Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
    (York County)

Default Re: What did you build yourself

I know this was posted awhile ago but I just saw it, That's nice - I haven't built any 1911s in awhile and with some issues I'm dealing with I probably never will but seeing this makes me want to put another one together.

Quote Originally Posted by guncollector View Post
    I built this 40 cal 2011 using a Para 16-40 lower with custom G10 grips, Caspian slide, Jarvis barrel, Dawson fiber optic sight & other custom upper parts. Cheaper than a Staccato and shoots like a dream. This has become one of my most favorite all-time guns to shoot. It's almost like an extension of my body!!!
    Attachment 163117
    Every day's a Saturday

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by edritchey View Post
    I know this was posted awhile ago but I just saw it, That's nice - I haven't built any 1911s in awhile and with some issues I'm dealing with I probably never will but seeing this makes me want to put another one together.
    Do it. How could you possibly regret it?

(York County)

You talked me into it I'll post pictures when it's completed this will be my last one

Every day's a Saturday

(York County)

Well I had one partially completed from awhile ago so your post was the motivation I needed to complete it.

This will be my last build my eyesight and arthritis has taken it's toll on my building anything in the future but I'm glad I did finish this one.

This is a basic M1911A1 build with the exception of the 3 white dot sights I used and of course the custom grips with my old logo on them. It shoots great and probably will go to one of my grandkids someday after I'm gone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Every day's a Saturday

(Washington County)

Not built yet, but I have two cool belt fed semi auto projects in process.

Recently there has been a large import of Portugese HK21 parts kits. I picked up a kit and got to work on it immediately because this is a relatively simple build and a very cool addition to my HK collection. In the past anything HK and belt fed (including parts kits) were too expensive for me. They are much more accessible at the current price for these kits. I cleaned up the parts, bent a flat, and modified it for the belt feed box. Now I wait for a new US made barrel. That should arrive around the end of this month. So far, it's been fairly easy work, but once I start welding things I expect keeping everything aligned will be challenging.

I've had this 1945 dated M1910 Russian "snow cap" Maxim kit around awhile and decided it was time to build it. A new semi auto right side plate and all the semi auto conversion parts came from Midwest Metals. The machining and welding for the semi auto conversion took me several days. The modifications are extensive. Luckily the instructions provided with the parts from Midwest Metals were detailed enough I only had to call him with one question. I've been slowly working on riveting things together. There is a lot of measuring and hand fitting of parts. I might have it ready for test fire next week but I probably have two more weeks of tinkering and finishing it. I have a Sokolov cart to mount it on.

In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Lebanon County)

That's the difference between assembling parts and building a firearm.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Washington County)

I'll cheer on anyone working on guns, building or assembling. There is always someone with better skills. I'm a hack compared to some of the guys I follow.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Not so much building, more re-assembly. Back from our resident cerakoter (thanks HK). 9” black on odg 22lr pistol. Needs m1913 folder done with black arm and odg brace.

Also playing legos with the ar15/ar10 and color schemes. Think i still need some odg cerakote done

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    I'll cheer on anyone working on guns, building or assembling. There is always someone with better skills. I'm a hack compared to some of the guys I follow.
    Are you allowed to build one for somebody legally?
    FJB

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Are you allowed to build one for somebody legally?
    Edit: I'm going to add more info here because my first post was too simple. I am not a lawyer.

If you are "manufacturing" a firearm for someone then you better have an FFL. If you are engaged in the business of gunsmithing you need an FFL.

If you buddy comes over and you help him assemble an AR, and he isn't paying you, there is no crime there. He obtained the lower and already possess the firearm.

If your buddy drops off a torch cut part kit and you weld it together for him then that is not allowed.

If all your buddies are dropping off AR lowers and you're assembling all their guns and charging them money, then you are engaged in gunsmithing business.

The ATF cracked down on build parties where a bunch of people would get together and manufacture guns for themselves using one person's tools.

So there is a lot of nuance to this.

More info here:

https://www.huyett.com/blog/gunsmiths-gun-manufacturers

And reading the ATF definition of firearm manufacturing and gunsmithing may be helpful.

I keep my situation simple. I just work on my crap. Nothing but a money pit!
    Last edited by JoshIronshaft; September 24th, 2024 at 04:43 PM.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920