Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Threaded View

(Washington County)

Default Scared people causing me problems at home.

Well I got my first complaints and it happened when I least expected it. At my apartment.

First off this is not so much an OC story as people being out right terrified at the thought of someone having a gun along with apartment management that share the same ideas.

So I live in an Apartment complex so not as much privacy as you would get if you had a home. I am an avid shooter and go the range as much as I can and seeing as the range is only 5 min from home it happens a lot. I do not normally carry OC but I had so much stuff to carry I just put my IPSC belt on with Sig 226 and head out with my SGS 5, AR and Range bag. The rifles where in black soft cases and slung over my back as I was loading up this guy comes up and asks "what department I work for." Understandably question as I am average build clean shaving and sporting a High and Tight hair cut for the National Guard. I reply "I am not a police officer" and go a bout my business. When I come back There is a family getting into there car. I did not see them by my GF that I live with told me you should have seen the look on the parents faces when they saw me take the stuff out of the car. This all happened Thursday Last week. It seems that they called the Apartment Management as I got a phone call from the landlord on Friday asking for my side of the story. I explained that I was do noting wrong and just going to the range for some target practice she was a little uneasy from the sound in her voice and the conversation ended with please make sure to keep them in a bag or something. Then today Monday I got a call from the Owner of the Apartment complex and he was concerned about the instance. I explained to him just the same I was using the rifles that where in cases to go to the range for some target practices. He said "that is fine I know you use them for your work." I was like well I work security. And he replied "no the National Guard." I was taken back about this I had forgotten that I informed the apartment complex that I would be leaving for Basic and they where going to need to take maintenance requests for my GF because up to this point any order had to come though me because my name was the one on the lease. He did admit in this conversation that I had the right to do what I was doing so that's good. He finished with I just wanted to make sure everything was all right. I replied I am fine I was not the one who was scared and asked him to make sure the other people who complained knew i was in the right.

Some things I wish I would have done differently talked to the guy that asked if I was police officer more and explained that you do not need to be in law enforcement to take up shooting.

Second jumped on the comment well you use them for your job comment from Owner. He probably thinks I have full auto military issue equipment in my apartment which is not the case and could cause problems later down the road.

There is not much I can do about this as we are locked into the lease until next July and even if there was I leave for Ft Benning in 35 days. Though if this requires another phone call I will view this as harassment for exercising my god given rights and really start to take offense and seriously consider taking action.
    Last edited by Mr_Anderson; August 3rd, 2009 at 09:56 AM.