Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: If you "can shoot more" via reloading, isn't that saving money?

I think they mean your firearms budget won't change, but you will be able to shoot more within the same budget.
    Last edited by Breadman03; January 5th, 2012 at 10:20 PM.

(Venango County)

Speaking numerically, round for round, you will save money. However, if you shoot more rounds, you might not be.

Now, then you can factor in handloads for accuracy out of a .223, or a .308, compared to match grade ammo that you might not get as good of results from. That in itself is a whole different story.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by gfanikf View Post
    North Korea.

Yeah, I figure even I go slow and don't really start till I move to a house with a garage...which by default will be "The Armory" (really I think I'm getting a sign made with that to hang up lol) the best thing to do might be get brass and maybe just do depriming and cleaning to practice.

Part of the issue is storing the powder and primers, since I lease and my dad (one of my bigger firearms supporters) doesn't want it stored around his soon to be granddaughter...I'm trying to get to be able to store it at my parents house. lol
    Why? Gunpowder and primers are perfectly safe to store in the house, as long as you don't store them inside your oven, on top of your stove, or in the furnace. My neighbor keeps his in his kitchen, in a cabinet next to the fridge. I'd be more worried about storing lead where a kid can get to it, honestly.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Speaking numerically, round for round, you will save money. However, if you shoot more rounds, you might not be.
    So is that when (if I said) not factoring in the equipment and only the material cost?

Now, then you can factor in handloads for accuracy out of a .223, or a .308, compared to match grade ammo that you might not get as good of results from. That in itself is a whole different story.
    Considering I'm working on basic aiming and other areas, I can live with the lack of match quality ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Breadman03 View Post
    I think the mean your firearms budget won't change, but you will be able to shoot more within the same budget.
    Well considering inflation and a child on the way, being able to actually stick to a budget of say $50-$100 bucks a month on ammo and consistently in 2012 would be a win for my budget.

Luckily I have kept some of the brass I've shot...not a lot, and I'm kind of kicking myself for the tons I've tossed, though I've also when possible given it to others at the range who reloaded.

Ironically I just bought a ton of Russian steel ammo. If I said how much I you'd all point out the nice presses I could have gotten or just components!

That said going with molly's advice perhaps it's best just to get brass and bullets...and when storage is taken care of powder and primers. I'd even get the Lee Classic Kit to demo, but after playing a youtube video with the guy hammering and claiming his wife was asleep, my wife commented that she wouldn't sleep that lightly and would not want me doing that. lol Granted with her at her moms house till she has the baby (which is near mid January) soon...I could try a little here and there (hell once again if just clean and depriming). At least the cat won't complain about the noise (though I'd keep her in the bedroom as I wouldn't want her near powder or primers.

Time spent/wasted reloading is often ignored. It eats a lot of time, from looking for the lost brass from auto-ejectors, to cleaning, examining, prepping, take down; it all adds up. Are you a busy kind of guy?

Some calibers better lend themselves to reloading- revolvers don't eject brass. Rifle rounds cost more resulting in a greater return/savings. Some calibers are best reloaded for (when is the last time you saw .32 s&w long in the store? or 9x25 Dillon? or even .41 mag?)

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mollymayhem82 View Post
    Why? Gunpowder and primers are perfectly safe to store in the house, as long as you don't store them inside your oven, on top of your stove, or in the furnace. My neighbor keeps his in his kitchen, in a cabinet next to the fridge.
    Well it's more due to the fact that regardless of how stable it is, if something where to happen, my landlord could use storing gunpowder against me. Also it is gunpowder and like guns for some, there is a barrier to keeping that in the house. I think he'd most likely want to just see how it can be easily it can be safely stored and inert except for fire. I'm trying to find some common household items that are more dangerous that people normally store. I tried lawnmower gas, but (being a lawyer too) correctly pointed out its in the garage. Basement which would make a great place to reload (as it has a built in bar table setup (it's never been used). It's just might not be good to store though. Actually my mom might be the bigger issue..though she is the one who told me and my dad about the Oaks Show and coupon this weekend, so anythings possible.

Shame I can't store them in a shed attached to my house (I figure extreme cold could be very bad).

I'd be more worried about storing lead where a kid can get to it, honestly.
    Truthfully I'm only going to use the types of bullets that don't use lead or have it covered so essentially you can't get lead contact. I'm bothered enough with handling bullets and potential lead issues anyway, I'm not adding new potential exposure. lol

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mootness View Post
    Time spent/wasted reloading is often ignored. It eats a lot of time, from looking for the lost brass from auto-ejectors, to cleaning, examining, prepping, take down; it all adds up. Are you a busy kind of guy?
    Yes and no. During the weekdays yes, but I can easily spend a night goofing around playing the computer or something else. I also don't need a lot of sleep.

However, with a kid on the way. Time is going to be a premium (luckily with have a lot of involved family in the area), but it might be good for when I want to do gun stuff, but I can't go to the range, even if I only do 20 to 50 bullets a night.

Some calibers better lend themselves to reloading- revolvers don't eject brass. Rifle rounds cost more resulting in a greater return/savings. Some calibers are best reloaded for (when is the last time you saw .32 s&w long in the store? or 9x25 Dillon? or even .41 mag?)
    Well one thing is I'm thinking and looking into rifles, so I figure getting started on pistols, since I love 45ACP is a good start. 9MM is generally cheap, but 45ACP (despite being a mag only half the size of a 92FS) always seems to go faster!

Somewhere around Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by mollymayhem82 View Post
    Why? Gunpowder and primers are perfectly safe to store in the house, as long as you don't store them inside your oven, on top of your stove, or in the furnace. My neighbor keeps his in his kitchen, in a cabinet next to the fridge. I'd be more worried about storing lead where a kid can get to it, honestly.
    I store mine inside a propane furnace so the kids don't find it.

(Montgomery County)

Pour some of the smokeless powder on a spoon, and put it to a flame on the stove or with a lighter.. You will be very unimpressed.. I know I was...

Something to factor into your math. If you are shooting at public indoor ranges, you will be losing a good % of your brass, either when it flys forward of the shooting line or someone else sweeps up your brass and tosses it. Or you have a hot round and the brass ejects into a black hole.. Don't laugh it happens.

Be kind, offer to clean up the brass for other shooters, ask them if they are keeping their brass. Most will look at you funny and say no, or say yes and toss it to the range buckets anyway (i hate those people).

I am a brass whore. Sometimes I go to the club range only to pick up brass.

I also pick up brass from the matches I go to. Buying once fired is another option, at least to get you started. You'll be handling the brass a lot before the round makes it into your firearm.. Examine it each step and toss anything that looks off.

(Susquehanna County)

gfanikf sez:

So $11.99 for 100 rounds of brass 45 acp. I mean one thing is I am ignoring the initial parts investment (it's called the Holidays :P) Still even assuming more initial brass. It seems like yes I can shoot more. But spending only 11.99 for 100 rounds of 45ACP is a huge savings. If I could spend a few hours every couple of days and shoot 500 rounds of 45 ACP for around 55 bucks a month, I know my wife will be happy and it seems like real savings to me, not just shooting more.

Does this make sense to anyone?
    So if you spend $2,000 to fix your car does that mean you've saved $18,000 because you didn't have to buy a new one? That's the kind of thinking that got us into the economic trouble we have now. It's also the kind of thinking that my wife uses when she goes clothes shopping! Lucky me! She saved me $68 at Kohls because she only paid $30 for a pair of togs that were over-priced to begin with.

The truth is if you include the cost of all your equipment, your very first cartridge costs you about $375. Once you get up around the 10,000th cartridge you've diluted the expediture on the equipment enough to where you're paying around $0.09 per cartridge.

But, it is still an expense and you're much better off treating it as such. Especially when your addiction reaches the stages that mine has gotten to! I buy things in bulk, 5000 bullets at a time in one order for each caliber I load, powder by the 8# canister, primers by the case. The only good thing is I'm retired and my reloading time doesn't take away from family or work time!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast