Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default GunVault MultiVault

I posted awhile back my desire to have a safe for my gun.
    I have small kids in the house, and I wanted a solution for me that allowed a gun to be accessed in case of an emergency.

The consensus for my situation was the gunvault biometirc. I did my research and was ready to buy through amazon model GV2000 biometric.

What stopped me were the reviews. Just about every review trashed the quality and biometric features of the unit.

I thought the biometric choice would work great. The gun could be out of sight until needed, and then I could open it with my fingers.

Anyone have the negative experiences mentioned above?
    If yes, is there an alternative?

(Berks County)

Default Re: GunVault MultiVault

USAF 77-79, SAC, DMAFB, 390 MIMS, Titan II Crew Chief

I have the single finger print version by dunham's specifically for the reasons you outlined (kids).

Like the reviews of the safe you are looking at ....it is finicky. The only way I would lock the safe at night is if I had a dog or alarm system to indicate someone was in my house.

I have an alarm and I sleep with the gun on my nightstand, I use the biometric when I have to step away from my gun for one reason or another...we have an understanding that no one goes near my side of the bed at night under the threat of severe bodily injury and grounding.

You need to get a safe....I got a 10 gun sentry safe from Walmart for about 350 including shipping. If your credit is decent, you can do 12 months at 0%.

In addition to the alarm, I also have several video cameras that record over IP, hence the mediocre safe . I have insurance on the safe and it's contents....everything is replaceable.

I think I'll get at least enough images to prosecute, probably would take at least a minute to remove the safe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EandGWZ; April 22nd, 2012 at 03:46 PM.

I have the non-biometric MultiVault. The keypad allows you to open in it under 2 seconds, even in the dark. I didn't want a bandaid to prevent me from getting to my weapon.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by AcidResGambit View Post
    I have the non-biometric MultiVault. The keypad allows you to open in it under 2 seconds, even in the dark. I didn't want a bandaid to prevent me from getting to my weapon.
    Me too. It's rather simple and fast to open.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by AcidResGambit View Post
    Thanks for this advice. I'm looking for this vault on Amazon right now but can't seem to find it. The only ones I'm finding are the biometric type. Would you happen to know the model number for the one you use?

(Chester County)

I have a GunVault Biometric safe and it has NEVER failed to pop open within 1 second of placing my index finger on the scanner. I programmed the middle, index and ring fingers of both hands just in case of the above mentioned band-aid scenario. It comes with an AC adapter with an internal 9V battery backup in case of a power outage (I keep mine plugged into an external battery backup that I also plug my cordless phone and a lamp into) and also a key should you find yourself suddenly digitless (which of course would make entering a combination or using a key quite difficult too, not to mention pulling a trigger.) I also programmed my oldest child's fingers to open it as well as my dad's so in the event of my untimely demise, no one has to remember the combination or find the key.

I've read reviews about how it might fail, but never anything negative from someone who actually owns one. For the purpose you mentioned, easy access to your gun for you, yet inaccessible to small kids, it fits the bill perfectly. Just keep in mind that it's not meant to be fire or theft proof. Just a deterrent for curious or mischievous kids.

I have the MultiVault model, and along with a 1911, a snubby .38 and a Glock 30 with spare mags and speed loaders, I also have a USB memory stick with a single text document that contains a clue that my daughter and father will be able to decipher to figure out the combination to a more robust safe that I keep important documents and yet another USB memory stick with details about my medical and life insurance, will, advance health care directives, other legal documents, attorney's name and the combos to my gun safes.

The only flaws I've found are that the inside shelf was not padded like the bottom so I put my own padding on it, and, now this might sound trivial but I found to be quite inconvenient, the top slopes down toward the back at a slight angle, so I can't put the base of my cordless phone on it because it slides off. It's just a personal preference, but I would like to have my phone as readily accessible as my gun should something go bump in the night.

I have the GV2000C-DLX, which can be found via the following Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Gunvault-GV200...5206614&sr=8-1

The deluxe model is the way to go as it includes the AC adapter, while retaining batteries for backup.

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Nothing more useless in the middle of the night than an inaccessible gun in a safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast