Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Why do you think PA resists allowing semi auto rifles for deer hunting?

The Fudd thing is intriguing. Hunters divided among themselves - as if we don't have enough people on our collective backs.

Neither the PA Game Commission nor the Commonwealth has ever solicited my opinion regarding what should and should not be used for deer hunting. Could it be at open Q&A sessions where Fudds have their voice?

I would have figured the no AR thing to be more political in terms of the liberals not being willing to justify any reason, not that we need reasons, for a private individual to own a "weapon of war"....

Thanks for all of the replies...

(Berks County)

Default Re: Why do you think PA resists allowing semi auto rifles for deer hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    The Fudd thing is intriguing. Hunters divided among themselves - as if we don't have enough people on our collective backs.

Neither the PA Game Commission nor the Commonwealth has ever solicited my opinion regarding what should and should not be used for deer hunting. Could it be at open Q&A sessions where Fudds have their voice?

I would have figured the no AR thing to be more political in terms of the liberals not being willing to justify any reason, not that we need reasons, for a private individual to own a "weapon of war"....

Thanks for all of the replies...
    the game commission did a survey a couple of years ago where they sent out 4000 surveys and got back over 2000. 52% strongly opposed semi-auto big game hunting. so they polled less then 1 % of resident adult license holders.
    https://blog.princelaw.com/2017/03/3...roved-animals/

(Bucks County)

The *fudd thing* boils down to the stereotype reputation of Pa. In general. The stereotype is: *that*s the way we*ve always done it, don*t see any reason to change*.

Couple that with *Muh traditions!*. The tradition being sitting in your stand pulling a cork and getting drunk as a flea in a gin bottle then shooting at sounds or maybe a faintly deer shaped brownish blur.

The hunting ranks are getting thin because hunting isn*t a valued recreation to the utes of today. More than a few hunters I*ve encountered seem to have an attitude about introducing new hunters to the fold.

The attitude seems to be: If I bring a new hunter to the game, he might end up shooting one of MY deer, and of course we can*t have that.

Pa has quite a few stubborn azzhole habits. For instance, swing their cars wide to the left when making a right turn or not entering the intersection when turning left at traffic signal controlled intersection or the favorite; clogging up the inside lane at below the posted speed limit. The list is pretty long.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    The *fudd thing* boils down to the stereotype reputation of Pa. In general. The stereotype is: *that*s the way we*ve always done it, don*t see any reason to change*.

Couple that with *Muh traditions!*. The tradition being sitting in your stand pulling a cork and getting drunk as a flea in a gin bottle then shooting at sounds or maybe a faintly deer shaped brownish blur.

The hunting ranks are getting thin because hunting isn*t a valued recreation to the utes of today. More than a few hunters I*ve encountered seem to have an attitude about introducing new hunters to the fold.

The attitude seems to be: If I bring a new hunter to the game, he might end up shooting one of MY deer, and of course we can*t have that.

Pa has quite a few stubborn azzhole habits. For instance, swing their cars wide to the left when making a right turn or not entering the intersection when turning left at traffic signal controlled intersection or the favorite; clogging up the inside lane at below the posted speed limit. The list is pretty long.
    That used to be a big issue in industrial settings as well. Tradespeople were real surly and didn't want to help new guys learn anything. I guess that came from many years of 'hazing' and it was a rite of passage. If you really wanted to learn, you would eat s*** sandwiches and hang around long enough to last and learn.

It seems the same thing with many Fudd type hunters (not stereotyping all hunters). It's like there's some kind of requirement that you have to be interested enough to wade through all their BS. You have to be interested enough to buy a high end bolt gun. The look down on anyone with a cheap rifle. And I think I agree with your statement about them 'fearing less game for me.'

Like fishing on the lower Susquehanna where it is no harvest bass waters. Lots of these older guys are there frequently, catching a lot of fish, and will stay in that hot spot for like 6 hours straight. I'm no pro, but I like to give others a chance, and even offer bait and sometimes cheaper lures to what are obviously newer fishermen.

Where the hell are you guys hunting that you know older guys who are unwilling to help new hunters? This is completely contradictory to what I have experience throughout my entire thirty year hunting career in the west and north central PA.

(Lawrence County)

Did someone say Fudds yet? Because that is certainly the answer. Same reason nearly everyone else has Sunday hunting, semiautos. When compound bows came out, they complained. Crossbows legal? Complained again. Opening day moved to Saturday? Nearly had a heart attack. Its usually the same type of hunters too. Same deer stand since 1973, 50 yards off the road, never scouted a day in their life, no care about habitat, forest management, or food plots. All about "tradition".

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Where the hell are you guys hunting that you know older guys who are unwilling to help new hunters? This is completely contradictory to what I have experience throughout my entire thirty year hunting career in the west and north central PA.
    All over, it depends on what you're hunting. The same people that are fine with pairing up on a squirrel hunt will usually drive in circles for an hour to the deer stand hoping they didn't get tailed on the way there lol

-Chaz

Quote Originally Posted by Chazman321 View Post
    All over, it depends on what you're hunting. The same people that are fine with pairing up on a squirrel hunt will usually drive in circles for an hour to the deer stand hoping they didn't get tailed on the way there lol

-Chaz
    You are delusional...How can someone (a Fudd) walk circles to a stand that is 50 yards off the road since 1973? There would clearly be a beaten trail right to it...

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    You are delusional...How can someone (a Fudd) walk circles to a stand that is 50 yards off the road since 1973? There would clearly be a beaten trail right to it...
    I think he means they drive around in theirs car to be sure no one is following them to their parking spot, to keep their secret spot a secret. That spot you mentioned. On state game lands. Public land. The spot the 'own,' where no one else can hunt. And anyone that 'invades' there will certainly get a tail chewin'.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    I think he means they drive around in theirs car to be sure no one is following them to their parking spot, to keep their secret spot a secret. That spot you mentioned. On state game lands. Public land. The spot the 'own,' where no one else can hunt. And anyone that 'invades' there will certainly get a tail chewin'.
    Exactly.

-Chaz

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast