Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Current AR-15 prices- All I can say is WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Why would anyone expect 1/2 inch groups out of what is suppose to be a battle carbine. I'm just saying. It really is a "battle" gun. If I wanted groups like that, I would buy a bolt action rifle. If I'm shooting 3 inch groups at 100 yards, that gun is hitting better than I ever will need it to.
    Because I can have both. Why accept shitty accuracy?
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    i believe that with these short barrels. the fact it operates reliably and doesnt fall apart is more important than fit/finish or accuracy.
    longer barrels like 20" id ecpect accuracy as well.
    but a fluffnbuff and a check should be all thats needed for a reliable arm. plus longevity. defect free parts.
    Barrel length has little to do with accuracy, if you want a AR to shoot consisrent 1 MOA and better you will need a match grade barrel and quality ammo, none of the milspec AR's will do that, not even the more expensive guns unless they have a quality barrel.

I don't get that kind of accuracy from my Colt's or BCM's that have milspec barrels.
    Last edited by arjohnson; April 17th, 2017 at 08:17 AM.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Because I can have both. Why accept shitty accuracy?
    I see you point. But I don't think that most of the people on here can even shoot a 1/2 group at 100 yards if they tried all day long. LOL.

I just figure that someone can buy a GOOD Ar that shoots great for $600 - $800 (hell, maybe even less now if prices keep dropping). Then they can buy a shit load of ammo with the money they have left over to shoot the darn thing and get good with it. I think that having a couple thousand rounds of ammo to shoot will do everyone much better than that high priced gun with no ammo to shoot. They may not put holes in a 1/2 inch grouping. But if they can hit that target with 3 inch groups over and over again, and do it fast and accurately, they should be alright. They only got that way by practicing. No gun will make me a good shot. Only practice will.

Or... they can buy top of the line AR for well over a grand. And not have any money left to buy ammo. But hey.... they got a good gun. They got a brand name. They can rely on this gun when things go badly. It don't matter that they can't attend training, or, buy ammo for it. They have a good quality gun. That is way more important than shooting it.

I would rather have a guy beside me in a bad time that had a decent gun and knew how to shoot it over a guy carrying a high end AR but rarely shoot it cause he spent all his money on the rifle and couldn't buy ammo.

If your rich enough to be able to buy that high end gun, pay for ammo to shoot a lot, and to attend training. Your probably not in the majority here. That is why I like seeing the prices come down. Maybe those "reliable" big name guns will actually drop down in price too.
    Last edited by Mtbkski; April 17th, 2017 at 09:55 AM.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Allegheny County)

My guess as to why we see a shit ton of "entry" guns at super low prices and not so many deals on "good" guns is this...

Vendors know that low price sells. They also know that if there were a gun panic, these low end guns that didn't cost them much to buy can be marked up significantly and they would STILL sell.

Why buy a shitload of high end guns that you can only mark up in price a little when you can make more profit selling a massive amount of highly marked up low end guns?

I seriously doubt that vendors invested massive amounts of their money buying up high end guns in anticipation of panic buying.
    The result is that they DO have massive amounts of low end guns that they bought with the expectation of selling them like hotcakes.
    Then Trump happened and they are sitting on a lot of low end guns.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Tioga County)

Magpul for instance just laid off 80 people so I would expect that once inventory levels stabilize that prices will return to normal.

With iron sights. Most targets disappear at 100yds for me.
    With a scope is different but if im scoping id want an ar10

Dunkelbergers seems to still be selling close to msrp. Local gun store.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    I see you point. But I don't think that most of the people on here can even shoot a 1/2 group at 100 yards if they tried all day long. LOL.

I just figure that someone can buy a GOOD Ar that shoots great for $600 - $800 (hell, maybe even less now if prices keep dropping). Then they can buy a shit load of ammo with the money they have left over to shoot the darn thing and get good with it. I think that having a couple thousand rounds of ammo to shoot will do everyone much better than that high priced gun with no ammo to shoot. They may not put holes in a 1/2 inch grouping. But if they can hit that target with 3 inch groups over and over again, and do it fast and accurately, they should be alright. They only got that way by practicing. No gun will make me a good shot. Only practice will.

Or... they can buy top of the line AR for well over a grand. And not have any money left to buy ammo. But hey.... they got a good gun. They got a brand name. They can rely on this gun when things go badly. It don't matter that they can't attend training, or, buy ammo for it. They have a good quality gun. That is way more important than shooting it.

I would rather have a guy beside me in a bad time that had a decent gun and knew how to shoot it over a guy carrying a high end AR but rarely shoot it cause he spent all his money on the rifle and couldn't buy ammo.

If your rich enough to be able to buy that high end gun, pay for ammo to shoot a lot, and to attend training. Your probably not in the majority here. That is why I like seeing the prices come down. Maybe those "reliable" big name guns will actually drop down in price too.
    I totally agree ammo, practice and training is way more valuable than a fancy rifle. My skills with a rifle aren't any better buying this rifle, but it I love it like a child.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

just to add, i thought the used stevens 62 i bought as a plinker for my wife was inaccurate. once i threw a cheap plastic daisy air rifle scope and no name bipod on it (yeah... it's pink, purple and taktikool with glitter paint) i realized how comparatively well it grouped while i was sighting it in.
    i realized, i suck. big time. should probably spend less on guns and more on ammo to shoot them.

bump and doublepost, sorry.
    went to a bunch of LGS today. so far everyone is still selling ar's in the $600+ range. including deltons. ruger 556, pay out $640-$700
    before tax and $5background.

some of these places are $150+/- price diff compared to online if you look at gun/shipping/tax/$45transfer(vs $5 background) so comparing OTD prices.
    didn't try to haggle anyone. had more than enough on hand too, just couldn't justify the price differences.
    will probably scour the nets and pick out the model i want then just transfer it.
    found one place whose staff had terrible muzzle control. i had a gun pointed at me again(it was unloaded this time) i'm starting to lose count of the number of times i've been on the bang end of a loaded or unloaded firearm

(Dauphin County)

The so quote entry level guns with a lack of fit and finish, can be made better with the owner's time and elbow grease. I'm not talking about just changing the furniture, sometimes a trigger job or upgrade is what you need. There are dozens of youtube videos out there on accurizing and how to make your AR more reliable with what came in it. Krylon can fix the fit and finish problem unless the rifle is truly a basket case.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast