Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Default Re: Gun Shows....how I do miss thee

Centre Hall is a nice one.
    Nice people down there
    Rain makes it a little pain to eat but parking is great.

(Elk County)

Center Hall would be two weeks from this weekend. Next weekend is Easter.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Erie County)

Sorry guys. Miss the shows, but not the smelly fatties.

Quote Originally Posted by 57springer View Post
    I will miss some , like the Centre Hall show . It would be next weekend I think . I also used to attend lots of Firearms estate auctions , who knows when they will happen
    Me too. One of my favorite things was to go to local sportsman's/military/hunting/firearms auctions. Definitely missing them.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    You can appreciate this. I regularly look forward to the show in Roulette, and for years it was my favorite because one could always find something needed, or at a good deal, etc. The past couple years, it has been the same show, different date, with the exception of a few of the older long-time vendors are no longer setting up, and there are a few of the same class of vendor who probably should be hanging it up, CV or not.

The past three shows have been so much "same show" that after entering at 0800, by 0900 I'm wondering why I made the 1:15 trip, and by 0930 I'm buying a cup of coffee at the Sheetz in Port A before heading back down 155 to Emporium. For example, the gunsmith guy in the truck garage, side wall toward the small muddy/grass "parking area" who has a variety of parts and some $$$$ custom guns also has had several Mauser actions tagged at $495 FOR YEARS. 12-15+ years. Not selling. Why even bring them? Hope springs eternal. Probably a religious lottery ticket buyer.

Noah
    He’s getting away from the old ball and chain.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ItchyTick View Post
    Sorry guys. Miss the shows, but not the smelly fatties.
    Bed sores fungus and feces oh my.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(McKean County)

An idea would be to keep this thread open as things ease, and we actually find a show that is a go. Myself I’m eager to get a few tables at the next available show and sell some of my wares.

(Washington County)

Love going to gun shows, I'll browse around for hours and always end up meeting someone I haven't seen for a while. Shout-out to "Mayor Bob" near Pittsburgh, got my 50 Beowulf MG from him, and only ever get to talk to him at gun shows.

Now I also miss the FOAC Gunbash in Washington, PA, 1,000+ people eating, drinking, and winning guns for 5+ hours.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(York County)

I miss the shows. My business is set up to do primarily shows as I have little foot traffic in my shop. im a small time guy so shows are my main source of income. But I will say its probably a nice break from all aspects of shows. from the bitching and pissing and moaning of "buyers" about finding items on the internet for $10 less, to yes....the smelly "walkers". I do miss seeing some great people I have had the pleasure of getting to know over the years. I miss seeing someone walk away from my tables with a big smile on their face, excited about the item they just bought. but I don't miss the rude people, rude dealers (and yes there are several who are notorious for being real jerks), and the horrible food.

The problem we are facing is that almost all distributers are sold out of inventory! certain brands have less than 10% in stock at distributers and a major one just shut down for a couple weeks. handguns are selling, but rifles are sluggish. I don't think you are going to see $1000 ARs any time soon, and if you do....they won't sell. But I will tell you that all of the distributers have and are continuing to raise their prices so don't expect stuff to be the same price it was a month or so ago. the market has changed so the first show after all of this crap goes through will be very interesting to say the least

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Marines55 View Post
    I do miss seeing some great people I have had the pleasure of getting to know over the years. I miss seeing someone walk away from my tables with a big smile on their face, excited about the item they just bought. but I don't miss the rude people, rude dealers (and yes there are several who are notorious for being real jerks), and the horrible food.
    It is probably best for me that there will be no gun shows for a while. I am a compulsive buyer, and almost never walk away from a show empty handed with a pocket full of cash. As for rude dealers, I have a kind of funny story: I was at the Timmonium Antique Arms Show a few years ago, and saw a Spanish Mauser 95 carbine that that I was interested in. The bore was okay, but not good. The price on the tag was crazy high (standard practice at this show). The "seller" (he was doing very little of that) was a man in his 70's who was manning the table with his wife. I tried to get him to bring his price down to a reasonable level, but mostly got a lot of attitude from him. I didn't want to make any nasty comments in front of his wife, so I walked away. Fast forward about three years, and I saw the same carbine at an Oaks show priced at about half what it had been at Timmonium. The seller was a middle aged man who told me that the carbine had come from an estate sale collection. I bought it on the spot after a little haggling. So, if you encounter an elderly seller with attitude who will not come down on his price, I suppose you could tell him "You might as well sell it to me now at my price. Otherwise, I will just wait until you die and buy it from your estate for cheap!" Probably won't work, but hopefully you'll get his goat.
    Last edited by fritz1255; April 9th, 2020 at 07:25 AM.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast