentiment is also held by the local politicians and police. Think FL as PA, but with a lot more Philadelphias.
    I'll admit that was me.

Been a while since i first got my FL permit, but IIRC, there were a lot of ways to satisfy the training requirements. Don't hold me to this, but I want to say things like hunter's safety course in any state, or classes like NRA basic pistol. So chances are good you've already received the training you need, so long as you still have the certificates.

When I applied, I did not have any certificates from prior training, so I found an NRA Basic Pistol course just over the border into PA. I think I used the same course for my AZ permit as well, so two birds with one stone.

At least when I applied, new permits were $117 and good for 7 years. Renewals were less - I want to say around $60. Very possible that price has changed.

(Chester County)

Although Fl honors Pa ltcf I would assume I would have to get Fl license once I change my address to Fl.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Knightshift View Post
    Although Fl honors Pa ltcf I would assume I would have to get Fl license once I change my address to Fl.
    Once you change your address to Florida they will let you run on your LTCF for a grace period while you apply for your Florida CCW. I now live in Florida and ran on this grace period until my permit was approved. You can apply in person at any "Tax Collector" building in your county of residence, but you will need an appt with the Dept of Ag.
    A Tax collector building is just what they call a government services building & the Dept of Ag issues CCWs, I have NO IDEA WHY.

The CCW is not just for guns but any manner of weapon so long as the weapon is legal to own in Florida. My CCW took about 2 months to get, 3 years ago.
    For my training req I used a 25 year old NRA basic class that I still had the certificate for, they don't seem too picky.

https://www.fdacs.gov/Consumer-Resou...Weapon-License

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/re...c-cf4acf8fba54

Florida will require you to get a Concealed Carry Weapon license. If you already had a CCW license in the state you previously lived in, there are 36 states with which Florida has reciprocity. But, there's a catch. Your permit will only be valid for 90 days after establishing residence.
    Jimmy cracked corn and HE didn't care! Why should I?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

My observations since moving to Florida 3 years ago.
    You are correct, PA is actually better.
    Florida bans things like, Dragons breath, Binary triggers, bump stocks and a few other things.

They also have a 3 day wait period unless you have a CCW.
    In PA you can take your gun more places with your LTCF than you can in Florida with you CCW.

Also don't expect bargain prices on stuff down here unless it's Rural King.
    Last edited by dunno; May 7th, 2024 at 07:24 PM.

(Chester County)

We went to Guantanamo Bay (Gitmo) cruises every summer four years in a row for training. Went to Mayport FL and liberty at JAX Beach for stop overs along with Port Au Prince Haiti, St Croix and Bermuda. We worked in a steam turbine propulsion engine room with no A/C and on some days we could only be down the hole for no more than four hours when the temperature was over 105 degrees. We had large blowers blowing air down air trunks but the air was 100+ degrees. I was able to do that when I was in my twenties but not today.

Anyway, I thought Florida had strict laws on printing while concealed carrying and now why would you get a permit if there is DeSantis Constitutional carry?
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Chester County)

You can print with no issue, it can even flash as you open your coat with no issue.

You get your permit for reciprocity and to avoid the bullshit 3 day wait period to buy a new gun.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123