Hi I have some questions about carrying shotguns in a car within PA. Two separate instances:

1. Going from my residence to a PA “public range” to target shoot a shot gun. What is the proper protocol? I’m assuming the gun should be in some kind of case or gunny sack, unloaded, with ammo kept in a separate container. Go straight to range, then pack everything up and go straight home. Any issues with this? I am not a LTCF holder. I do not yet have a hunting license, but would have a PA public range license.

2. Suppose I was going to visit family member, also in PA. I want to bring my unloaded shotgun to their house. The next day, I travel with my family member to the public range and we shoot, then return to their house. Later that night (or maybe the next day) I want to return to my home with my shotgun. What are the potential issues here? Does visiting my family member and bringing my gun so we can go to the range later that day (or the following day) meet the “vacation” or “recreation” element of the carrying firearms in cars without a LTCF?

Again, in all of these situations I am talking about carrying unloaded shotguns (full length barrels, standard long stock hunting shotguns) in a sack or case, and ammo separately in a different container.

I feel like the laws around doing the most basic things with a long gun in this state without a LTCF are overly complex, but it is what it is. I’m I decide to get my license to hunt this fall, I’m sure I will be back with more questions about carrying unloaded shotguns to and from public State game lands to hunt, but let’s sort out the first two scenarios first. I read the laws verbatim, but I’m not a lawyer. I think I understand them, but I’m not sure. Thanks.